Durham Blind Cricket Club v Somerset on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlpineExile

Striker
Macar's asked me to let you know [in case you didn't already] that they're playing a 30 overs match v Somerset at Washington cricket club on Sunday.

It starts at 11 am. It's free to get in, there's a bar [you probably know that] and the Washington ground is on Vigo Lane [but you probably know that too].

Gan and watch them, you know it makes sense.

I know a couple of lads from SMB CC are available if you are short.

(come on, every one was thinking that!!)

Macar's asked me to let you know [in case you didn't already] that they're playing a 30 overs match v Somerset at Washington cricket club on Sunday.

It starts at 11 am. It's free to get in, there's a bar [you probably know that] and the Washington ground is on Vigo Lane [but you probably know that too].

Gan and watch them, you know it makes sense.

Good luck Durham. 30 overs seems like a long time for a blind team to stick it out like (I know the ball has a bell in presumably it's bigger than standard size?)

As someone who has never seen a game of blind cricket before ( although I have been down to watch the 3rd team) a few things spring to mind,

1. How do they catch the ball, and know it's going towards them and at a particular height?

2. When batting how do they know how many runs to run, I.E a quick single.

3. When bowling how do they know to go up for a LBW shout???

As someone who has never seen a game of blind cricket before ( although I have been down to watch the 3rd team) a few things spring to mind,

1. How do they catch the ball, and know it's going towards them and at a particular height?

2. When batting how do they know how many runs to run, I.E a quick single.

3. When bowling how do they know to go up for a LBW shout???
The best way to understand would be to go along and watch. ;)

But wiki is still your friend anyway:

wiki said:
UK rules

The rules of blind cricket are based on the standard Laws of cricket with some essential modifications.

In terms of playing equipment, the major adaptation is the ball, which is significantly larger than a standard cricket ball and filled with ball bearings. The size allows partially sighted players to see the ball and the contents allow blind players to hear it. The wicket (stumps) is also larger, to allow partially sighted players to see and blind players to touch it in order to correctly orient themselves when batting or bowling.

Various other modifications to the rules apply. Verbal signals are widely used both by umpires and players: in particular, the bowler must shout 'Play!' as he releases the ball. The delivery is required to pitch at least twice when bowled to a completely blind batsman (once when bowled to a partially sighted batsman), but must not be rolling. Totally blind batsmen cannot be out stumped, and must be found to be LBW twice before going out. Totally blind fielders are allowed to take a catch on the bounce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_cricket

I watched some of the game today. Durham batted first. they used what i would guess was a size 3 football with bells in.
most of the two teams, I think they were playing Somerset, were partially sighted.
the ones who were completely blind wore a orange armband.
I only watched it for about half a hour as we had a match at bill quay, But i was shocked at how hard it was to play. the players judgment was great. baring in mind all they could do was hear the ball bouncing.
too all players today you have my unreserved admiration

stephen1937 said:
I watched some of the game today. Durham batted first. they used what i would guess was a size 3 football with bells in.
most of the two teams, I think they were playing Somerset, were partially sighted.
the ones who were completely blind wore a orange armband.
I only watched it for about half a hour as we had a match at bill quay, But i was shocked at how hard it was to play. the players judgment was great. baring in mind all they could do was hear the ball bouncing.
too all players today you have my unreserved admiration

Me too, it's pretty inspiring stuff. How did you get on at BQ?

Macar's match report:

I think we played ok: let's remember that DVICC had 3 totally blind people in
their team, Somerset had none, which was why it wasn't a cup match. Somerset had to concede the cup game cause their b1 [totally blind] players
dropped out. We play Hampshire in the quarter final of the cup at Eastlee in Southampton on Sunday June 12th.

The Sunderland Echo were their and got pictures.

We put on 104 for 6, our openers had us on 67, but they retired to give other people a chance. The openers were called John Hawkins and Russ Welsh.

I batted number 3 and scored 2 runs, which were doubled because I am a b1 so I scored 4 runs all together. I kept the end up for a while and was trying to get runs but in the end I lost my leg stump and away I was gone.

Washington put a great tea on and really were fantastic towards us.

So we started bowling... it was so hard, I think it told in the end that they had no totally blind people on their team and we had 3... they retired both their batsmen when the score was 95 which I thought was a joke, and they got home with out losing a wicket.

Travelling down on the Saturday [for the Sunday 12 June quarter final] as we have funding thanks to the primary club who gave us grants.

Tell them to join the facebook group the link is here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=151955888162725&v=wall

Macar's match report:

I think we played ok: let's remember that DVICC had 3 totally blind people in
their team, Somerset had none, which was why it wasn't a cup match. Somerset had to concede the cup game cause their b1 [totally blind] players
dropped out. We play Hampshire in the quarter final of the cup at Eastlee in Southampton on Sunday June 12th.

The Sunderland Echo were their and got pictures.

We put on 104 for 6, our openers had us on 67, but they retired to give other people a chance. The openers were called John Hawkins and Russ Welsh.

I batted number 3 and scored 2 runs, which were doubled because I am a b1 so I scored 4 runs all together. I kept the end up for a while and was trying to get runs but in the end I lost my leg stump and away I was gone.

Washington put a great tea on and really were fantastic towards us.

So we started bowling... it was so hard, I think it told in the end that they had no totally blind people on their team and we had 3... they retired both their batsmen when the score was 95 which I thought was a joke, and they got home with out losing a wicket.

Travelling down on the Saturday [for the Sunday 12 June quarter final] as we have funding thanks to the primary club who gave us grants.

Tell them to join the facebook group the link is here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=151955888162725&v=wall

excellent stuff

They have a training session next Saturday starting around 10:30 down the same Washy grounds, if folk are at all interested.

He is indeed. Why do you ask?

Remember years ago we went upto Tantobie and it got rained off, and a couple of years prior to that I scored on up there when I wasn't playing. Always remember a blind lad who I thought supported SAFC, usually sitting on the sidelines talking to their players. Just wondered after reading these posts if it was the famous Macar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back