Durham "home" games.

badger55

Central Defender
I know this subject generates some strong feelings on this forum, usually at the time of year when we play a "home" game at South Northumberland.
How about a "home" game at The Grange, Edinburgh ?
Article in the Cricketer magazine today about Durham and Scotland having a "strategic relationship", which could include a "home" game in Edinburgh.
Please discuss !

We've been told Headingley will be "off limits" during the WC. Not that you'll hear many complaints about a few extra games at Scarborough mind.

I assume you're being thrown out of the Riverside as well. Possibly a couple of games in Edinburgh?

The article seems to be about a long term relationship with Scotland and specifically says that Durham "may not have a fixture during the period of their 3 2019 World Cup games".

Sounds like cheating the membership to me, there aren't enough 4 day games as it is. And the danger from reducing games and making others impossible to attend is that membership erodes.

I'm in favour of a 'strategic relationship' whatever that is beyond schooling a few players but not this.

The only circumstance where I'd think it was ok was when Durham don't have a game and a special can be put on but that seems unlikely.

I do think the 'fortheNorth' thing is good and we should embrace the likes of Cumbria and Scotland.

I wouldn't be against say one 50 over game a year going (although I'm not a member), but no T20s or CC.

I do think the 'fortheNorth' thing is good and we should embrace the likes of Cumbria and Scotland.

I wouldn't be against say one 50 over game a year going (although I'm not a member), but no T20s or CC.

I am a member and want as many games at Durham as poss although accept some times we can use out grounds

But Scotland give over man :)

Can’t see anyway a game in Scotland for Durham personally.

Only outground I’ve watched Durham was down Darlington and we lost to Leicestershire

I’m like others, I could see a fifty over game being played at an outground but am strongly in favour of championship and t20s held at cls only

While I used to love going to Hartlepool,Darlo,Stockton,Racecourse and Gateshead Fell in our 'nomad' years I think Edinburgh is pushing things a bit far.

I've been to The Grange three times watching Durham play Scotland and while it's a pretty little ground (similar to Park Drive) the fact that the ground was far from full with the home side playing means that you would probably be lucky to get a couple of hundred in attendance if it was Durham 'at home'.

County Durham has endured a thousand years of rivalry, even warfare, from Scotland and Northumberland. We’re one of the smaller northern English counties in terms of area and I feel that we have had a struggle to maintain our unique identity, sandwiched between the self-regarding and jealous Scots and Northumbrians to the north and Yorkshire to the south. The geographical extent of Durham has been whittled away without our consent, and the rightful county identity of more than half of County Durham’s population has been compromised.

First class cricket for Durham, despite our difficulties, has been something that Durham has done that has raised our profile and strengthened our identity, and often given us something to cheer. But of course we won’t be allowed to keep it. So no, I don’t think we should play any home games anywhere else than between the Tyne and the Tees, and preferably next to the Wear!

County Durham has endured a thousand years of rivalry, even warfare, from Scotland and Northumberland. We’re one of the smaller northern English counties in terms of area and I feel that we have had a struggle to maintain our unique identity, sandwiched between the self-regarding and jealous Scots and Northumbrians to the north and Yorkshire to the south. The geographical extent of Durham has been whittled away without our consent, and the rightful county identity of more than half of County Durham’s population has been compromised.

First class cricket for Durham, despite our difficulties, has been something that Durham has done that has raised our profile and strengthened our identity, and often given us something to cheer. But of course we won’t be allowed to keep it. So no, I don’t think we should play any home games anywhere else than between the Tyne and the Tees, and preferably next to the Wear!

very well written.

Ridiculous

basically this. i'm too angry, genuinely angry, to post a sensible reply.

as members we get crapped on enough. it's bad enough from FTECB to reduce the fixture list, both for us members and the counties reducing their revenue streams now this?

every time something new and stupid like this crops up i just feel like it's the death knell for county cricket and it makes me sick

Last edited:
We regard Cumberland and Northumberland as part of our catchment area for the Academy( Stokes, Harmison and Wood are 3 of our best products) so why not play the occasional fixture there. There are probably members who would find Gosforth easier accessible than Chester-le-St. Same could apply to the odd member in extreme West Durham and Kendal. Would quite fancy a day of cricket at Kendal-quite a pretty ground iirc.

Back