DURHAM PROMOTED

That'll upset a few on another thread on this forum

Rushworth would still be here if it wasn't for them. Campbell deserves the credit. We were appalling to watch under Franklin

5 WINS IN 14 CC - 2019

0 WINS IN 5 CC - 2020 - Bob Willis Trophy. Botton of table

3 WINS IN 10 - 2021 - Bob Willis Trophy - Didn't qualify

1 WIN IN 3 - 2021 - Bob Willis Group

1 WIN IN 10 CC - 2022

42 GAMES, 10 WINS. Absolutely shite.
he rebuilt nothing, more dismantled things, forced players out, killed the morale on and off the field. Bloke was a complete disaster.
Those stats look loaded. We played 14 games last season and won 3 and drew 8. In most of those 8 we played the better cricket but failed to press home the win. Same crack in Bob Willis in 2021. I will grant you 2020 was pathetic but we missed our overseas players.

Rushworth claims he moved for personal reasons (to get away from his ex- according to the ITKs on here). Collingwood retired. Every other player who left, we've replaced with equivalent or better players: Burnham, Weighell, McCarthy, Poynter, Richardson, C Steel, Pringle, Harte, Eckersley, Salisbury etc. All canny lads, but - with power of hindsight - which of them would you actually want in our team this season?

I'm glad to see the back of the guy, but there's some real revisionism about his tenure and its role in the recovery of Durham.

Those stats look loaded. We played 14 games last season and won 3 and drew 8. In most of those 8 we played the better cricket but failed to press home the win. Same crack in Bob Willis in 2021. I will grant you 2020 was pathetic but we missed our overseas players.

Rushworth claims he moved for personal reasons (to get away from his ex- according to the ITKs on here). Collingwood retired. Every other player who left, we've replaced with equivalent or better players: Burnham, Weighell, McCarthy, Poynter, Richardson, C Steel, Pringle, Harte, Eckersley, Salisbury etc. All canny lads, but - with power of hindsight - which of them would you actually want in our team this season?

I'm glad to see the back of the guy, but there's some real revisionism about his tenure and its role in the recovery of Durham.
Yes but he was sacked before the season ended which tells you how good he was and how he was thought of. Rushworth was forced out of the club. We are fortunate many stuck around after last season given how toxic it was. Franklin was an absolute disaster for the club, took us backwards and his record speaks for itself hence he was sacked.

Last edited:
Yes but he was sacked before the season ended which tells you how good he was and how he was thought of. Rushworth was forced out of the club. We are fortunate many stuck around after last season given how toxic it was. Franklin was an absolute disaster for the club, took us backwards and his record speaks for itself hence he was sacked.
"Rushworth was forced out of the club"

Elaborate please. Are you party to some ITK we should know about? He claims he left for personal reasons and it was after Franklin was given his notice anyway.

A little from Column A and a little from Column B

The whispers were he wasnt going to be given a new contract when his current deal expired, Warwickshire offered him 2 year plus an option of a third and 37 its a no brainer
That was my theory, based on Bunny, but the ITK's on here assured me it wasn't contractual. There was a long, boring thread on it if you can be arsed to search for it.

“My decision to leave Durham was far from easy, made after lengthy consideration,” said Rushworth. “But I have to state that this decision has been made for personal reasons alone and not cricketing reasons. For that reason, I give a heartfelt thank you to Tim (Bostock), Marcus (North) and the club for allowing me to leave.

Doesn't sound like someone 'forced out of the club'.

Franklin was awful. He didn't get anything on the right track hence he was sacked, he sent us backwards. Players couldn't stand him and neither could the coaches. It's quite remarkable what Campbell has done in the red ball game. He's given the players freedom, they're allowed to make mistakes without fear and feedback is constructive instead of destructive which is what it was with Franklin. Nobody liked him and he shouldn't get any credit etc for this year.
That’s great to hear mate, a management team as England have proved as well, that gives players freedom to play their natural game without fear is the best management structure going forward for any team imo.

Must have been really sweet not only getting promoted but doing it with attacking fearless cricket.

Always nice for loyal supporters when their team is so successful pleased for you and the Durham supporters, you clearly have followed them thought thick and thin so well done mate

Last edited:
A little from Column A and a little from Column B

The whispers were he wasnt going to be given a new contract when his current deal expired, Warwickshire offered him 2 year plus an option of a third and 37 its a no brainer

I find that incredibly hard to believe. I’m not for one second calling you a liar, I just mean that I can’t believe we would completely freeze out our greatest ever seam bowler.

Aside from that, it is a real shame that some don’t share my views from the OP about the positive contributions of everyone who helped raise the club from the pits of despair.

Last edited:
CHAMPIONS :cool::cool::cool:

FTECB & FTSB

Durham confirmed as County Championship Division Two champions​

Promotion had been clinched when Leicestershire failed to secure a batting point against Sussex at Hove, so Ryan Campbell's charges required a maximum of five points heading into this game to confirm top spot

Logon or register to see this image

Nick Friend | 21/09/2023 at 19:25

Durham have won Division Two of the County Championship, a week after their promotion back to the top flight was secured without them even having to take the field.

Promotion had been clinched when Leicestershire failed to secure a batting point against Sussex at Hove, so Ryan Campbell's charges required a maximum of five points heading into this game to confirm top spot.

The three bowling points they obtained for dismissing Worcestershire for 313, plus the batting points left untaken by the home side – Durham's nearest challengers – were enough to put the finishing touches to a memorable campaign.

Logon or register to see this image

Durham have been the best team in the division, with Ollie Robinson describing the group as "good people with a good team ethos" [Stu Forster/Getty Images]

Alex Lees and Ben Raine top the Division Two batting and bowling charts, respectively [Stu Forster/Getty Images]

Durham will be back in Division One for the first time since 2016 when they were relegated over financial issues. Scott Borthwick was a member of that Durham side and is now the captain on their return to the top tier.

They were by a distance the best team in the division, with Ben Stokes' county embracing the aggressive approach taken by England's Test team. One of the first things that Campbell said on his arrival was that he had little time for draws, and it is no coincidence that no team in the division has won as many games.

They picked up 46 batting points – 16 more than anyone else – and lost just once, in a tight finish at Hove against Sussex. They have passed the 200-point mark in the process.

"People can be themselves and people are being backed," wicketkeeper Ollie Robinson told The Cricketer earlier this summer.

"There is no real pressure to do anything, but a lot of the boys have played together for years, which helps, and then the people who have just come in have been able to fit in seamlessly just from being nice people really.

"Good people with a good team ethos: there are no real big characters who upset anything. So, it's a combination of a few things, and it seems to be working."

Last edited:

Back