Ebay

Cool gone up ron£36 now.

I got 7 boxes of 6 brand new balls for nowt.

This is for box of 6 to test the water and flying.

They are orange mordant ones and they list on their website for £13.50 each
I'll flog these then list another six but I'll put buy it now at £40
So you’re just testing the boundaries

I thought the Buy it Now price only disappears for an individual who makes a bid.

If you haven't bid, the BIN price is still there for you.

I've never sold on there but bought plenty. I wouldn't dream of scamming a seller for a few quid, there's some shit houses about. eBay should do more to protect sellers especially on high value items.
Ive sold 18k items and I think I'd say I've had 5 scammers, currently got one now but I know I'll win the case.

The issue most sellers have is down to lack of knowledge, don't ever send yodel or Evri, always send Royal mail, dpd or a more premium courier and make sure its signed for or atleast tracked 24/48 via royal mail and with insurance levels that cover your item. If you are selling a mobile phone or any electronic item you write down the IMEI number or any identifying number and have it on the listing, then they can't do a switcharoo return. Never send to a different address to the phone on ebay otherwise you aren't covered. If they are asking way too many questions before or even after the sale but before you've shipped you just cancel the sale. Another big one is any collection in person is cash only otherwise they just open a charge back and you have no proof of collection as half the time people don't use the code and some banks don't accept it as proof.

Granted some buyers are scumbags but if you protect yourself it's pretty safe. Thankfully I am now at a decent level where I have the contact email of the head of ebay sneakers so any issues are solved thanks to him.

Haven't used ebay for years, and would never sell electrical items but have had some odd behaviour from buyers over the years.

One decided they weren't going to pay cos they won the item too cheap.

One thought it was OK to wait upto a month before paying incase I had some other items she wanted to buy then batch up. Which I would've been she just asked instead of assumming it & refused to communicate after invoices were repeatedly sent out. Kicked off when I blocked her for persistent behaviour.

A few twisting cos an air mail item from UK to US taking more than a couple of days.

I've never sold on there but bought plenty. I wouldn't dream of scamming a seller for a few quid, there's some shit houses about. eBay should do more to protect sellers especially on high value items.
Its class in the main, however, as ever you have to be careful. Buying you are covered as can be, selling is a different story when things go wrong.

Ive sold 18k items and I think I'd say I've had 5 scammers, currently got one now but I know I'll win the case.

The issue most sellers have is down to lack of knowledge, don't ever send yodel or Evri, always send Royal mail, dpd or a more premium courier and make sure its signed for or atleast tracked 24/48 via royal mail and with insurance levels that cover your item. If you are selling a mobile phone or any electronic item you write down the IMEI number or any identifying number and have it on the listing, then they can't do a switcharoo return. Never send to a different address to the phone on ebay otherwise you aren't covered. If they are asking way too many questions before or even after the sale but before you've shipped you just cancel the sale. Another big one is any collection in person is cash only otherwise they just open a charge back and you have no proof of collection as half the time people don't use the code and some banks don't accept it as proof.

Granted some buyers are scumbags but if you protect yourself it's pretty safe. Thankfully I am now at a decent level where I have the contact email of the head of ebay sneakers so any issues are solved thanks to him.
The majority of the sellers who were scammed were selling reasonably high value items which scammers are attracted to. If I was selling loads of cheap items I wouldn't be too concerned.

The majority of the sellers who were scammed were selling reasonably high value items which scammers are attracted to. If I was selling loads of cheap items I wouldn't be too concerned.
Majority are phones where the seller doesn't take down the IMEI number, if you put that in the listing scammers just bypass it, or they send it first class thinking they are being helpful. I'm in no way siding with the scammers but if you follow a few basic steps you can save yourself from majority of scammers. You'll still get the scammers trying but if they send back a different phone you then get an action fraud crime number and ebay refund you. Long and annoying but you are covered if you do everything correct, btw I'm not sticking up for ebay here, I complain to them on a weekly basis.

I'm pretty sure once a bid is placed the buy it now becomes inactive. The buy it now is for someone to buy it quickly before any bids are placed.
This is what happens. If I want summit and it's auction and buy it now but I will be bidding on it then I'll hoy in the cheapest bid. It's usually 99p but then it removes the buy it now and stops someone else from getting it and will usually win if for less given you don't pay the buy it now option

Majority are phones where the seller doesn't take down the IMEI number, if you put that in the listing scammers just bypass it, or they send it first class thinking they are being helpful. I'm in no way siding with the scammers but if you follow a few basic steps you can save yourself from majority of scammers. You'll still get the scammers trying but if they send back a different phone you then get an action fraud crime number and ebay refund you. Long and annoying but you are covered if you do everything correct, btw I'm not sticking up for ebay here, I complain to them on a weekly basis.
They were mostly electrical items no phones on the videos I watched. One woman selling expensive designer bags she got scammed on two.
The sellers were taking all the precautions mentioned but eBay weren't interested. eBay told one seller to give back half the item cost to somebody who sent a different and broken food blender to the one sent. He refused to do that and opened a case against the buyer. The seller lost and because he'd opened a case the option to reimburse half was gone. So he lost the whole cost.
Uploading your evidence eBay only allow one photo as your proof. It's heavily weighted against sellers. So many of them saying they were leaving the platform. Which is a shame as less choice for buyers.
Obviously these sellers getting ripped off are in the minority, eBay is worldwide and massive. It won't happen to every seller but it's certainly happened to plenty of them.

