Do you check your eggs before..

Buying them?

Saw someone today just walk in pick up a box of six and walk off.

Have to check mine. Don’t even know what I’m looking for when i do.

Any non checkers or checkers on here ?
Nope I always check them. A habit I got from my nana, who used to always send me round the shop for a dozen eggs and say "Make sure you check the eggs before you pay" as i was opening the front door. It always stuck with me.

I check the date on the box and that’s about it.
Don’t actually open the box? Mad man you. Living on the edge.
Do you think you may be looking at them to see if broken? Just a thought.
Nah as I know none be broken. I think it’s just a habit.
Nope I always check them. A habit I got from my nana, who used to always send me round the shop for a dozen eggs and say "Make sure you check the eggs before you pay" as i was opening the front door. It always stuck with me.
Need to ask me ma if she checks her eggs might have picked it up from her.

I don't know if standards have risen and its now a low risk, but decades ago you would almost certainly have one cracked egg, also sometimes a sub-standard sized one, if you just grabbed a box, so it's probably the one thing outside fruit and veg that I'd take a look over before buying. I assume its expected as most packaging is sealed...

Don't do the egg buying now. But always looked inside the box for broken or cracked.
They seem much better now than yonks ago when there'd be loads cracked. Just better handling now.
Used to give the box a shake. Little rattle = good. Lot of rattle = bad, because box size is same size, more rattle means smaller eggs.
I should check the dates, but i rarely do.

I got it from my Mam, she would drag us shopping with her when i was little and under no circumstances pick an egg box up without checking it. Haven’t thought about that in decades, funny how a post can take you back, hated going shopping with her back then, wish i could go back i’d jump at the chance now 😔.
As an aside the art of finding a double yolker seems to have died out, it was an event in our house if my dad cracked an egg into the pan and it had twin yolks, all gathered around him to see this special egg bubbling away as he fried it. Never seen it since i was a kid, wonder if they get weeded out now?

Last edited:

Back