Driving license

people..my son has been sent a letter telling him he was doing 62 mph in a 50 zone.. at the roadworks near heworth coming home from work.. whats the law hes shitting himself.. do the points get doubled up in your first 2 years? ive heard this off someone.. but google and the dvla site is a bit vague.. im thinking/hoping its 3 points and a hefty fine..

people..my son has been sent a letter telling him he was doing 62 mph in a 50 zone.. at the roadworks near heworth coming home from work.. whats the law hes shitting himself.. do the points get doubled up in your first 2 years? ive heard this off someone.. but google and the dvla site is a bit vague.. im thinking/hoping its 3 points and a hefty fine..
Points don’t get doubled but if you get over 6 then a retest has to be done.

Well he's too fast for a speed awareness course, so it'll be points and a fine. Not heard about double points but I've not been a new driver for many years.

Well he's too fast for a speed awareness course, so it'll be points and a fine. Not heard about double points but I've not been a new driver for many years.

Not necessarily. A SAC can be offered up to 10% + 9mph apparently, so that would be 64mph in a 50, (50 + 5 + 9) and he was doing 62mph.
whats your thoughts on 62mph in a 50 zone.. id say its borderline how many points

It will be a SAC or 3pts

If he was caught you have a letter saying so yes?

Last edited:
Not necessarily. A SAC can be offered up to 10% + 9mph apparently, so that would be 64mph in a 50, (50 + 5 + 9) and he was doing 62mph.

It will be a SAC or 3pts

Read the 1st line of the 1st post silly

It will be a SAC or 3pts

great info that mate cheers..llooks like a 3 point penalty..

Get 6 points in first 2 years then you are back to being a learner. Theory and driving test need redoing.

62 is canny far over 50 like, it would have shown as 65 on his speedo also.
I hope you gave him a clip for being so stupid
hes already shitting himself marra.. il let him suffer a bit before i tell him the news ha...
Get 6 points in first 2 years then you are back to being a learner. Theory and driving test need redoing.
this where the confusion is.. some saying points arent doubled.. you saying they are..

Last edited:
hes already shitting himself marra.. il let him suffer a bit before i tell him the news ha...

this where the confusion is.. some saying points arent doubled.. you saying they are..
You can get an accumulation of points. The speeding offence will likely carry 3 points. He's now got another 3 points to play with.

He isn’t saying they’re doubled, he’s saying if you’d get 6 points (2 x standard speeding offences) within the first 3 years you lose your license. Your son just needs to be very careful until his 2 years are up (or get someone else to take the points!).

He isn’t saying they’re doubled, he’s saying if you’d get 6 points (2 x standard speeding offences) within the first 3 years you lose your license. Your son just needs to be very careful until his 2 years are up (or get someone else to take the points!).
to be fair mate its been coming sick and tired of telling him to slow down.. but i get you 6 points and your toast..

Back