Durham House (Tall black Washington building)

Needs pulling down, it’s falling to bits inside as well as out.

The site is huge. Worked on the team that moved DWP out. Was quite eerie being in there with nobody else in
First worked there 83 to 90 then back on shift work from 91 to 96, then left due to outsourcing to EDS.
Still a CS but in work services.
The tower was supposed to have a spook, a bloke who died while building the lift shaft.
Mind,lots of lasses worked there had the willies put up them.

Brilliant. My first thought as well when I read the suggestion. I thought it was just me and my dad that called it that 🤣🤣
Was always the flea pit to everyone at school…
The town would be complete with a cinema
Washington - The centre of the county.
Logon or register to see this image

Was like a different era going here after the multiplex’s of the metrocentre & warner bros opened…

Last edited:
Who owns the site? Private landlord? The government?
Wouldn't surprise me if it has been sold off to a property speculator, to be turned into partitioned walled flats at £700 a month, feckin rip off. I was looking for a flat to rent in Washington a year ago, and noticed a flat in a block of flats, that looked suspiciously like the old jobcentre in Washington, absolute joke expecting people to pay top dollar to live in places like this, ripping off our children and grandchildren, and property speculators making huge profits on buildings that were basically owned by us, the taxpayer.

It would be nee flea pit

Nothing beats painted chipboard with a footprint on for a screen
Wouldn't surprise me if it has been sold off to a property speculator, to be turned into partitioned walled flats at £700 a month, feckin rip off. I was looking for a flat to rent in Washington a year ago, and noticed a flat in a block of flats, that looked suspiciously like the old jobcentre in Washington, absolute joke expecting people to pay top dollar to live in places like this, ripping off our children and grandchildren, and property speculators making huge profits on buildings that were basically owned by us, the taxpayer.

The flats are in the building next to the job centre, level with the Asda car park. It used to have Huddart and Robinson dentists in it as well as other small businesses.

Last edited:

The flats are in the building next to the job centre, level with the Asda car park. It used to have Huddart and Robinson dentists in it as well as other small businesses.
They are an absolute hell hole( been told by someone who lived there).

Was always the flea pit to everyone at school…

Logon or register to see this image

Was like a different era going here after the multiplex’s of the metrocentre & warner bros opened…
Blimey, that takes me back some. Just missing the two big billboards to the right that told you what was on for the week... (seem to think screen one was blue, 2 was red?)

Weirdly I can remember it showing Star Wars over and over years after the initial release. I was born in '77 so even the 1980 release of Empire was too early for me, but I still managed to see them all at the Fleapit... and Goonies, Dark Crystal, BMX bandits, Teenwolf, Neverending Story... Gleaming the Cube? Nae wonder the place shut!

The block on the same level as the job centre is flats as well. Used to be some government place, Weardale House. They're currently in the middle of converting the other block as well, Derwent house.

Back