Doggy worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkyexile

Striker
Not sure if i`ve got a poorly doggy or not. She a bit lethargic, off her meat although she`s still happily munching away on her bonio type snacks but we`ve noticed tonight the area round her two back teats looks saggy like their full up, and her nips are looking a bit stiff. Sounds odd but thats what we`ve noticed. She`s a year old never been near another dog, any ideas till the vets opens or are we panicking about nowt?

Not sure if i`ve got a poorly doggy or not. She a bit lethargic, off her meat although she`s still happily munching away on her bonio type snacks but we`ve noticed tonight the area round her two back teats looks saggy like their full up, and her nips are looking a bit stiff. Sounds odd but thats what we`ve noticed. She`s a year old never been near another dog, any ideas till the vets opens or are we panicking about nowt?

She could be just having a false pregnancy , my last dog had loads - check time see if she has built any nests under tables etc , often put their toys in them too as babies

Mines been heat for the first time (she's 8 month) No swelling like, but she's definitely not been herself.

That is a very good sign! If she was not eating at all, then that is the time to worry mate. She is young, so her health should be ok. Just keep an eye on things but try not to worry mate.

She could be just having a false pregnancy , my last dog had loads - check time see if she has built any nests under tables etc , often put their toys in them too as babies
By the way what can you do if she is? Jsut nurse her through it type thing?

Sounds like she’s coming into season mate or even a phantom pregnancy, sounds very similar to what ours experienced

Yes and it’s generally better for the dog as reduced risk of certain cancers linked to reproductive system. I would mention it to the vet when you have next checkup see what they say

This.
Having her spayed if you’re not going to breed off her is the most sensible option.

Has she been spayed? If not when was her last season?
And does speying stop it? we have no plans on breeding her at all

You can get something called Galastop from the vet, stops her lactating and brings her back to normal.

Speying can cause something called urinary incontinence in some bitches (I’ve been unlucky enough to have 3 done and all have ended up leaking) as they aren’t producing enough hormones any more to keep everything working correctly down there.

Last edited:
Check her privates to see if they are swollen as well. You might even find small traces of blood on blankets where she has been sitting. My toy poodle also had breast swelling with her first season but not so much this season. She was also off her grub and things that she normally wolfs down she would ignore. Try switching her to a different food. I moved mine onto the Bakers complete and she loves it. She likes to bring a cube in and fling it round the sitting room before sitting on the settee and eating the food.

Let her have another season after this one so that she is fully grown and has all her hormones for growing etc. Then my vet said you wait another three months after the second season before spaying. So that will make her about eighteen months old. It’s the same for boy dogs as well. Let them finish growing then have them neutered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back