Dog advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cowvahlo

Alfie, my German shepherd, is 10yr old and starting to slow down, I’ve made the decision that once he is in pain then I’m going to let him go to the big kennel in the sky straightaway, I’m not messing about keeping him going with tablets, etc.

The question is, I’m tempted to get a new pup now but should I get two pups as once Alf goes the pup might suffer. Does it make sense to get two pups now, no pups, or just shut the fuck up and enjoy the time I’ve got left with Alf?

It's possible that Alfie, as an old dog who's slowing down, won't be happy with a puppy in the house, isn't it? They've got a lot of energy and will want to play with him whilst he just wants to have a rest, put his paws up and binge-watch Dogtanian and the Muskehounds.
There is that side to it but there’s also the chance that having younger dogs around him will keep him going a bit longer...I always had the two dogs, it’s only the past could of years since Jasper died that I’ve only had the one....Alf is pretty sociable and does like having other dogs to look after.

Guess this is part of the conundrum

Alfie, my German shepherd, is 10yr old and starting to slow down, I’ve made the decision that once he is in pain then I’m going to let him go to the big kennel in the sky straightaway, I’m not messing about keeping him going with tablets, etc.

The question is, I’m tempted to get a new pup now but should I get two pups as once Alf goes the pup might suffer. Does it make sense to get two pups now, no pups, or just shut the fuck up and enjoy the time I’ve got left with Alf?

Either way, suggest you buy your pups from @Les the Scientist's ex lass as there should be some good deals from her closing down sale

I've found introducing a puppy into a house where an older dog is starting to slow can get give the older dog a new lease of life. I would get one at a time though, 2 puppies at once is difficult to train individually. Give it 6 months to a year between.

Have a break without a dog.
Fuck that.
There is that side to it but there’s also the chance that having younger dogs around him will keep him going a bit longer...I always had the two dogs, it’s only the past could of years since Jasper died that I’ve only had the one....Alf is pretty sociable and does like having other dogs to look after.

As long as he's a sociable dog I'd get as many as possible :lol: a couple of pups might bring him a new lease of life.

I've found introducing a puppy into a house where an older dog is starting to slow can get give the older dog a new lease of life. I would get one at a time though, 2 puppies at once is difficult to train individually. Give it 6 months to a year between.
It can be, but it can also be easier. If one pup sees the other getting rewarded for something during the learning period then they'll pick up on that behaviour too. Same as if they're getting disciplined.

You could always end up with two thick as fuck puppies though who take ages to train and don't learn from the other's behaviour :lol: bit of a coin toss really.

Last edited:
I think my younger one keeps the older one young. He's 12 now and still runs around like a lunatic on the field.

When Alfie passes, the pup might be lonely so you'll end up getting another one and be stuck with having two forever. That's the cycle I'm stuck in. Not that I mind like :D

Maybe ask the vet , if he's just slowing down can't see the harm but if there's some medical issues behind it might not be good for the old fella - ultimately do what's best for the dog not you

We've got 2 dogs and the oldest is 11 and poorly. We asked the vet about getting a puppy and they said it would be cruel to the 11 year old. Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd put covers on your cars seats, wet wipes are also a blessing. Start slow, maybe just watch for the first session to build confidence and..... Sorry misread title.

That was my thought. If he's a good lad, the pup/s will settle quicker too

@Cowvahlo get a puppy mate. Get a well behaved breed perhaps or try to pick one that isn't a little bastard. I reckon if Alfie has a class temperament he will be ower the knot end with a bit of company especially if he is in the twilight of his years.

He's going to smell a rat as soon as you buy a puppy like. Poor thing will be shitting himself every time he hears the car keys jangle.
Ffs man!:lol:

We've got 2 dogs and the oldest is 11 and poorly. We asked the vet about getting a puppy and they said it would be cruel to the 11 year old. Good luck with whatever you decide
Why did the vet say that it’d be cruel mate?

Ffs man!:lol:

Why did the vet say that it’d be cruel mate?

Because the old dog might feel that it's getting pushed aside. When we got our second dog 8 year ago the older dog (who was 3) started to druel. Also because the puppy would be very energetic around the house.

I hope when the OP starts to slow down his kids don't bother with those pesky tablet things to try and keep him going. Dogs' probably only got a cold or summit ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back