Durham mags.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few mlf's in the tyne valley

I get it from a lad at work. He calls me a mackem bastard but he hates it when I correct and remind him that he is a born and bred Sunderland lad.

I get a similar reaction from those who live 5 miles closer to Sunderland than I do and point it out.

About 35 years ago I worked with a bloke from Langley Moor who was one of us and we worked with men from north of the Tyne. They tried to take the mickey out of our accent and thought that we were making our twang up.
This was before the term Mackems was used as a derogatory term by the Mags.
We quoted some pitmatic classics like " Is this chebble tyun ? Wees thoo like, hoy the cracket ower, tak a blaa yungun, get thee eyes charked, skyul, byuts,fyess and pyat. They were bemused.When we explained what they meant and that was how folks spoke in the colliery districts.
They said it was old Geordie !!!
Those mags from Wearside can easily pronounce toon, but they'll never say Wor, scoootah,schooool or Cor Pork and know anybody called Albat or Peeeta.
They'll drop themselves in every time, useless b&w bastards.

Well I've lived in Preston since 1970, originally from Hartlepool, and started supporting Sunderland when they won the cup. So I'm a glory hunter AND a fake Sunderland fan, right?
And we all used to refer to ourselves as Geordies back in the 70s, every match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back