Durham v Students, Riverside 26-28th March

The students are making a good fist of this, I thought Whaits and Gerantla looked the part facing Potts and Coggers. Gibson did well even though he was limping quite a lot.
He did it when doing the newish fangled sliding to stop the ball thing. It is absolutely not needed and will inevitably lead to pointless injuries.

The students are making a good fist of this, I thought Whaits and Gerantla looked the part facing Potts and Coggers. Gibson did well even though he was limping quite a lot.
I've said it on here before, it's ridiculous we haven't looked at Gorantla. He got 100 against us last year, he got 100 for Warks 2nds last year and looks at ease today. Also a double hundred for Essex 2s the year before last.

It beggars belief that he isn't contracted somewhere, I doubt there is a better non contracted player in the country.

McKinney said in his post match interview that it was a decent pitch. I had to leave early today, but I agree, the students have been good value, and this is a good workout for Durham.

I've said it on here before, it's ridiculous we haven't looked at Gorantla. He got 100 against us last year, he got 100 for Warks 2nds last year and looks at ease today. Also a double hundred for Essex 2s the year before last.

It beggars belief that he isn't contracted somewhere, I doubt there is a better non contracted player in the country.
Take away his top 3 scores ever he averages 13. Simple really.
Warwickshire let him go for let's be kind not fitting in. You wouldn't touch the 13 average batsperson for any reason.

Last edited:

He is, apparently Warwickshire. Was there playing a lot last summer.

Edit - didn’t know he had been released! Apparently his uni coaches have concerns about his appetite for the game and concentration in the field. It’s what comes with having a multi millionaire dad and houses in India, UK and the Caribbean…

Last edited:
Take away his top 3 scores ever he averages 13. Simple really.
Warwickshire let him go for let's be kind not fitting in. You wouldn't touch the 13 average batsperson for any reason.
That's just codswallop. He has many scores against good opposition - 2 50s in the same game for Essex 2nds last year I've just seen.

You also can't just take everyone's good innings away :lol: Let's take away all scores below 20 and check the average.

His NEPL season last year wasn't half bad either.

I was looking at his cricinfo profile earlier and he’s not played a great deal of cricket for any 2nd XI in the last two years - he’s served time for Essex, Worcestershire and Warwickshire during that time so clearly he hasn’t impressed sufficiently wherever he’s been.

That’s not me saying they’re right, I’ve no idea, but he’s still very young in cricketing parlance so hopefully he gets his break sooner rather than later.

I was looking at his cricinfo profile earlier and he’s not played a great deal of cricket for any 2nd XI in the last two years - he’s served time for Essex, Worcestershire and Warwickshire during that time so clearly he hasn’t impressed sufficiently wherever he’s been.

That’s not me saying they’re right, I’ve no idea, but he’s still very young in cricketing parlance so hopefully he gets his break sooner rather than later.
The reason he hasn't played heaps of games is due to, unsurprisingly, being at University.

Can add 110* against Durham 2nds to that list as well. I agree something doesn't add up - I'll stand by the claim that he's the most talented player in the country without a contract. Given he's in the area he's certainly worth a look.

Looking at the scorecard looks like the students put up a bit if resistence and the bowlers got a decent workout. Must admit i feared a sub 100 all out score.

Certainly seems that way, given the forecast for today it’s clearly going to end in a draw but I think Campbell will be fairly happy with the time spent in the middle for most of the lads.

We’ve got Yorkshire at the weekend from memory, think it’s one of them 2-day jobs on Saturday and Sunday where I expect we’ll see a side resembling what we can expect will lineup against Hampfrica next Friday. Mind it’ll likely be another 13/14 player affair with unlimited wickets for the batting side.

Back