Domestic Structure Hampers Test Side

Says Andy Flower........ and just about everyone on here.

England v Pakistan: Andy Flower says domestic structure hampers Test side

"There are too many medium-pacers who are dominating some first-class games. We need to replicate conditions as closely as we can to Test-match cricket, when fast bowlers and spinners really come into the game.

"We should, in how we structure our domestic competitions, as much as possible try to replicate those conditions

The primary issue is England keep the same squad regardless of which continent games played. It should be horses for courses and I’m amazed they still persist with the same players....that’s down to the selectors

Says Andy Flower........ and just about everyone on here.

England v Pakistan: Andy Flower says domestic structure hampers Test side

"There are too many medium-pacers who are dominating some first-class games. We need to replicate conditions as closely as we can to Test-match cricket, when fast bowlers and spinners really come into the game.

"We should, in how we structure our domestic competitions, as much as possible try to replicate those conditions."

Did he not watch this test match? 2 of Pakistan's bowlers were bowling below 85mph and destroyed us

I think you're missing the point.

I'm not, the conditions in this test match are typical English conditions, and we've been outplayed by English type bowlers and batsmen.

You play half your cricket at home, they are your most important games by far.

Did he not watch this test match? 2 of Pakistan's bowlers were bowling below 85mph and destroyed us

Hassan Ali is 85 plus mate. But I get what you're trying to say.

Pace is good but not the bee all and end all. Line and length are more important. Two of the most effective test match bowlers I've seen live have been Mo Asif and Philander. Hardly express.

Saying all that though. We do have too many military medium bowlers in this country. I can testify as I'm one lol.

Hassan Ali is 85 plus mate. But I get what you're trying to say.

Pace is good but not the bee all and end all. Line and length are more important. Two of the most effective test match bowlers I've seen live have been Mo Asif and Philander. Hardly express.

Saying all that though. We do have too many military medium bowlers in this country. I can testify as I'm one lol.

I watched South Africa destroy Australia in Australia the winter before last, Philander and Abbott were all over them, as you say, not quick bowlers

It is overplayed, we were easily the best side in the world a few years ago with 3 85mph bowlers and a world class spinner.

Pace does help obviously but I think the media and public get obsessed with an idea and it just consumes the thought process.

Wood bowled at an average of 87mph today by the way

I'm not, the conditions in this test match are typical English conditions, and we've been outplayed by English type bowlers and batsmen.

You play half your cricket at home, they are your most important games by far.

You definitely did.

He wasn't saying stop playing cricket in April/May - he was simply wanting to play cricket throughout the summer on a more even keel.

What's more, it was a general conversation about the last couple of years, home and away and the future - so you highlighting any exceptions to the rule in this one Test Match definitely IS missing the point.

What do we not produce? FAST bowlers, which is mainly because military medium seems to take wickets in County cricket and while something is working for counties, they aren't going to change tact are they?

Our batsmen are our biggest problem so I fail to see how pace/spinners rectify that.

Consistently playing against real pace and better bowlers will improve our batsmen.........

In the same way that 'You can only get smarter, by playing a smarter opponent' (The fundamentals of Chess 1883) ;)

You definitely did.

He wasn't saying stop playing cricket in April/May - he was simply wanting to play cricket throughout the summer on a more even keel.

What's more, it was a general conversation about the last couple of years, home and away and the future - so you highlighting any exceptions to the rule in this one Test Match definitely IS missing the point.

What do we not produce? FAST bowlers, which is mainly because military medium seems to take wickets in County cricket and while something is working for counties, they aren't going to change tact are they?
The thing that does concern me is the batting.

We're never -or incredibly rarely, at any rate - going to produce genuine quicks or spinners because as you say, medium Pacers who can move the ball take batches of wickets in county cricket, hence why we've always got an exorbitant number of 80-85mph seamers to choose from.

But given those conditions, and it's what English batsmen are used to facing, you'd think that they'd be able to do with a moving ball on a slightly green top, yet time and time again, our batters just collapse like a house of cards the moment there's any amount of deviation.

Consistently playing against real pace and better bowlers will improve our batsmen.........

In the same way that 'You can only get smarter, by playing a smarter opponent' (The fundamentals of Chess 1883) ;)
If we had a team of players fresh out of CC action you'd have a point.

But the majority have been test regulars for a fair few years and have looked lost apart from in South Africa since the ashes in 2015.

If we had a team of players fresh out of CC action you'd have a point.

But the majority have been test regulars for a fair few years and have looked lost apart from in South Africa since the ashes in 2015.

I do have a point, they don't play any cricket to prepare for Tests. Whether it's CC or otherwise. Lack of proper preparation is what I'm getting at.

I do have a point, they don't play any cricket to prepare for Tests. Whether it's CC or otherwise. Lack of proper preparation is what I'm getting at.
They do sort from the minority who go to the I'll. What they w/o t do afaik is to play a warm up match as England. I have no doubt this would help , especially for Joe Root as captain.

Back