Dry January

I’m currently drinking a Hungarian Pinot Grigio.

It’s delicious.

I don’t want to give it up as it’s a source of great pleasure.

I could understand it if people packed in drinking completely but just not drinking in January is utterly pointless.

I’m currently drinking a Hungarian Pinot Grigio.

It’s delicious.

I don’t want to give it up as it’s a source of great pleasure.

I could understand it if people packed in drinking completely but just not drinking in January is utterly pointless.
last sentence is incorrect Jeff:

Saves money
Hangover free
Good for you

Yes I could do it more but I don’t want to and doesn’t mean it’s pointless,

Nah, each to their own but I never think things like that work. Tried it before, just hated missing out on things (I know you don't have to drink, but realistically I like pre or post match pints etc). Felt like a chore and, although no doubt quite healthy, it made me more likely to drink the next month to "make up for it", so to me it felt a bit gimmicky. Instead last year I just decided to eat healthily, drink when I want but in moderation, stay very low calorie during the week, ended up losing 5 stone in 6 months and feel healthier than ever. Don't think I'd have been able to do it if I'd tried to stop completely for a month

last sentence is incorrect Jeff:

Saves money
Hangover free
Good for you

Yes I could do it more but I don’t want to and doesn’t mean it’s pointless,
It’s not incorrect it’s just a different point of view.

There are loads of other ways to save Money, not everyone suffers from hangovers and there are many other things that are good for you.

But hey there you go.

We are all different.

It’s not incorrect it’s just a different point of view.

There are loads of other ways to save Money, not everyone suffers from hangovers and there are many other things that are good for you.

But hey there you go.

We are all different.
True, you should give it a go Jeff, you might get some weather predictions right!!!

Waheyyy weather bantz

I'll probably do it in January, aye. A few years ago I did 3 months.

I don't find it remotely difficult to go to the pub and have a coke or a lime & soda instead of a beer. I find that alcohol sometimes gives me terrible acid reflux these days, so it's just not worth the sleepless nights.

I've done it for the past nine years and have raised quite a few quid for charity in the process
I've promised myself that this year will be the last (ten is enough) but if the Stranglers gigs in Glasgow go ahead (28th and 29th) I'll be cutting it short

Last edited:
Agree with this, once it makes you sick of being hungover/sluggish knock it on the head got a while. Actually looking forward to a month of hangover free days.
I’m at that stage now.Sick of it .

Had a canny night out down the torn the nite with a bunch of lads and didn’t drink.I’ll be doing the same tomorrow aswell at the wedding.
Hammering the gym aswell which seems to release something into my brain that makes we want to keep away from drink and not crave a pint.

I’m at that stage now.Sick of it .

Had a canny night out down the torn the nite with a bunch of lads and didn’t drink.I’ll be doing the same tomorrow aswell at the wedding.
Hammering the gym aswell which seems to release something into my brain that makes we want to keep away from drink and not crave a pint.
Good stuff, it’s not as easy as it sounds once you meet the lads and start having a laugh. I just try to avoid situations where I think I’ll be temped because I usually end up with a stinking hangover.

Good stuff, it’s not as easy as it sounds once you meet the lads and start having a laugh. I just try to avoid situations where I think I’ll be temped because I usually end up with a stinking hangover.
I was drinking the Erdinger alcohol free gear which was canny .Hangovers are shocking that I get.3 days at least which is just not acceptable tbh.
I’ll not pack it in completely but I’m certainly not drinking for drinking sake as we all do at times.

What’s peoples motives for doing Dry January? I can understand if it’s for health reasons or even for charity or even for a bet. What I don’t get is people who do it and then go and get absolutely hammered on 1st February.

Just interested that’s all. I’d like to cut down a lot and get healthier and drinking less will of course be part of that but there’s a couple of occasions I celebrate in January where I’d pretty much have to drink. Is it not better to just cut down long term rather that stop for an arbitrary number of days then get mortal again for the rest of the year as and when.
To announce it on Facebook.

Nah, each to their own but I never think things like that work. Tried it before, just hated missing out on things (I know you don't have to drink, but realistically I like pre or post match pints etc). Felt like a chore and, although no doubt quite healthy, it made me more likely to drink the next month to "make up for it", so to me it felt a bit gimmicky. Instead last year I just decided to eat healthily, drink when I want but in moderation, stay very low calorie during the week, ended up losing 5 stone in 6 months and feel healthier than ever. Don't think I'd have been able to do it if I'd tried to stop completely for a month

5 stone in 6 months is some going…

First of all well done

Second of all what the hell did you stop eating/drinking besides cutting down on alcohol because I’d love the advice?

What’s peoples motives for doing Dry January? I can understand if it’s for health reasons or even for charity or even for a bet. What I don’t get is people who do it and then go and get absolutely hammered on 1st February.

Just interested that’s all. I’d like to cut down a lot and get healthier and drinking less will of course be part of that but there’s a couple of occasions I celebrate in January where I’d pretty much have to drink. Is it not better to just cut down long term rather that stop for an arbitrary number of days then get mortal again for the rest of the year as and when.

A lot of the alcohol awareness groups are conflicted about dry January for the reasons you state mate. Although it’s good to cut down etc, a lot of problem drinkers use the “I don’t have a problem, because I didn’t drink in January” line and then for the next 11 months just get shitfaced as normal
Where's Mowsy gone :(

Hettonlass?

Last edited:

Back