|Domestic violence stats.

Gelan

Winger
It is estimated that 23% of women and 18% of men in the UK have hit their partner at least once in their relationships. The last census shows that there are around 19 million adults in relationships...not good at maths but that equates to millions of assaults. I cannot find out how these estimates were arrived at, so I asked everyone I knew if they'd ever hit their partner. From 15 couples only two haven't come to blows, these being the newest relationships. I could and should add two more that were "no comment" Is this a modern phenomena? I grew up in the 50's and knew about every volatile relationship in our street...how that was thought of as a part of everyday life is beyond me. Basically, we are still savages in this way, and I believe the level of domestic violence hasn't changed much since I was a kid, it's just more advertised. My father never raised his voice to my mother let alone a hand, so I carried on the family tradition, but no way does that set me on a pedestal because luckily I was given the correct life instructions.

Absent fathers? Bad father's? Bad siblings? Nut job partners? I have no idea, but it's across all social classes and nowt to do with wealth.

Your input would be useful for my research...cheers 👍

My Father was a violent man to our family members when in drink
I vowed as a pre-teen never to turn out like him and I'm ultra non-violent. I have been physically abused by a violent girlfriend in the past and ended the relationship as a result. I've been married for 17 years now and there's never been any violence in our marriage and in fact we've only had 2 arguments in that time (20 years altogether).

My Father was a violent man to our family members when in drink
I vowed as a pre-teen never to turn out like him and I'm ultra non-violent. I have been physically abused by a violent girlfriend in the past and ended the relationship as a result. I've been married for 17 years now and there's never been any violence in our marriage and in fact we've only had 2 arguments in that time (20 years altogether).
I also think the stats, although accurate are misleading. Especially when it comes down to domestic abuse.

I know first hand that loads of men are abused by their partners, but never report it. Women are more likely to report it, although i also appreciate most won't either and just get on with it.

I was brough up to watch my language around Women, and have never lifted a hand to wife or anyone else.

I hate people that do lift their hands. Cowards

Sadly domestic abuse is still a really big issue. It’s often passed down generations as well (for example if a child sees abuse, they think it’s normal if it happens to them).

It is estimated that 23% of women and 18% of men in the UK have hit their partner at least once in their relationships. The last census shows that there are around 19 million adults in relationships...not good at maths but that equates to millions of assaults. I cannot find out how these estimates were arrived at, so I asked everyone I knew if they'd ever hit their partner. From 15 couples only two haven't come to blows, these being the newest relationships. I could and should add two more that were "no comment" Is this a modern phenomena? I grew up in the 50's and knew about every volatile relationship in our street...how that was thought of as a part of everyday life is beyond me. Basically, we are still savages in this way, and I believe the level of domestic violence hasn't changed much since I was a kid, it's just more advertised. My father never raised his voice to my mother let alone a hand, so I carried on the family tradition, but no way does that set me on a pedestal because luckily I was given the correct life instructions.

Absent fathers? Bad father's? Bad siblings? Nut job partners? I have no idea, but it's across all social classes and nowt to do with wealth.

My dad was a nut job and used to lash me about daily till I was big enough to hit him back.

I’ve never raised my hands to my wife or my kids my wife’s never raised her hands either and she had an absent father.

It seems people just want others to blame

Sadly domestic abuse is still a really big issue. It’s often passed down generations as well (for example if a child sees abuse, they think it’s normal if it happens to them).
I have to disagree i seen abuse daily and I despise it maybe it had a different affect on others but in my case it sent me the opposite ways.

Drink and drugs play a huge part in it in my opinion

So it's actually women who are more violent.

Absent mothers? Bad mothers?

Last edited:
I have to disagree i seen abuse daily and I despise it maybe it had a different affect on others but in my case it sent me the opposite ways.

Drink and drugs play a huge part in it in my opinion
Pretty much agree. My brother and I were raised for much of our youth by our mam, as dad died of cancer quite young. She often didn’t cope well, god rest her soul. Several times she laid about us with her hands or the back of a hair brush, even a tent pole once I painfully remember.
Neither my brother or I have ever lifted a hand to anyone. There are things from those days that have rubbed off, but needing to resort to violence isn’t one of them.

So it's actually women who are more violent.

Absent mothers? Bad mothers?
my ex was the most horrible person you could meet to be fair, she never hit me but she called the police on me a few times making accusations, one that I was attacking her in the house but I left when the police arrived. If only she known I was in Cardiff at the Sunderland match eh 😂 I ended up getting a restraining order on her.

Brought up never ever raise your hand to a woman and never have. As a kid it killed me seeing my brother coming in pissed and trying to hoy punces at my dad and I was terrified as was not very old. My mam just told him to get to bed and he did , he was about 20 at the time.

my ex was the most horrible person you could meet to be fair, she never hit me but she called the police on me a few times making accusations, one that I was attacking her in the house but I left when the police arrived. If only she known I was in Cardiff at the Sunderland match eh 😂 I ended up getting a restraining order on her.
Been through a fair bit you marra all in. Love the way you seem to laugh your way through it/about it.
Brought up never ever raise your hand to a woman and never have.
I think most have, or at least were in my day. Often wondered if the same is said to young lasses about not hitting men (not only because violence is bad regardless but in these days of equality there's a good chance a bloke will return fire).

Last edited:

Back