Dogs of The SMB.

Labs are beautiful dogs.
@Swindon On Tour

Thinking about it, most dogs are, it’s just some of the owners who cause problems .

Just beautiful ❤️
I'm struggling with it today. It was very unexpected, I took him for his evening walk around 5:30pm as per usual on Tuesday, he scoffed his tea and then an hour later he was breathing really oddly and had no strength. Within 12 hours we had to say our goodbyes, I just wasn't mentally prepared for this. He was my shadow, followed me everywhere, sat with me wherever I sat, I did the vast majority of his walks, really long walks at weekends too. I'm really going to miss the daft lad

This morning was awful, I am so used to him getting up and waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs wagging his tail, the house feels so empty without him and that's with us having two young kids

Just struggle to put words together when you lose a special dog.
No guilt or blame, you gave him everything.
So sad to hear.😞

Last edited:

No, Petsercise at Tantobie. It took a few weeks for her to be accepted after contacting them due to the fact they had no vacancies.
I dropped her off at 8.30 am and they dropped her off at 3.10. She was hyper and nearly knocked me over. After a little snack she crashed in her bed, absolutely knackered.
Our little Jasper went there for Puppy training

So, so sorry mate.
It really is the worst feeling.
It never completely goes away marra, but that tearing grief eventually becomes a dull ache, and then all the beautiful times come rushing back, then all your thoughts of him are happy ones.
That gaping hole you feel now does get smaller mate, even though it doesn't feel that way now.
Thoughts are with you.
Cheers mate, at 45 I thought I'd have a better handle on this for when it happened but I was massively kidding myself

Our little Jasper went there for Puppy training
I have lived in Tanfield Lea for 20 years and didn’t know they existed until middle of last year when I started seeing all their vans driving around when I was walking Cassie. They must have at least 7 vans and they certainly seem busy. We are thinking of putting Cassie in their accommodation for 2 weeks when we go away in October.

We lost our boy yesterday, adopted him in Jan 2013 and he gave us 11 and a bit of the best years of my life. Absolutely grief stricken whilst trying to put a brave face on things at work. Loosing them is so f***ing hard
Man you’re not kidding. It will be 3 years in May since I lost my girl, honestly I still miss her every single day.

Not one day went by where she didn’t make me laugh or at least smile. No human has ever managed that. Still the hardest and saddest day of my life letting her go.

You have my sympathy pal 💔

I'm struggling with it today. It was very unexpected, I took him for his evening walk around 5:30pm as per usual on Tuesday, he scoffed his tea and then an hour later he was breathing really oddly and had no strength. Within 12 hours we had to say our goodbyes, I just wasn't mentally prepared for this. He was my shadow, followed me everywhere, sat with me wherever I sat, I did the vast majority of his walks, really long walks at weekends too. I'm really going to miss the daft lad

This morning was awful, I am so used to him getting up and waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs wagging his tail, the house feels so empty without him and that's with us having two young kids
I lost my 15 year old westie in Sept 2022. He was absolutely fine on the Friday, had a walk, ate his food. We all went to bed at about 10.

I heard him clicking about the bedroom, on the wooden floor, all night, didn't seem to settle. Got up at 7 and he was leaning against our bed and trembling. Wouldn't walk or go out. Phoned the vets and took him in. They gave him some pain relief and sedative, took some bloods. We went back at 2 and we had to say goodbye.

We were absolutely gutted, I seemed to keep forgetting and was surprised when he wasn't curled up in his usual spot, then I would remember. Took a few months.

We ended up with another, a 7 year old rescue, in November, I posted his picture a few months ago. He's settled right in and he's well loved but he's not a "replacement". Could never be. No doubt I will be gutted when he goes as well.

Dogs are beyond great, sometimes I am not sure we deserve them.

Man you’re not kidding. It will be 3 years in May since I lost my girl, honestly I still miss her every single day.

Not one day went by where she didn’t make me laugh or at least smile. No human has ever managed that. Still the hardest and saddest day of my life letting her go.

You have my sympathy pal 💔
Agree totally mate.
I lost my first dog 43 years ago, and still miss him and think about him every day.
Its just good memories now.
View media item 12436

Last edited:
I lost my 15 year old westie in Sept 2022. He was absolutely fine on the Friday, had a walk, ate his food. We all went to bed at about 10.

