Dom Bess

brandon

Striker
Any thoughts on this kid?

Saw he was 80 odd not out for Somerset coming in at 10 v Hampfrica - so checked his stats on Cricinfo: Averaging 22 with the bat, already has a FC 100 and 21 with the ball. More than respectable stats them.

Any thoughts on this kid?

Saw he was 80 odd not out for Somerset coming in at 10 v Hampfrica - so checked his stats on Cricinfo: Averaging 22 with the bat, already has a FC 100 and 21 with the ball. More than respectable stats them.
With him virdi and Parkinson as young English spinners doing well. I hope they will make it to test level.

Heard Bess higher rated than leach.

Scored a 100 either for the lions or in the north and south game, can't remember.

With him virdi and Parkinson as young English spinners doing well. I hope they will make it to test level.

Heard Bess higher rated than leach.

its hard to judge as we never pick our actual spinner, every tour we go on we just pick blokes who can bowl and bat a bit, Ansari, Patel etc

No other test nation does it as much! Just pick your best spinners

Scored a 100 either for the lions or in the north and south game, can't remember.

its hard to judge as we never pick our actual spinner, every tour we go on we just pick blokes who can bowl and bat a bit, Ansari, Patel etc

No other test nation does it as much! Just pick your best spinners

Definitely right that, unfortunately Team England prefer three dimensional cricketers as much as Durham do.

Including seamers too over the years to their detriment.

I really don't think it's as easy as that.

What happens if your two best seamers can't keep a straight one out with the bat and have a batting average of 5?

Do you just stick your best spinner in?

Somewhere along the line you need to think about the depth of batting and maybe you can only afford to play so many bunnies. And if you look and Warne and Nathan Lyon for example - at least you can count on them to put up resistance with the bat.

Daniel Vettori too. He was picked for more than his bowling.

There are many Test matches where the spinner doesn't get a bowl at all - this happened to John Emburey a lot.

I know what you're saying but I think you're wrong to be so absolutist about it.

Having said that I wouldn't be against the likes of Bess or Leach being given a go - in fact in the case of Leach there's an argument of him and Ali both playing given he's a left armer depending on the pitch and the expectation it may wear and turn.

I really don't think it's as easy as that.

What happens if your two best seamers can't keep a straight one out with the bat and have a batting average of 5?

Do you just stick your best spinner in?

Somewhere along the line you need to think about the depth of batting and maybe you can only afford to play so many bunnies. And if you look and Warne and Nathan Lyon for example - at least you can count on them to put up resistance with the bat.

Daniel Vettori too. He was picked for more than his bowling.

There are many Test matches where the spinner doesn't get a bowl at all - this happened to John Emburey a lot.

I know what you're saying but I think you're wrong to be so absolutist about it.

Having said that I wouldn't be against the likes of Bess or Leach being given a go - in fact in the case of Leach there's an argument of him and Ali both playing given he's a left armer depending on the pitch and the expectation it may wear and turn.
Vettori was a very good spinner so I think he’s a bad example, but you’re right there is a balance

On Bess, he is highly thought of and his stats look promising. But he is playing at Taunton ;)

If you can find a good quality 6 or 7 batters you can play as many rabbits as you like. The long tails are highlighted when you are constantly 50/5

If you can find a good quality 6 or 7 batters you can play as many rabbits as you like. The long tails are highlighted when you are constantly 50/5
Aye it doesn't work like that mostly does it.

If you have a good batter at 7 you start to wish no 8,9,10 know enough to be able to hang around to enable your no 7 to score - without doing that daft 3 dot balls, a quick single then hope the bunny can survive the last two.

It's a balance … of course if you have a world class spinner like Swann who could and did win games then you're laughing (until he retires to do commentary).

Case for picking him as a batsman?

A lot of comparisons made to Swann over the past couple of hours - which of course will happen. Seen nowt to excite us bowling wise, but if he can justify a selection at 8 on batting talent, we could try to nurture him in the side for a couple of years.

A lot of comparisons made to Swann over the past couple of hours - which of course will happen. Seen nowt to excite us bowling wise, but if he can justify a selection at 8 on batting talent, we could try to nurture him in the side for a couple of years.
Yeah. Ultimately he will be judged on his bowling of course, but spinners don’t always feature so a second string to his bow is very very very handy

Well, after he got over his nerves in the second innings he looked cool calm and an asset to the side. The way he saw off the final ball of the day to the boundary was way above what was expected. He looked to attack without taking risks and had the Pakistani's looking a bit lost for ideas. Reality of course came in to play today and he was on a hiding to nothing being allowed to bowl the match out!

Back