Draw going back to 8 points

Cynical side of me thinks it’s a way of trying to stop a side win the league by blowing sides away regularly like Durham did last year.
Don’t think it really affects that. It marginally reduces the likelihood that a team will risk a loss for the chance of a win, by reducing it to a zero-sum calculation.

But the only time I think that even arguably happened in a Durham game last year in my memory is when Worcestershire declared behind to let us set a target and then got bowled out in one of the early matches. And that was a fairly sensible declaration that you might probably do under this points regime as well. Apart from that, none of our wins involved even an arguably contrived declaration or a silly chase so it would’ve made no real difference.

Last edited:
Bonus points remaining the same

Braindead thinking yet again (as per) from FTECB. They told us at the beginning of last year they wanted more results, so what did they do? They made it even harder for teams to get bonus points in the bag early, which would increase a teams likeliness for going for a result. Now, they’re making it more ‘profitable’ for teams to simply settle for draws. Morons.

Last edited:
Braindead thinking yet again (as per) from FTECB. They told us at the beginning of last year they wanted more results, so what did they do? They made it even harder for teams to get bonus points in the bag early, which would increase a teams likeliness for going for a result. Now, they’re making it more ‘profitable’ for teams to simply settle for draws. Morons.
Much as I'm loathe to defend FTECB,it's the counties themselves that decide on the CC point structure.

Enough counties will have voted for it. As last season they've probably ended up losing games trying to win, as a draw was no good for them in terms of objectives.

An extra 3 points makes it more worthwhile when your more likely to draw than win.

Don't agree with it but counties are usually about self interest.
I actually like the principle of risking losing to win, makes for better cricket imo.

A draw has its place but as a last resort imo, when you have looked at all the options to win first.

I actually like the principle of risking losing to win, makes for better cricket imo.

A draw has its place but as a last resort imo, when you have looked at all the options to win first.
Me too just trying to think of which stupid logic the counties have gone backwards with it for.

Seems a moan about loss of play due to the weather. Maybes if they played more like Durham the loss of play wouldn’t have mattered.

Me too just trying to think of which stupid logic the counties have gone backwards with it for.

Seems a moan about loss of play due to the weather. Maybes if they played more like Durham the loss of play wouldn’t have mattered.
Yeah the way Durham approached last season was spot on in terms of attacking the game.

As long as i can remember the points system is always getting tinkered with season by season. I suppose there is no perfect system but what happened to Gloucestershire last season weather wise last season although a nightmare for them is really just cricket in this country.

As long as i can remember the points system is always getting tinkered with season by season. I suppose there is no perfect system but what happened to Gloucestershire last season weather wise last season although a nightmare for them is really just cricket in this country.
Indeed them drawing the first 5 cos of rain and only picking up 5 instead of 8 points in those games, isn't why they didn't go up.

They could have won their remaining 9 and gone up they won 0.

Rain dictated the title anyway as Essex were on top in their only game against Surrey and rain insured a draw.

Last edited:
Indeed them drawing the first 5 cos of rain and only picking up 5 instead of 8 points in those games, isn't why they didn't go up.

They could have won their remaining 9 and gone up they won 0.

Rain dictated the title anyway as Essex were on top in their only game against Surrey and rain insured a draw.
Aye, it was rain that meant Surrey won the title. Nothing else :lol:

Back