Do you check your eggs before..

I got it from my Mam, she would drag us shopping with her when i was little and under no circumstances pick an egg box up without checking it. Haven’t thought about that in decades, funny how a post can take you back, hated going shopping with her back then, wish i could go back i’d jump at the chance now 😔.
As an aside the art of finding a double yolker seems to have died out, it was an event in our house if my dad cracked an egg into the pan and it had twin yolks, all gathered around him to see this special egg bubbling away as he fried it. Never seen it since i was a kid, wonder if they get weeded out now?
Fish shop in sea road used to sell double yolkers

I always check like. Mind, it's annoying because all it does is demonstrate that the eggs were perfectly fine having been picked up, transported to a packaging place, processed, driven hundreds of miles to a supermarket and hoyed about by shelf stackers who couldn't give a fuck, only to be smashed to fuck after a 5 minute drive back to my house. Might stop checking so that at least I can blame the supermarket for breakages rather than admitting I'm shit at packing shopping and driving.

Oh, and even though it makes fuck all difference, I discard packs if the eggs have feathers stuck to them. No idea why but it proper creeps me out

I got it from my Mam, she would drag us shopping with her when i was little and under no circumstances pick an egg box up without checking it. Haven’t thought about that in decades, funny how a post can take you back, hated going shopping with her back then, wish i could go back i’d jump at the chance now 😔.
As an aside the art of finding a double yolker seems to have died out, it was an event in our house if my dad cracked an egg into the pan and it had twin yolks, all gathered around him to see this special egg bubbling away as he fried it. Never seen it since i was a kid, wonder if they get weeded out now?
I've found if you buy the really wass ones (XL size) there's a decent proportion are double yolkers. I'm not convinced I like them more though.... effectively eating twin baby chickens (albeit unfertilised) instead of single ones.

I'm a checker. One of them things I got from going shopping with me Mam as a bairn. She always checked.
But aye as someone else said cracked eggs used to be quite common. I can't recall having found one now in a decade or so.

I do now but never used to. Couple of times I had cracked ones though so now I check and if there’s one cracked it goes back on the shelf for someone else to pick it up.

Back