Droning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

No it's here too. Large fines if you don't have the right licence

Hadn't realised it had come in. It's a good thing that it has. When I've worked with people using them it has always been in the countryside with no one about so haven't come into any problems. When it's been done in more urban setting for commercial jobs we use the bigger drones which larger camera can attach to, the pilots who fly them have always had to have certification. They are the best as the pilot flys them and I have another controller to move the camera

Hadn't realised it had come in. It's a good thing that it has. When I've worked with people using them it has always been in the countryside with no one about so haven't come into any problems. When it's been done in more urban setting for commercial jobs we use the bigger drones which larger camera can attach to, the pilots who fly them have always had to have certification. They are the best as the pilot flys them and I have another controller to move the camera
So no licence needed in the countryside ?

You still need one, but no one around to make a complaint. Of course if CAA somehow seen a video/photo online and enquired about licenses you would be screwed, but I very much doubt that is likely to happen.
But you can surely fly model helicopters or planes without a licence? Can't see the difference

Looking here it's all very vague tbh

http://droneflight.co.uk/pages/summary-of-uk-legal-requirements

Seems I could fly one without 'being paid' without permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've only read over the stuff this morning after what andy said so not really sure. The person I know who uses them has never mentioned anything about needing certification
No mention of licensing at all, just caa permission in certain circumstances

No mention of licensing at all, just caa permission in certain circumstances

Next time you're up this way go to heliguy in north shields. They will be able to advise you on what you need. What camera would you want to be mounting on it? Guessing gopro wouldn't be good enough quality for your stuff

Next time you're up this way go to heliguy in north shields. They will be able to advise you on what you need. What camera would you want to be mounting on it? Guessing gopro wouldn't be good enough quality for your stuff
Nah, it's very much a passing fancy and tomorrow I probably won't be arsed any more

And yes, I'd probably need something substantial to mount an slr on it , expensive

And then the batteries would run out above a lake ;)

Nah, it's very much a passing fancy and tomorrow I probably won't be arsed any more

And yes, I'd probably need something substantial to mount an slr on it , expensive

And then the batteries would run out above a lake ;)

:lol:

Yeah you will be looking at £2k+ for something to hold a slr. On the dji phantoms apparetntly once they get to 30% battery they just drop out of the sky!

:lol:

Yeah you will be looking at £2k+ for something to hold a slr. On the dji phantoms apparetntly once they get to 30% battery they just drop out of the sky!
There must be lighter option than full Slrs like. My gh1 weighs very little

Some compacts might be good enough

I'd never get fine art prints shots anyway, more editorial and cards

There must be lighter option than full Slrs like. My gh1 weighs very little

Some compacts might be good enough

I'd never get fine art prints shots anyway, more editorial and cards

The bigger one I used was with GH3. The new DJI Vision has it's own camera mounted on it and that is 12mp in raw but that is over £2k as well.

The bigger one I used was with GH3. The new DJI Vision has it's own camera mounted on it and that is 12mp in raw but that is over £2k as well.
What is the bigger one you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back