Draw going back to 8 points

Did anyone give an explanation, I saw it was reported in The Cricketer but I do't have access. I sounds as if this was a predicted change rather than one that has happened, so maybe if it is still to be announced we'll hear why.

From my point of view I can't see a need for a change, especially after only one year. I reckon they should hold off on any change and allow more time.

It seems difficult to see what the point is. The top three in Div 2 in 2023 would remain the same under either points system but it does reduce the relative value of a win.

It seems difficult to see what the point is. The top three in Div 2 in 2023 would remain the same under either points system but it does reduce the relative value of a win.
Enough counties will have voted for it. As last season they've probably ended up losing games trying to win, as a draw was no good for them in terms of objectives.

An extra 3 points makes it more worthwhile when your more likely to draw than win.

Don't agree with it but counties are usually about self interest.

Last edited:
Wasn’t the point of using the Kookaburra that the England players would get more experience of playing with them competitively? And then v few played any championship games? Utterly pointless imho, unless they were trying to get Dukes to up their game quality-wise?

Wasn’t the point of using the Kookaburra that the England players would get more experience of playing with them competitively? And then v few played any championship games? Utterly pointless imho, unless they were trying to get Dukes to up their game quality-wise?
Wasn't it more like 'potential' England players.

Here's the full article-believed to be reverting

County Championship switches back to eight-point draws​

Logon or register to see this image

NICK FRIEND: The prize for a draw was reduced last summer from eight points to five, but it is believed that a share of the spoils will once again be worth eight points in 2024
Nick Friend | 16/11/2023 at 14:29
The County Championship is set to ditch part of the points structure introduced in 2023 ahead of next season, The Cricketer understands.
The prize for a draw was reduced last summer from eight points to five, but it is believed that a share of the spoils will once again be worth eight points in 2024.
The move in 2023 was brought in as an attempt to move teams away from playing for a draw, and instead encouraging them to push for wins in the manner of England's Test team.
But the early-season abject weather quickly highlighted the limitations of that plan; it meant that Gloucestershire, for example, lost significant time in each of their first five matches, drew them all and only took 38 points, effectively ending any promotion hopes before they'd begun.

The number of points for a draw in County Championship matches is returning to eight from five (Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
And while the upside was also apparent – some sides made bolder declarations, while others attempted ambitious fourth-innings run-chases – it perhaps underplayed the value of a hard-fought draw.
Although England's mantra under Brendon McCullum and Ben Stokes has been to ignore the draw, that is easier said than done in a 14-game season, where every result is consequential. Indeed, Middlesex were relegated by just seven points.
"You have to be mindful that if you lose a Test match trying to win or draw a series, that's the end of it," Dale Benkenstein, the Gloucestershire head coach, told The Cricketer in April. "For us, a draw could mean promotion, so there is a little bit more to think about. I think you have to be smart about the way you're going to play."
Another unintended consequence was the attitude of some counties towards spin. Particularly as the season wore on, teams chasing a win – with less reward for them in a four-day draw – prepared shootout surfaces that favoured seamers and led to games that were finished inside three days.

Back