Durham Second XI 2024

Was just looking at those 2nd XI fixtures again and 3 of the 4 T20 games at Ropery Lane are on days when we're playing Championship cricket at the Riverside ie May 24, July 2 & 3.:eek:

They’re not going to get a lot of support then, are they? And at the recent talk in at CLS CC, Campbell stressed the importance of having a strong 2nd XI.

Having 1st team games on at the same time isn’t going to help, surely? Our squad isn’t that big?

My immediate thought was to how much more it’s going to cost counties logistically to have their players and coaches put up in hotels in between these games. A cost that many counties could well do without.

The cost will be the same as other years in terms of hotels. Teams would always travel the day before and stay a night. Now they will travel on the day, stay one night and then travel home after the second day.
The biggest issue is a similar amount of games to 2023. Too few in my opinion, you have to have these players playing every week if the finance allows it. Second XI cricket has to be the breading ground for quality first XI cricketers. I’d love to hear what North has to about it, he will be deciding the budgeting for these few games. More friendly games required, or you’ll have inconsistent form from your players like last year

Last edited:
The cost will be the same as other years in terms of hotels. Teams would always travel the day before and stay a night. Now they will travel on the day, stay one night and then travel home after the second day.

No they don’t, I know for an absolute fact that teams would often travel to most T20 game days (the double headers) on the morning and come home straight after game two.

Now a hotel stay is unavoidable.

No they don’t, I know for an absolute fact that teams would often travel to most T20 game days (the double headers) on the morning and come home straight after game two.

Yes but it would make it a very long day without one overnight stay so I can now see the logic in spreading them over 2 days.

If you are right that is a brutal day especially for Durham players when they are playing away.

Yes but it would make it a very long day without one overnight stay so I can now see the logic in spreading them over 2 days.

It seems daft to have 1 game in Leeds one day then the next day the second game just outside of Leeds for example. Financially worse off if the club have to pay for a hotel or the fuel bills travelling to and from Leeds back home after day 1 then back down for the day 2.

Can't understand the logic behind it personally but hey ho

Unfortunately you are mistaken. I do know for a fact that they travel the day before, so as I said, one night stay in a hotel. The only team they would ever do that against is Yorkshire.

Unfortunately you are mistaken. I do know for a fact that they travel the day before, so as I said, one night stay in a hotel. The only team they would ever do that against is Yorkshire.

Your username is appropriate, I got my information from current players and coaches.

It's a mixture from what I am told. Spoke to someone on the club payroll last night and the players haven't been told why this has happened but did confirm hotel stay overs the night before do happen at Durham, but I am aware at some clubs it doesn't always happen and as said it's likely now to increase costs as it'll be 2 nights hotel now for the sake of 2x T20 2nd XI games which I think is a bit silly.

It is what it is I guess.

Back