I heard him clicking about the bedroom, on the wooden floor, all night, didn't seem to settle. Got up at 7 and he was leaning against our bed and trembling. Wouldn't walk or go out. Phoned the vets and took him in. They gave him some pain relief and sedative, took some bloods. We went back at 2 and we had to say goodbye.

We were absolutely gutted, I seemed to keep forgetting and was surprised when he wasn't curled up in his usual spot, then I would remember. Took a few months.

We ended up with another, a 7 year old rescue, in November, I posted his picture a few months ago. He's settled right in and he's well loved but he's not a "replacement". Could never be. No doubt I will be gutted when he goes as well.

Dogs are beyond great, sometimes I am not sure we deserve them.

I'm really struggling to be honest but it's only been two days, the last two mornings, going downstairs and not seeing him on the sofa has broken me and yesterday, returning to an empty house because my wife was on the school pick up, was horrible. Whenever he heard the car arrive on the drive he'd be barking away, making a general pest of himself, but now, the silence was just awful. I can understand why some people rush into getting a new dog soon after a loss but I just couldn't do it at the moment until we're 100% sure it's the best thing for us and the dog

We will pick his ashes up from the vets next week though, I'm hoping that will bring a small bit of closure
Agree totally mate.
I lost my first dog 43 years ago, and still miss him and think about him every day.
Its just good memories now.
View media item 12436
Lovely dog

I still take our girls ashes up to bed every night ffs! First night we got them back I said to the mrs “she wouldn’t like being downstairs on her own, I’ll bring her up just for tonight” 3 years on and she comes up with us every night.

Makes no sense I know but I can’t help it.

I'm really struggling to be honest but it's only been two days, the last two mornings, going downstairs and not seeing him on the sofa has broken me and yesterday, returning to an empty house because my wife was on the school pick up, was horrible. Whenever he heard the car arrive on the drive he'd be barking away, making a general pest of himself, but now, the silence was just awful. I can understand why some people rush into getting a new dog soon after a loss but I just couldn't do it at the moment until we're 100% sure it's the best thing for us and the dog

We will pick his ashes up from the vets next week though, I'm hoping that will bring a small bit of closure
You will know when it's time marra.
I really struggled after I lost my last Springer and I think I waited too long tbh, because my new little lad has stolen my heart again.
I wish I'd got him sooner because that puppy and training joy is just life affirming.

You will know when its time.

Last edited:

Lovely dog

It’s grieving Mate and no right or wrong on how you cope and get through it.
The emptiness is up there with the worst feeling I have ever felt and always questioning why would you have another dog just because of that last chapter that is always so bastard sad.

I have never forgotten this from a farmer when I lost my Ben, a wonderful black Lab.
When you lose a dog, he or she is put on that pedestal as the best dog in the World and quite rightly so. We generally have to go through a grieving process before we contemplate another one.
They are never the same, like having 2 kids which you can love just the same.
You as the owner need that immense satisfaction that you gave that dog an excellent life and how good is that.
Always another dog that needs an owner like you.
Time is the only healer we have and trust me you are not alone by shedding a tear.

Finally the Book had many Chapters, every one of them just superb but with a real sad ending. The book will always be remembered.❤️

Keep that head up Mate as best you can and as a family just keep supporting each other.

Last edited:
It’s grieving Mate and no right or wrong on how you cope and get through it.
The emptiness is up there with the worst feeling I have ever felt and always questioning why would you have another dog just because of that last chapter that is always so bastard sad.

I have never forgotten this from a farmer when I lost my Ben, a wonderful black Lab.
When you lose a dog, he or she is put on that pedestal as the best dog in the World and quite rightly so. We generally have to go through a grieving process before we contemplate another one.
They are never the same, like having 2 kids which you can love just the same.
You as the owner need that immense satisfaction that you gave that dog an excellent life and how good is that.
Always another dog that needs an owner like you.
Time is the only healer we have and trust me you are not alone by shedding a tear.

Finally the Book had many Chapters, every one of them just superb but with a real sad ending. The book will always be remembered.❤️

Keep that head up Mate as best you can and as a family just keep supporting each other.

Cheers mate, means a lot that, honestly

Back