do you believe the universe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...just spontaneously burst into existence (Big Bang style, or whatever)?

..or that it was willed into existence?

and if you believe it was willed into existence does that mean you believe in God?

I mean, do whole universes just pop into existence for no reason?
No God, just a freak accident with no reason.

Some things have to be best educated guesses though at best tbf. Mentioned this example before. Coxy talking about the formation of the solar system. Stating as fact that early Jupiter went on the rampage and made its way towards the four rocky planets. As it got close to Mars, Saturn was born. And Saturn's gravity pulled Jupiter back and prevented it from destroying the likes of Mars and Earth. This all played out a ridiculously long time ago so it simply can't be known.
I think you just left out the “for certain” clause right at the end.

What Cox presented was a model answer based on the evidence available and plausible calculations. Those same calculations have proved to be incredibly accurate going forwards (otherwise the Voyager probes wouldn’t have managed to get anywhere near the outer planets) so it means the model explanations going backwards are plausible and far, far better than just a guess or a belief (which is what the god squad use).

Why is is difficult to believe there was the nothing? What’s that stuff between the Earth and the moon - oh, nothing. 99% of the current universe is nothing.

It's a strange one. I don't believe the universe was created/willed into existence, so I have to believe that something came from nothing, which is mad.
No you don't. There is no evidence that there was ever a 'nothing'. No scientific models of the origin of the universe include anything coming from nothing, because as I said earlier, that is a contradiction of terms. Saying that there used to be a 'nothing' that something came from is like saying that you used to be a married bachelor.

I can’t get my head around that there was nothing. Then everything.
Absolutely. Neither can I.

Still doesn’t mean it requires a god to be invented to fill that lack of understanding though.

One way of thinking about it, more commonly used as the “nothing” as in what happens when we die, is to compare it with the “nothing” before we were born.

It’s off-script, out of scope, not relevant - loads of ways to describe it when we can’t understand or appreciate it.

Frijj’s comparison (also used by Jim Al-Khalili in his books) is for a comic character who lives in a 2D comic strip and is therefore only familiar with circles and squares. Get him to try to visualise spheres and cubes and he is lost. He can’t do it because it’s outside of his available parameters of thinking.

Inventing a god to fill in the answer, and then claiming to “know” it is true, is an incredibly lazy but also arrogant approach.

No scientist I know has ever said they “know” something is true, only that the explanation they are suggesting best fits the available evidence - and usually incredibly fits strongly.

Last edited:
I don't think either is likely - I'm not convinced either is possible. I don't think there ever was 'nothing' because that is an inherently contradictory state, and there's no reason to there was or could be 'nothing'. As you say, there is also no reason to assume that at the beginning of the universe, prior to any intelligent agents, that there was some inexplixable, eternal, disembodied, human-like brain-in-a-vat meta-genie floating about without a lamp, just creating things ex nihilo and willing things arbitrarily.

I'm not disputing the Big Bang BTW, im disputing that there was 'nothing' before it - even that sentence doesn't make sense :) Because if there was nothing before it, then there was also no time. As far as we can tell, something has always existed.
I think both are mind blowing concepts. There could have been nothing and then something, which goes against all we know about physics, but is the best explanation we have. An alternative is that there just always was, but that in itself is mind blowing too.

To quote Brian Cox, that is why physics is brilliant.

It could be that what Frijj has been saying is more along the right lines. We can’t conceive any of it because we have a tiny view of space and the available dimensions. We don’t even fully know the shape and our position in our galaxy. We are building a better picture every day, but our attempts have been likened to trying to map your town, or the world, from what you can see out your bedroom window. If we can’t do that, mapping the universe through time in multiple dimensions seems way off.

What is a shame is that religion is so ingrained in our culture, that this thread demonstrates that very quickly for things we can’t explain, we still talk about the magic wand solution with almost equal value to the best scientific theory based on empirical evidence so far. Could be worse, the conspiracy nuts have not derailed this yet. Probably sniffing a bit of glue while checking what independent thought youtube says they should have, before posting.

Attempt at what? I’m not sure where the everything came from, just pointing out how easy it is to visualise the nothing bit.
That isn't 'nothing' though. 'Nothing' - as in 'ex nihilo' - has no properties, and thus cannot be described or conceptualised.

Attempt at what? I’m not sure where the everything came from, just pointing out how easy it is to visualise the nothing bit.
It is not nothing though. There are a small amount of particles, but there is also light, radiation and distance. We can (not personally) travel that distance in a finite amount of time and once that moment is passed it can not be recreated. The idea of before the big bang was that there was no particles, light, radiation, time or distance. You could not travel through that nothing, because there was nothing to travel through.

We could all characters in someone else's game. More 'The Sims' than 'The Matrix' but something along those lines.

Probably not like but it's entirely feasible :lol:

We could all characters in someone else's game. More 'The Sims' than 'The Matrix' but something along those lines.

Probably not like but it's entirely feasible :lol:
Rene Descartes went back to basics and assumed that nothing could be believed. The only thing he was sure of was that he had thoughts.

Seems a bit of a palaver.

It’s the bit after the Big Bang I don’t get. Are we supposed to believe that we came from dust and gas to what we have now by pure chance selection over a very long time period. Not sure Darwin was right.

And please don’t post about monkeys and typewriters.
That is another difficult concept.

I can see how a dust cloud could condense to make a sun and planet system. I can see how those planets may have cooled and intense geological activity calmed down enough for liquid water (for planets conveniently placed, like ours) to form, weather systems to be created and an atmosphere to be created.

I can see how the simplest life form needed energy to grown and reproduce, so each step of the way it got more and more complex, resulting in the wide variety of life we have today.

What I struggle with is the idea that the first single cell life form happened. You have chemicals, minerals etc, that are just there. Some react together to change state. But at some point some mixed together in just the right way to produce something that needed energy to survive. Without it, it would die. It would have the same chemical make up but not be alive. With enough energy it could reproduce, but if it died it could no longer absorb energy to reproduce. Even without intellegence, it needed something to survive and had the concept of being dead or alive, then for the successors, born.

Once that happened for the very first cell, that was it, the rest becomes possible. But that first one having this new state unlike anything before, I struggle to get my head around.

...just spontaneously burst into existence (Big Bang style, or whatever)?

..or that it was willed into existence?

and if you believe it was willed into existence does that mean you believe in God?

I mean, do whole universes just pop into existence for no reason?
I don't particularly believe in either and both ideas seem as far fetched as the other.

The question i ask is what was there before the big bang? If nothing, then nothing can come of it. If there was something there, then where did that come from?

If energy cannot be created or destroyed, then it has always existed. That’s mind blowing. Trying to imagine ‘day one’ is way outside of our spectrum I think.

Dinnar but I saw a gif the other day that reckons in a couple of billion years time, our universe is gonna collide with Andromeda. Looks like shit will hit the fan when that happens like.

Well for a start there's obviously not nothing between Earth and the moon. Nothing means absolutely nothing. Not even space. Literally nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back