Dolphins off Sunderland shore!

I remember when that seal was seen in the weir. Vaux had dumped hundreds of gallons of beer in the river at about that time iirc. Poor bastard was found dead a few weeks later.

Still, the way I would want to go.

I remember when that seal was seen in the weir. Vaux had dumped hundreds of gallons of beer in the river at about that time iirc. Poor bastard was found dead a few weeks later.

Still, the way I would want to go.
Years ago I once heard of a fella who fell in to one of the vats at Vauxies and died.

They say it took him a full four hours to drown.

Well it would have been quicker but he got out three time for a piss.

Quite often seals in the wear i see them when at work as far down as the new bridge...otters anarl.
Sammy the Seal was a well known character to the lads who worked in Pickies Southwick yard in the early 1970's . S/he would follow the sea trout up the river in the summer months. But otters - that's remarkable there was never any hope of seeing one of them in those days.

How the river Wear has changed. Basically it was an industrial sewer when I was a kid. If you fell in and swallowed the water the chances of getting something very nasty was very high.

Sammy the Seal was a well known character to the lads who worked in Pickies Southwick yard in the early 1970's . S/he would follow the sea trout up the river in the summer months. But otters - that's remarkable there was never any hope of seeing one of them in those days.

How the river Wear has changed. Basically it was an industrial sewer when I was a kid. If you fell in and swallowed the water the chances of getting something very nasty was very high.
Aye deffo otters mate think they live around clatchy rock area ...see them now and then when the tide is low on the banks.

Back