Durham v Lancs (a) T20

Did anybody hear Marty chatting to Keaton towards the end of the match about out of contract players. I think Marty said that Durham had been in contact with the players association and any of their players who are out of contract will be offered a deal for next year due to covid. Unfortunately or fortunately Durham took another wicket and the conversation moved on.

Great win. What results do we need to qualify

Almost certainly a win will qualify Durham as one of the two best 3rd placed teams - Leicester are irrelevant if this happens, I believe the first tie-breaker is wins not NRR, but if I'm wrong on that Leicester are miles behind on NRR as well. There was a smallish chance Durham could have gotten through with a loss, but that looks very unlikely now.

Somerset winning was a mildly bad result because they kinda outmatch Durham's NRR, fortunately their win was small. It may work out that they end up ousting Durham in various permutation where results are matched. Albeit the gap is pretty small (waiting to see when the table updates somewhere, I cbf manually doing it), so it wouldn't take that much for the situation to change.

The nightmare scenario would be Bears/Warwickshire/Birmingham win both their game going on now and their final game. With Somerset also winning their final game and Sussex winning their final game (or a washout/tie). This would mean Durham would need to beat Somerset's NRR and edge them out as the 2nd best 3rd placed team. So calculators on standby. Anything else and Durham should make it on 5-4 and their pretty good NRR.

If there's a washout in the final game then it's probably going to work against Durham, but there's a lot of ifs and buts - mostly bad but I'd guess not much worse than a coin flip.

Did anybody hear Marty chatting to Keaton towards the end of the match about out of contract players. I think Marty said that Durham had been in contact with the players association and any of their players who are out of contract will be offered a deal for next year due to covid. Unfortunately or fortunately Durham took another wicket and the conversation moved on.

Yes I heard that and I thought fair play to DCCC but then, as you say, they never returned to the conversation.

Okay NRRs are updated, Durham +0.592 and Somerset +0.757. This doesn't sound like much but it's equivalent to win margins of about 25-30 runs or 3-4 overs (very rough calculations).

But anyway in short: Durham win and they're through barring a very unfortunate run of other results I mentioned earlier.

Why couldn't I have been in the ground to watch that? I would have enjoyed that very much.

So in order to qualify, Durham must beat Notts and then either....

Somerset don't win or win by a margin smaller than Durham to overturn a .250 run rate
OR - Birmingham lose to Northants
OR - Sussex lose to Essex

Why couldn't I have been in the ground to watch that? I would have enjoyed that very much.

So in order to qualify, Durham must beat Notts and then either....

Somerset don't win or win by a margin smaller than Durham to overturn a .250 run rate
OR - Birmingham lose to Northants
OR - Sussex lose to Essex

Does that have to be lose or will a draw in one of those games do? Just the weather isn’t great further down for those matches according to my phone so a good chance at least one will be washed out

Does that have to be lose or will a draw in one of those games do? Just the weather isn’t great further down for those matches according to my phone so a good chance at least one will be washed out

Birmingham and Sussex have 11 points so must lose as we have 9.

Sussex are at Essex, Birmingham are at home, Somerset at Gloucester.

Last edited:

Back