Dry January

I’m thinking of doing 6 months or summit. At that stage of Christmas where I’m sick of food and drink

I’m planning to do dry days every week all year. But it’s easy now to say that but a bit harder if you like a glass of wine with your food.

Did it 4 or 5 years ago and was miserable as ****. I just ended up caning it as soon as Feb hit (especially since my bday is in feb), so didn't really have any effect.

Would say the temptation to avoid reaching into the fridge/cupboard while working from home over the last 2 years has been much much harder than avoiding the drink. Lockdown/Covid can just **** right off.
I’m currently drinking a Hungarian Pinot Grigio.

It’s delicious.

I don’t want to give it up as it’s a source of great pleasure.

I could understand it if people packed in drinking completely but just not drinking in January is utterly pointless.

Agreed. If people are really want to cut down massively on drink then challenging ones self to cutting down gradually over time (i.e. stopping school night cans in the house and limiting to a few on a weekend/w/ever) would be much more beneficial than wearing a dry january medal and caning drink again excessively for the remaining 11 months...

Last edited:
If you are sick of beer / drinking at this point then you probably have been going at it too hard. Id rather have a few drinks a week as wind down / pleasure and not deny myself. Life is hard enough especially in January. TBH January is the last month of the year I would want to deny myself anything.

Did 80 days dry to run up to xmas. Felt great. Had a fair few drinks over the past week and tbh I can see myself giving it up completely. More conscious now that I need to get fitter and healthier and I'm either all in or not when I set about things.

Anyone doing it this time around? I absolutely will be I feel like shite here, sick of it tbh. I might (definitely will) fail on the 29th if I go to Bolton away though, any sympathy posts are welcome and any nasty ones will be deleted via my secret MOD account.
Not a dry one as such, but yeah Christmas has been rich and I’m actually looking forward to being healthy again tbh

Will look to cut down on beers in the house but won’t stop going to the pubs. After a quiet December, I’d imagine pubs and restaurants are struggling so will still pop out and try support them

I'd be interested to know how often some of the people on here drink usually. Some people seem to suggest that drinking 2-3 days a week would constitute cutting down.
90% of the time it’s once on a Saturday, midweek only for special occasions and will often skip the weekend if I know that’s what I’m doing.

90% of the time it’s once on a Saturday, midweek only for special occasions and will often skip the weekend if I know that’s what I’m doing.
Fair enough. I drink most Tuesdays (pub quiz) and otherwise I tend to only drink on Friday, a couple of beers or gins. Save for special occasions, obviously.

Fair enough. I drink most Tuesdays (pub quiz) and otherwise I tend to only drink on Friday, a couple of beers or gins. Save for special occasions, obviously.
After Christmas Eve Christmas Day and Boxing Day I’m sick to the back teeth of it, not sure how people do it loads like I can’t wait to not touch a drop til back end of January/February.

I'd be interested to know how often some of the people on here drink usually. Some people seem to suggest that drinking 2-3 days a week would constitute cutting down.
Drinking 3 times a week Is ott .

I’m generally a few on a Friday and a good sup on a Saturday.The good sup on a Saturday is going to be cut down to a couple.

Back