Dust

Is there any way to stop this? Since I’ve moved back to my mams house for a bit the place is absolutely full of dust. No matter how many times I hoover up it just gets caked in dust almost immediately.

Is there anything specific I can do to stop this? Suppose the ultimate solution would be an air purifier and keeping soft furnishings to a minimum but I’d love to know where it all comes from. I’ve got a dust allergy and it’s starting to give me a snotty nose and a tickly cough.
We found out the bairn is allergic to dust. Gets his nose all blocked and sets off asthma. We keep an air purifier on in his room now. The doctor recommended less cushions and soft toys. His bedding gets put on the allergy setting in the wash too, might be worth checking if your machine has one?

Mostly dead skin isn't it?
I once pulled open a drawer on the dermatology ward. Was full of sheets of sandpaper.
It made me think about dust in a whole new way.
I also wondered why someone had spilt the dregs of a cornflake packet on the floor and not swept up.

When we first moved into our house I built some fitted wardrobes out of MDF. I didn't have an extractor then so would tape my Henry Hoover to the router and use that. Our lass gave me a hand and I told her as soon as I fire up the router switch the hoover one. I started routering and she switched the hoover on like I asked. There was still loads of dust and when I switched the router off there was silence. She'd switched the hoover on but it was still switched off at the socket.

When we first moved into our house I built some fitted wardrobes out of MDF. I didn't have an extractor then so would tape my Henry Hoover to the router and use that. Our lass gave me a hand and I told her as soon as I fire up the router switch the hoover one. I started routering and she switched the hoover on like I asked. There was still loads of dust and when I switched the router off there was silence. She'd switched the hoover on but it was still switched off at the socket.
:lol: Similar just the other day. I was drilling and said to our lass catch the dust with the hoover as I drill and she just held the pipe under where I was drilling without it turned on. I was just looking at her and she was saying……what?…..what?

Is there any way to stop this? Since I’ve moved back to my mams house for a bit the place is absolutely full of dust. No matter how many times I hoover up it just gets caked in dust almost immediately.

Is there anything specific I can do to stop this? Suppose the ultimate solution would be an air purifier and keeping soft furnishings to a minimum but I’d love to know where it all comes from. I’ve got a dust allergy and it’s starting to give me a snotty nose and a tickly cough.
I have had terrible hay fever this year and bought one of these purifiers LEVOIT Core 300s which sits next to the bed, its fine for me to sleep with my head right next to it.

It was such a massive change I've since bought some of the little ones LEVOIT Core 200s for my home office and the living room (fwiw they dont have the sensor the big one does so dont automatically step up and down the filtration based on what its detecting if thats a concern)

They rip dust and stuff our of the air (it hilarious hearing the big one panic if i spray deodorant in the same room as it) and have really helped me

Last edited:
I have had terrible hay fever this year and bought one of these purifiers LEVOIT Core 300s which sits next to the bed, its fine for me to sleep with my head right next to it.

It was such a massive change I've since bought some of the little ones LEVOIT Core 200s for my home office and the living room (fwiw they dont have the sensor the big one does so dont automatically step up and down the filtration based on what its detecting if thats a concern)

They rip dust and stuff our of the air (it hilarious hearing the big one panic if i spray deodorant in the same room as it) and have really helped me

How have you found this longer term? I’ve had a 300s delivered this morning and rushed into buying an Ikea dumb one yesterday because we got back from holiday on Friday and the house was freezing so had to put some heating on. Obviously the radiators were dusty so we’ve all be sneezing none stop and no amount of cleaning them has eased it. Got the 300s in the living room since that’s a bigger space and the Ikea one in the bedroom. Both currently going at full speed.

Have you tried the different filters they do for them?

Back