DLA for son

It's as if they have a default reject setting. I'm sure the majority of claimants making appeals are successful.

I think the refusal rate is high because people don’t fill in the forms correctly stating their needs. Instead they just write a list of diseases and expect to get money. The fact is that the money is for having care needs rather than for diseases.

When these people go for face to face assessments, they can be huffy, refuse to answer questions and simply make it impossible for the assessor to fill the forms in correctly.

Once they have been turned down some will get their act together and behave sensibly at the appeal and get the decision changed. Those who go in shouting the odds don’t.

I have been stopped in the past if the assessor objects, even though the DWP website says you can.

There is no objection to recording the assessment. Behaving in an underhanded way and recording without consent needs to be stopped.

Last edited:
I think the refusal rate is high because people don’t fill in the forms correctly stating their needs. Instead they just write a list of diseases and expect to get money. The fact is that the money is for having care needs rather than for diseases.

Diseases? Seriously?

Took a good 2 months for my kid's claim to be rejected last year - form was filled in impeccably (I had a number of advisors look over it from various organisations) but they rely on people just giving up and for my own mental health at the point we were at I did step back and leave it after we tried for mandatory reconsideration. Should have had very good grounds for low-middle rate with the number of difficulties my little one deals with but I had to prioritise sanity over it all. Now her condition's improved (mainly because other relatives have funded various therapies for her) - so we wouldn't really get much if anything so I just left it.

Took a good couple of weeks from us sending the form off for it even to be opened and added onto the system incidentally - let alone land in a queue for some "decision maker" (naffest job title ever) to start taking a look at it so out of your five weeks - at least 3 of them have probably been spent sat in a post sack in Wolverhampton or wherever it is you send them to at the moment (I just picked Wolverhampton because it sounded suitably grim)

Last edited:
Diseases? Seriously?
He's correct in that a list of what diseases or disabilities on the form isn't enough. You have to explain how it affects your day to day life, what extra steps you have to do to stay safe, clean, well kempt, well fed etc...

When these people go for face to face assessments, they can be huffy, refuse to answer questions and simply make it impossible for the assessor to fill the forms in correctly.

Once they have been turned down some will get their act together and behave sensibly at the appeal and get the decision changed. Those who go in shouting the odds don’t.

There is no objection to recording the assessment. Behaving in an underhanded way and recording without consent needs to be stopped.
I know how it works and many people want to fill a form in honestly when in reality you need to put worst case scenarios. Filled in honestly many people with MS wouldn't get a penny when in fact they have a horrible ever worsening life sentence.

He's correct in that a list of what diseases or disabilities on the form isn't enough. You have to explain how it affects your day to day life, what extra steps you have to do to stay safe, clean, well kempt, well fed etc...

Diseases though? I know how it works but I reckon the majority will be suffering from some sort of disability target than a disease.

You could ask you MP to chase them up, speaking directly to the DWP is like speaking to a brick wall. At least the phone calls are free not like when I applied for PIP. If you succeed the money will be backdated to when you asked for the forms. If the lad's claim is rejected take them to a tribunal it won't cost you anything but the time, tribunals overhaul a lot of rejections. When your lad is assessed take notes of what is asked and said, this could helpful at a tribunal.
MP will blame central government. Believe me.

If you want any info on the appeals process feel free to pm me. I work in the benefits advice business and deal with advice from the Man Recon through to the tribunal and beyond if needs be.

Also if you live in the DCC area and your son has a social worker I can sort you with someone to help with the forms.

If you want any info on the appeals process feel free to pm me. I work in the benefits advice business and deal with advice from the Man Recon through to the tribunal and beyond if needs be.

Also if you live in the DCC area and your son has a social worker I can sort you with someone to help with the forms.
Thank you I really appreciate that. I do live in the DCC area but my son doesn't have a social worker, but we got help from an organisation that helps out people in these situations that isn't Citizens Advice. She seemed to know what she was doing but if mandatory reconsideration gets rejected might end up looking elsewhere for help.

Rubbish

Thank you I really appreciate that. I do live in the DCC area but my son doesn't have a social worker, but we got help from an organisation that helps out people in these situations that isn't Citizens Advice. She seemed to know what she was doing but if mandatory reconsideration gets rejected might end up looking elsewhere for help.
If it’s Durham County Carers Support that are helping you then they’ll be able to send a referral to Welfare Rights if the MR comes back with the same result. Hoy me a pm if you go down that route and I’ll do what I can to make sure you get the assistance you need.

Only if they have a likelihood of passing away in the next 6 months. The form that signifies this is called a DS1500 and it can be obtained from a CNS or GP.
Even with amount of abuse, put downs etc, there is still wonderful and helpful people on this forum. Thanks Lester.

I will be over pension age when my re-assessment for PIP is due and in theory they won't ask me how my degenerate condition have improved. But can you trust the politicians not to do an about tail.

I once got sanctioned for failing to attend a work review, when I was with my wife and carer at her secondment in Dorset and my consultant stopped me from going home as they had got my blood clotting under control.

It took 2 months to remove the sanction and I won the appeal in Edinburgh which was my wife's next secondment. She has now retired but phones me if I am 5 minutes late in arriving home.

I have actual worked 3 times for the DWP and their other names, apart from a wonderful lass in Poole their front line staff are an absolute shower forced to follow targets, which of course don't exist.

Word of warning if you are sent to Newton Aycliffe office, apply for another office if possible, Hell would be better.

Filled out a few of these forms and attended assessment. horrendous form, horrendous assessment and littered with loads of lying assessors from ATOS. Appealing is a pain in the arse also. If you need any help let me know.

So in other words expect the worst when we get it back through.

Might as well get started on the MR now and try and see how long it'll take for an appeal

Back