Droning on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yer if they'd got the top in it would have been a cracker
I'm starting to wonder if I should have a bash. Obviously there needs to be a balance between drone expense and camera quality.

Certain jobs it would instantly give me more options. I don't want gimmicky shit, but just high viewpoints like the Iceland and Sydney shots

I'm starting to wonder if I should have a bash. Obviously there needs to be a balance between drone expense and camera quality.

Certain jobs it would instantly give me more options. I don't want gimmicky shit, but just high viewpoints like the Iceland and Sydney shots
My favourite shots are the ones that are directly above, putting the drone into its own.

In the same boat with cost, been wondering whether to get a a fully converted IR 400d or summit. I like the shots but dunno if I can warrant anymore cost when I'm not getting out as it is

You need a licence granted by the aviation authority (or someone like that) to use a drone in any commercial capacity which ain't cheap I believe

You need a licence granted by the aviation authority (or someone like that) to use a drone in any commercial capacity which ain't cheap I believe
Sod that, I'd just tell them I had a big ladder

You don't need a license unless you use them near built up areas iirc, although that may change

My favourite shots are the ones that are directly above, putting the drone into its own.

In the same boat with cost, been wondering whether to get a a fully converted IR 400d or summit. I like the shots but dunno if I can warrant anymore cost when I'm not getting out as it is
What do you use to trigger the camera? Are normal remotes powerful enough or do they make ones for drones?

Sod that, I'd just tell them I had a big ladder

You don't need a license unless you use them near built up areas iirc, although that may change

What do you use to trigger the camera? Are normal remotes powerful enough or do they make ones for drones?
Nee ideas who was it in here who used kites a while back? Got some good shots in penshaw

Was listening to an article on the radio the other day. Some company in the north east are giving flying drone lessons due to the popularity of them and the complaints recently about being a danger to commercial aircraft. From what I heard they are extremely easy to fly and if you let go of the controls they will just go into a hover and can also land themselves if all goes tits up. Fitted with loads of sensors and GPS. This company also manufactures them at a cost of around £1000 all in. They have used their drones on a lot of block buster films like the hobbit franchise etc etc....

Was listening to an article on the radio the other day. Some company in the north east are giving flying drone lessons due to the popularity of them and the complaints recently about being a danger to commercial aircraft. From what I heard they are extremely easy to fly and if you let go of the controls they will just go into a hover and can also land themselves if all goes tits up. Fitted with loads of sensors and GPS. This company also manufactures them at a cost of around £1000 all in. They have used their drones on a lot of block buster films like the hobbit franchise etc etc....

Will be http://www.heliguy.com/ they are in North Shields. DJI Phantom is the most common one which starts from around £700 but then batteries are £100 each plust monitor etc so it does get expensive. They do have GPS and it can fly back to you but it doesn't account for the height of anything in its way. So it will return in the most direct way but could hit a building on its way back! It is a good idea to give lessons as plenty of people who use them are sensible and responsible but the idiots are going to spoil it for the rest.

Last edited:
Knew a lad from Chester-le-Street a few years back who thought he'd have a go with a model helicopter.
Tried it out in the garage first to get the hang of it but the thing got stuck in the roof trusses and wouldn't come down, so he had to climb up and retrieve it with the blades still turning.
Gave up photography altogether when he lost a couple of fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back