Earliest and best Christmas gaming memories

PickNickering

Reserve Squad
my best Christmas gaming memory is 1983 when I got a Spectrum and Football Manager. Must have spent about 3 days solid playing it. I’d played games in the arcades before but I’d never seen anything like this. Imagine being able to manage a football team, buying players and selecting the team! Only problem was I didn’t read the manual so I didn’t know how to save the game to tape. Every time I had to start back on the fourth division! Plenty of gaming memories since then but nothing quite as memorable as this!

my best Christmas gaming memory is 1983 when I got a Spectrum and Football Manager. Must have spent about 3 days solid playing it. I’d played games in the arcades before but I’d never seen anything like this. Imagine being able to manage a football team, buying players and selecting the team! Only problem was I didn’t read the manual so I didn’t know how to save the game to tape. Every time I had to start back on the fourth division! Plenty of gaming memories since then but nothing quite as memorable as this!
Similar to yours mate when I got my Amiga (Championship manager) was amazing , much better when I was younger and I opened up an Atari game so ripped through the presents to get my console to play it on only to be told she had ran out of credit on the catalogue :eek:.
So I got an Atari game just nothing to play it on 🤣.

Similar to yours mate when I got my Amiga (Championship manager) was amazing , much better when I was younger and I opened up an Atari game so ripped through the presents to get my console to play it on only to be told she had ran out of credit on the catalogue :eek:.
So I got an Atari game just nothing to play it on 🤣.
Amiga was quality like. People talk about the jump between 16 bit and the first PlayStation but when you’d been used to the 8 bit computers and you first used an Amiga, the difference was jaw dropping!

Mine almost identical and probably same year: got a Spectrum but I remember getting Horrace Goes Skiing and some ridiculously hard flight simulator game.

Watching that "horizons" tape load for the first time was magical !

c64 , raid over moscow used to play for hours

then got a amiga (still in loft) used to go to computer club chesterlee street (opposite police station) and be full of amiga's and every screen had xcopy on 😂 1 day i went in and everyone was copying "cook book" , all these kids and cook book everywhere, wasn't till year's later and you see these terrorist's getting raided and mentions they have copy of cook book :eek::eek:

beach head , oh the good old days , me parents said they couldn't afford a c64 , was a teachers strike one day and when got home door locked , went to other door and looked thru window and c64 setup on floor 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Not my first console, but I got a PS2 for Christmas 2001 with Fifa 2002 and Gran Turismo 3. Still my favourite console of all time, loved that thing.

Before that I just remember getting PS1 games for Christmas, usually a fair few copied games off someone me Dad worked with.

The original Mortal Kombat, would have been 8 or 9 when I got it. Always remember the first fight and my dad managed to do sub zero’s fatality without knowing what he’d done, blew my tiny little mind

Tony Hawks, literally ignored the gf over the next few days, feel really bad about it now of course. Thiat was xbox. I did it again when I got a PC with GTA San Andreas.

"PC widow" was the term apparently.

Mario Kart Double Dash for the Gamecube. Found it in the cupboard unwrapped about 6 days before Xmas, sneaked it out every night during the night and pretended to act surprised, loaded up the game and found I'd unlocked everything already.

Opening Mortal Kombat 3 for the original Playstation when I was about 7/8.

Thinking 'I don't have a playstation' then the penny dropping and shaking like a shitting dog with excitement. Then my Da went down Town End Farm club and wouldn't set it up til Boxing Day, the tosser :lol:

Getting a spectrum 48k circa 1984? It came with 6 Sinclair games, Horace, match point etc. I already knew I was getting one so had amassed a few C90 cassette tapes full of copies off my mates ready for the day. The added bonus for me was the portable colour telly my parents had got me.

an atari, can't remember the model (st2600?) but was black with a multicolour strip somewhere on it, I also remember it broke and my dad replaced it with the brown one with the metal toggle switches, I remember playing some sort of tank game, pac-man and a few others, was class. Used to love my mega drive anarl, think they got it from joplings, loved that shop as a bairn, same with Josephs.

Back