Dog advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope when the OP starts to slow down his kids don't bother with those pesky tablet things to try and keep him going. Dogs' probably only got a cold or summit ffs.

To be honest, any half decent vet won't put a dog down unless it will never recover enough to have a reasonable quality of life.

I hope when the OP starts to slow down his kids don't bother with those pesky tablet things to try and keep him going. Dogs' probably only got a cold or summit ffs.
I’m afraid not, his hips have started to go, common problem with the breed. He can’t climb or jump anywhere near as well as he could a year ago, starting to drag his back paws...all signs that the inevitable is happening. Had him at the vets not so long back and they picked upon it.:cry:

Talking of puppies me and my flat chested wife went to see a marriage guidance counsellor last week. The counsellor asked us; "What seems to be the problem?" "Well," I said, "Dolly Parton here thinks I'm too sarcastic."

In respect to your best friend ...he'll let you know when its time. Take some time to fully get over your loss and decide then about a puppy.

Alfie, my German shepherd, is 10yr old and starting to slow down, I’ve made the decision that once he is in pain then I’m going to let him go to the big kennel in the sky straightaway, I’m not messing about keeping him going with tablets, etc.

The question is, I’m tempted to get a new pup now but should I get two pups as once Alf goes the pup might suffer. Does it make sense to get two pups now, no pups, or just shut the fuck up and enjoy the time I’ve got left with Alf?
Old dog won't be fucked on with puppies like ,obvious really .

I’m afraid not, his hips have started to go, common problem with the breed. He can’t climb or jump anywhere near as well as he could a year ago, starting to drag his back paws...all signs that the inevitable is happening. Had him at the vets not so long back and they picked upon it.:cry:
Genuinely sorry to hear that mate. Been there. It's shit.

Alfie, my German shepherd, is 10yr old and starting to slow down, I’ve made the decision that once he is in pain then I’m going to let him go to the big kennel in the sky straightaway, I’m not messing about keeping him going with tablets, etc.

The question is, I’m tempted to get a new pup now but should I get two pups as once Alf goes the pup might suffer. Does it make sense to get two pups now, no pups, or just shut the fuck up and enjoy the time I’ve got left with Alf?
10's a bit young isn't it m8? I lost my old girl she was 14, no quality so said goodbye. Me n our lass said no more cos we were that upset, got a new doppelgänger for ours after six days! She's 4 now, wouldn't be without her.

get a pup, done it 3 times in the past , gives the older dog a new lease of life

I've done the "get a pup" thing twice now. Both times it rejuvenated the incumbent dog to my considerable joy.

10's a bit young isn't it m8? I lost my old girl she was 14, no quality so said goodbye. Me n our lass said no more cos we were that upset, got a new doppelgänger for ours after six days! She's 4 now, wouldn't be without her.
Did you have a shepherd mate? Life expectancy is 12-13, I’ve no doubt that when he deteriorates I could keep him going with tablets but Ive decided not to do that. Don’t want him to suffer in any way what so ever. I’ve discussed it with the kids and they agree, we’d rather he went as the dog we know and love than have any memories sullied by illness. TBH, Alf deserves that as well, he doesn’t deserve any suffering...fuck me, welling up typing that and he’s way off being at that point yet!

I've done the "get a pup" thing twice now. Both times it rejuvenated the incumbent dog to my considerable joy.
Pleased to hear that mate!:cool:

Did you have a shepherd mate? Life expectancy is 12-13, I’ve no doubt that when he deteriorates I could keep him going with tablets but Ive decided not to do that. Don’t want him to suffer in any way what so ever. I’ve discussed it with the kids and they agree, we’d rather he went as the dog we know and love than have any memories sullied by illness. TBH, Alf deserves that as well, he doesn’t deserve any suffering...fuck me, welling up typing that and he’s way off being at that point yet!

Border collie bud, same expectancy, she was crossed with a lab, gorgeous looking, great temperament and still miss her now. The new one is her double and a right diva. Good luck m8.

Definitely not fella. Let the old geezer enjoy his twilight years. Pups are a fecking nightmare for older dogs

I'm currently dogless, mine passed away not so long ago. I'd have a house full, but at the moment it's not practical.

If I was you I'd get a pup now. From experience things can go rapidly downhill. And the longer you leave it without a dog the harder it gets to think about having another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back