Durham House (Tall black Washington building)

Yeah, opened in 1976, family allowance was phased out and child benefit started in April 1977.
The work was gradually brought over to Emerson from Freeman Road.
I started working there in August 1976.
Strange for such a big building to have such a short lifespan. Must have only been there about 20 years if that’s when it first opened. Seemed to get flattened about 2000

I remember the little duck pond out the front. Was on a bus route I used to get on that went up that way.Also the scary looking tree in the cherry tree beer garden.
The pond was lovely. It was maintained by the WWT and had Swans, Geese and Ducks on it.

I remember the tree in the Cherry Tree inside the pub, don’t remember one outside. I don’t think they had a beer garden in the early days.
Strange for such a big building to have such a short lifespan. Must have only been there about 20 years if that’s when it first opened. Seemed to get flattened about 2000
It was a government building, and I assume this when they started selling them off.
The new building we moved to, like most of them these days, is leased from a private company.

Last edited:
When I see an old photo of a big pond and now there is a housing estate, I always wonder of they have flooding problems. Lots of new houses do because they were build on such land.

There was an area here which was half playing field and half rough wooded with a stream flowing through. In dry weather, the stream is nothing more than a trickle. In wet weather, it's a proper stream as all the water runs down from Beamish/Stanley hills and the area is muddy and squelchy underfoot.

Council built on it and claimed there was no evidence of historical flooding in the area, which we all disputed as we used to walk dogs on the rough bit and knew it flooded in wet weather. They did a walk around in dry weather with the planners to show there was no problem.

The houses built near the stream frequently get boggy back gardens due to the volume of water that flows down the hills and settles in the gardens.

You know the hill out the back of mine where I walk the dog? Water runs off there too down to the same stream. They dug a channel alongside the footpath to put streetlights on the footpath. Since they did that, they must have interfered with the natural drainage as when it's wet, the ground gets boggy and the water runs off the grass and over the path instead of going under it like it used to.

There was an area here which was half playing field and half rough wooded with a stream flowing through. In dry weather, the stream is nothing more than a trickle. In wet weather, it's a proper stream as all the water runs down from Beamish/Stanley hills and the area is muddy and squelchy underfoot.

Council built on it and claimed there was no evidence of historical flooding in the area, which we all disputed as we used to walk dogs on the rough bit and knew it flooded in wet weather. They did a walk around in dry weather with the planners to show there was no problem.

The houses built near the stream frequently get boggy back gardens due to the volume of water that flows down the hills and settles in the gardens.

You know the hill out the back of mine where I walk the dog? Water runs off there too down to the same stream. They dug a channel alongside the footpath to put streetlights on the footpath. Since they did that, they must have interfered with the natural drainage as when it's wet, the ground gets boggy and the water runs off the grass and over the path instead of going under it like it used to.
The same up and down the country.

A few years ago I did hear about building of new houses in Fulford, York, near where I used to live. That flooded all the times and it was known as Fulford Flood Plains. Concerns and objections in 2012:

Article saying they need to seriously think about better flood defences because of constant disruption to houses in the same area:

11 years between the articles. If only someone had known.....except they did.

Back