Durham CCC Membership announcement

Marko

Striker

Whilst we remain hopeful of being allowed to give members access to watch some games at Emirates Riverside this season, and continuing to do everything in our power to facilitate this in a safe manner, following the governments most recent announcements we feel it is the right time to provide some options to our members.

Firstly, I would like to thank all of our members for their unwavering support of the club through what is proving to be an extremely difficult time for everyone across the country. Covid-19 has had a huge impact on everyone’s lives and the club has not been immune to its ongoing effect.

Once again, our members have proven to be loyal and understanding as we do our best to ensure the long-term security of the club and to put us in a strong position to move forward both on and off the field. Thankfully, we have spent the past few years stabilising the club’s finances, however we do not want the current circumstances to set the club back and jeopardise our future.

The club has been hit hard with a drastic drop in revenue due to a lack of gate receipts, reduced sponsorship, and cancellation of concerts, international cricket and all private meetings and event bookings at the venue. The impact on the ECB will also see a reduction in club revenue from the governing body over the next 4 years.

We are therefore asking members to become a ‘Durham Defender’ and donate this year’s membership fees to support the club through the 2020 season. We realise this is a big ask of our members in what is undoubtedly a difficult time for everyone and we therefore want to reward anyone who can donate with an enhanced package at a reduced price for their 2021 membership.

Durham Defender

· Donate 2020 membership fee

· 2021 membership package:

· No increase in 2021 membership price

· 20% discount on 2021 membership

· 2 free passes to all Durham Cricket County Championship and 50 over games in the 2021 season (bring your friends and family with you for the whole season) – please note guests cannot be current 2020 or previous 2019 members. This will be strictly checked

· An evening with Sir Ian Botham and guests (invitation to a free pie and peas supper with our Chairman and some special guests)

· Entry to any games that we are able to allow members access to in 2020

· Name on a specially commissioned Durham Defender mural to be installed at Emirates Riverside

· Plus – all of the usual membership benefits including: access to over 40 days of cricket, the members lounge, reciprocal deals at other North East venues, meet the players evenings, 2021 yearbook, early purchase for our 2021 international fixture and, where possible, concerts. And, new for 2021 – exclusive member only online content.

We do hope as many members as possible are able to become a Durham Defender, further supporting the club and benefiting from an enhanced membership package in 2021. We appreciate at this difficult time some members may be unable to participate and full refunds will be available should you prefer that option.

All members will receive written confirmation of the options available in the post in the next two weeks. There will also be information on how to select your chosen option and the timeline for administration of the selected option.

Once again everyone at the club would like to sincerely thank you for your ongoing support and patience this summer. We hope to see you all at Emirates Riverside as soon as possible.

Your Sincerely

Tim Bostock

Chief Executive, Durham Cricket

Won't be asking for a refund myself

When I first heard the idea that they wanted members to ‘donate’ this years fee I thought it was horrific.

Now I’ve seen the T&C’s I actually think it’s a brilliant idea.

This is absolutely fantastic. SAFC could learn a lot from this. I’m not a member, as I live away and couldn’t justify the cost to games ratio, but if I was I’d certainly by donating my money on those terms. Funny how if you treat your customers well, more often than not they’ll help you out when needed. And I notice they can issue refunds ASAP rather than August 2025...

I've been looking at what the other counties (well the ones that have released any info) have been offering the members who are in a position to donate their 2020 fees and would say this is by some fair distance the best so far.

Essex's statement made for pretty grim reading with an announcement that across the board refunds were out of the question and any member requiring one would need to contact them providing reasons why and the committee would consider each individual case.

Mind you the downside to the 2 Free Passes means that Mrs RT could be accompanying me to more than the usual one day a season visit!:cry::eek:

Just one minor point - As a Durham Defender I would much prefer to be actually allowed to sit in The Trapdoor Stand for more than one game a season than to have my name appear on a mural...just a thought!

get a petition going and me and all my imaginary mates will sign it

Managed to get them to open it up for the Worcs 4 day game last season but it turned out to be short lived. Resigned to spending the rest of my days in the Co Durham Lower along with most of the other Trapdoor Exiles.:cry::lol:

Managed to get them to open it up for the Worcs 4 day game last season but it turned out to be short lived. Resigned to spending the rest of my days in the Co Durham Lower along with most of the other Trapdoor Exiles.:cry::lol:

i'd call myself a nomad, but most people would shorten that by two letters

Well Yorkshire’s “offering” arrived today. No discount on next year’s membership like Durham and many other counties have offered, just a few token gestures like your name on a plaque or some shite.

They can stick it and I’ll ask them to “consider” a refund
Very little communication at all throughout all this and one of the last counties to hear of their plans, all after bleating to the local press before contacting members. As usual a complete fuck up

Last edited:
Well Yorkshire’s “offering” arrived today. No discount on next year’s membership like Durham and many other counties have offered, just a few token gestures like your name on a plaque or some shite.

Very little communication at all throughout all this and one of the last counties to hear of their plans, all after bleating to the local press before contacting members. As usual a complete fuck up

Theres a suprise! In this brave new world that we live in it's almost reassuring that the attitude of YCCC remains the same as ever....I said 'almost' mind!!;)

I’m blaming that greedy bastard Graves ;)

Just received the correspondence from DCCC today:

DCCC Defender will be £176 for the 2021 season with two named free passes available.

Inform them of your decision by 13/9/20

*I see the freeze on the increase in prices as quoted seems to have disappeared as the full price for a 2021 Member is quoted as now being £220 as opposed to £200 for 2020.

As I renew on a yearly basis there is nothing mentioned about Gold Members other than for those wishing apply for the next 5 seasons.

I have received correspondence through the post this morning regarding Durham Defender etc. There is mention of gold memberships on there (I am not a gold member)

Is that not just for those who are wanting to take out a new Gold membership for the next 5 seasons?

Also I'm a bit puzzled if you have to specifically name the two 'guests' you plan to bring next season on the application form. I rang the Box Office but of course it's a recorded message saying its closed!

Back