Last edited:
They were mostly electrical items no phones on the videos I watched. One woman selling expensive designer bags she got scammed on two.
The sellers were taking all the precautions mentioned but eBay weren't interested. eBay told one seller to give back half the item cost to somebody who sent a different and broken food blender to the one sent. He refused to do that and opened a case against the buyer. The seller lost and because he'd opened a case the option to reimburse half was gone. So he lost the whole cost.
Uploading your evidence eBay only allow one photo as your proof. It's heavily weighted against sellers. So many of them saying they were leaving the platform. Which is a shame as less choice for buyers.
Obviously these sellers getting ripped off are in the minority, eBay is worldwide and massive. It won't happen to every seller but it's certainly happened to plenty of them.
Its certainly not great, but the bags if expensive (by that I mean real designer) now need to be sent to authentication so you can't be scammed as ebay confirm it's genuine then send to buyer and any return has to go through them. Granted you just need a person having a bad day but that is easily solved.

If you get scammed on ebay you go to Action Fraud and get a case number and ebay 99.9999% of the time will refund you, it's annoying and yes you need to waste your own time but if ebay was just siding with sellers you'd hear the exact same complaints from buyers, they can't really win.

It could be made much better but it could also be much worse, look at fbm, gumtree, and then mecari and the likes which are considerably worse.

Its certainly not great, but the bags if expensive (by that I mean real designer) now need to be sent to authentication so you can't be scammed as ebay confirm it's genuine then send to buyer and any return has to go through them. Granted you just need a person having a bad day but that is easily solved.

If you get scammed on ebay you go to Action Fraud and get a case number and ebay 99.9999% of the time will refund you, it's annoying and yes you need to waste your own time but if ebay was just siding with sellers you'd hear the exact same complaints from buyers, they can't really win.

It could be made much better but it could also be much worse, look at fbm, gumtree, and then mecari and the likes which are considerably worse.
That's the thing though they shouldn't be siding with one or the other. They should take each case on merit and remain neutral. But a buyer can show the flimsiest of evidence that they have sent something back and eBay side with them. I think it's too much work for ebay to investigate every scam so it's easier to just say well he's sent something back that's good enough for us. Some of the sellers did eventually get their money back. One was even told by eBay to get a crime number from their local police station. It's a bit of a piss on I can see why they just left eBay instead.

No, you can bid on buy it now but if the bidding exceeds the buy it now price you can no longer buy at that price...

Logon or register to see this image
Cars are a whole different ball game, that also has a reserve (pointless and expensive) so how the listings work all change. If it was a set of cricket balls the buy it now would disappear once a bid was placed if you have an auction, basically eBay dont want auctions, they want everything listed as buy it now with immediate payment as they only real make money when somebody pays for an item. I say all this but theres probably thousands of listings with bids, no reserves and still a buy it now visible as the site has more bugs than London Zoo.
That's the thing though they shouldn't be siding with one or the other. They should take each case on merit and remain neutral. But a buyer can show the flimsiest of evidence that they have sent something back and eBay side with them. I think it's too much work for ebay to investigate every scam so it's easier to just say well he's sent something back that's good enough for us. Some of the sellers did eventually get their money back. One was even told by eBay to get a crime number from their local police station. It's a bit of a piss on I can see why they just left eBay instead.
They should remain neutral but you agree to their T&C's when signing up, obviously nobody reads them plus if a buyer opens a charge back the bank sides with their customer with the same evidence so eBay are just covering themselves, its not great but its how everyone does it. You basically have to prove you have been frauded before eBay care. I agree they don't care about scams, thousands of businesses on private accounts breaking the law but as long as eBay get funds they let them carry on, thats my biggest pet peeve, going to Leicester next month for an eBay event and will be bringing it up again to the CEO, theres a group of sellers who are putting together a case to send to the CMA about the lack of investigating eBay does on a few things.

This is what happens. If I want summit and it's auction and buy it now but I will be bidding on it then I'll hoy in the cheapest bid. It's usually 99p but then it removes the buy it now and stops someone else from getting it and will usually win if for less given you don't pay the buy it now option
Aaaaaaah. I nivver knew that. I’ll give it a go.

Cars are a whole different ball game, that also has a reserve (pointless and expensive) so how the listings work all change. If it was a set of cricket balls the buy it now would disappear once a bid was placed if you have an auction, basically eBay dont want auctions, they want everything listed as buy it now with immediate payment as they only real make money when somebody pays for an item. I say all this but theres probably thousands of listings with bids, no reserves and still a buy it now visible as the site has more bugs than London Zoo.

They should remain neutral but you agree to their T&C's when signing up, obviously nobody reads them plus if a buyer opens a charge back the bank sides with their customer with the same evidence so eBay are just covering themselves, its not great but its how everyone does it. You basically have to prove you have been frauded before eBay care. I agree they don't care about scams, thousands of businesses on private accounts breaking the law but as long as eBay get funds they let them carry on, thats my biggest pet peeve, going to Leicester next month for an eBay event and will be bringing it up again to the CEO, theres a group of sellers who are putting together a case to send to the CMA about the lack of investigating eBay does on a few things.
Yeah the chargeback was one of the main scams. One seller had this happen two months after the sale. eBay agreed with the bank even though positive FB had been left by the buyer.

Back