Durham v Leicestershire +one day cup)

By virtue of sheer number of balls bowled. Weighell and Pringle out averaged him.

He seems a good jobbing bowler but is never going to win you matches.

Pringle played 1 match and got 1 wicket

Weighell played 3 matches and took 15 wickets. 5 wks per match is a very good return, better than Salisbury at 4.4 per match and the same as Rushworth at 12 matches and 60 wickets. However I don't think anyone would say Weighell is as good a Rushy. So I think the comparison with Salisbury is unfair, Salisbury played more matches and conceivably played on flatter pitches in the middle/end of the season.

What's a match winning performance for a bowler? Objectively 5-fer is the only measure, equivalent to a batsman's century. Weighell and Salisbury took one each.

On a 5-fer per game basis Wood is way ahead 2 5fers in 4 matches and 17 wickets in total.

Pringle played 1 match and got 1 wicket

Weighell played 3 matches and took 15 wickets. 5 wks per match is a very good return, better than Salisbury at 4.4 per match and the same as Rushworth at 12 matches and 60 wickets. However I don't think anyone would say Weighell is as good a Rushy. So I think the comparison with Salisbury is unfair, Salisbury played more matches and conceivably played on flatter pitches in the middle/end of the season.

What's a match winning performance for a bowler? Objectively 5-fer is the only measure, equivalent to a batsman's century. Weighell and Salisbury took one each.

On a 5-fer per game basis Wood is way ahead 2 5fers in 4 matches and 17 wickets in total.

Weighell has three five fers in all formats. Salisbury has one, and played more games. Weighell averages 27-28 in FC and LA, Salisbury averages 33-34 in both.

On limited evidence of my own eyes, he just doesn't have enough to his game to be more than a jobbing bowler. He seems a good lad and puts in a good shift but isn't particularly economical and never looks dangerous. No great seam or swing, just nice straight deliveries on or around the corridor.

Weighell has three five fers in all formats. Salisbury has one, and played more games. Weighell averages 27-28 in FC and LA, Salisbury averages 33-34 in both.

On limited evidence of my own eyes, he just doesn't have enough to his game to be more than a jobbing bowler. He seems a good lad and puts in a good shift but isn't particularly economical and never looks dangerous. No great seam or swing, just nice straight deliveries on or around the corridor.
The nice thing about this unlike other arguments is that we will see what the answer is in the games ahead unless injuries intervene.

But I will say I'm pretty happy with the whole bowling department and at the moment we're in the happy position of having more bowlers than bowling position available. This time last year or thereabouts we didn't have enough bowling options.

No doubt injuries will occur though. And I reckon the coaches will want to give Carse, Potts and Coughlin starts in games to see what they can do and to develop their game skills.

And we have Pringle, Trevaskis and Whitehead as good looking spin options especially for the shorter formats.

We just need someone like Burnham to prove he's a dependable scoring batsman. He looks good but he needs more scores.

Back