do you believe the universe...

ighty seven

Striker
...just spontaneously burst into existence (Big Bang style, or whatever)?

..or that it was willed into existence?

and if you believe it was willed into existence does that mean you believe in God?

I mean, do whole universes just pop into existence for no reason?

and if you believe it was willed into existence does that mean you believe in God?

it’s our current best working model, so yes I do believe it, and I will continue to do so until something better that has stronger evidence for comes along.

The odds of you being born a greater than our Universe exists

I think that whatever the universe is, it is beyond human comprehension, like trying to imagine a 3D world if you’re a 2D object.

Totally agree.
It also doesn't help that I watched Hannah Fry's mysterious world of maths this afternoon, about infinity.
I find the concept of infinity difficult to comprehend at the best of times.
But then she mentioned the concept of infinity plus one.

The actual size of the numbers is beyond me.
According to Carl Sagan, the quote was something like (it was 40 years ago that I read Cosmos):-
"Imagine the biggest number you can think of, that number is precisely the same distance from infinity as the figure zero"

Agreed, I can't comprehend that there was just nothing before! Unless it's a continuous cycle of compressions and decompression of big bags - wow, I need to stop the booze :lol:
Agree with all of that as well, including the booze bit

Time for bed I think.

A creator, by definition, must be more complex than the things it creates.

People who choose the lazy way out - to believe in a creator (without a shred of evidence) - just make the question even more difficult to answer.

“Where did the creator come from”
“Oh he was always there” - sniff
“Well why bother asking where the universe came from then?”

The Big Bang theory isn't really accurately described as 'the universe just burst into existence'. The singularity already existed, the big bang is the point at time 0 (in our local spacetime, at least) when the singularity began expanding.

Also, it isn't a proper dichotomy to say it must be either spontaneous self-generation or that an intelligent agent willed it. Those aren't the only 2 options - I would also say that neither of them are really plausible. Bu it is a big question at bed time!

The Big Bang theory isn't really accurately described as 'the universe just burst into existence'. The singularity already existed, the big bang is the point at time 0 (in our local spacetime, at least) when the singularity began expanding.

Also, it isn't a proper dichotomy to say it must be either spontaneous self-generation or that an intelligent agent willed it. Those aren't the only 2 options - I would also say that neither of them are really plausible. Bu it is a big question at bed time!
What existed outside of the singularity?

We'll never know (at least not anytime soon)

It's taken 5 decades since man set foot on the moon for any kind of understanding of the life on the sea floor beyond 5000m to be collected.

What took place beyond the edge of the universe 'x' billion years ago is likely to remain a mystery for some time yet

We'll never know (at least not anytime soon)

It's taken 5 decades since man set foot on the moon for any kind of understanding of the life on the sea floor beyond 5000m to be collected.

What took place beyond the edge of the universe 'x' billion years ago is likely to remain a mystery for some time yet
As big a mystery as what takes place at the AOL?

Wouldn’t call meself a deeply religious person but thought about it year’s ago, there must be something spiritual as the science can’t explain it (possibly I’m to thick to understand), if the solar system
‘Exploded’ into life, what’s was there before and what’s on the outside of where it ends? Heard it’s never ending but that makes no sense, not sure what’s harder to get, the universe and all or Safc’s football!!

Back