Discussion - February 2011 SMB Photography Challenge - Rule of Thirds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving house today and find that I'm going to be without Internet access until Feb 2nd.

Therefore, you have an extra day or so to enter January's competition and the added bonus of February starting early.

With apologies to the more experienced photographers and artists in the room, we're going back to basics of composition for the February challenge, and the subject is: Rule of Thirds

Don't forget that the picture must be taken between now and Feb 28th.

Happy shooting

Last edited:

Re: February 2011 SMB Photography Challenge - Rule of Thirds - Discussion thread

hmmmmm

learned this in art and design years ago, good composition and all that.

gonna be interesting to see how folks interpret this one, its fairly ambiguous and can be difficult to get right.

I just googled 'rule of thirds' and looked at images only, there is some real sh1te! - lol

btw hope the house move goes ok AB22

Re: February 2011 SMB Photography Challenge - Rule of Thirds - Discussion thread

its the rule of thirds and rules are meant to be broken :)

Maybe we should take two photos of the same thing and show how the rule of thirds can improve a picture; or when the rule of thirds can be broken.

I envisaged a lot of pictures of trees/fields/horizens being placed on thirds when I saw the theme. Still each theme has always thrown up different takes on the subject.

I was completely unaware of the rule of thirds, so big thank-you's as it's made me look it up and this afternoon the bairn and I spent time practising.

Maybe one day I'll take a photo worth posting on here ;)

I was completely unaware of the rule of thirds, so big thank-you's as it's made me look it up and this afternoon the bairn and I spent time practising.

you should enter titch!

Well get yer entry in man, woman.

interesting to note that a quarter of the month has gone, and no-one has posted an entry! :eek::eek::eek:

is the subject matter hard?, or are folks waiting to see what others enter - lol

everyone is getting a bit competetive - mint!

looks like its just me and thee tiger (or do you prefer AB22?) slugging it out - lol

tricky subject methinks

I'm here! Cooo-eeeee. First sunny day of the month today and I've been at work. Nee idea what to photograph yet.

I'm here anarl. Nee idea for this one. Off fishing up the West coast of Scotland this weekend, so will have one eye on the surroundings.

If I get a chance to take some photos I will.

My only problem is matching the subject :lol: I can take loads of photos, but the chances of getting them right are slim.

I've got an entry I was looking at last night, not sure it really does it though taken Chinese New Years eve. If I cannot get anything I like better in the next few days I'll sling it in I think - I only got 1 vote last month so not really much to live up to.

Right just slung my entry in, a shot taken at night from my apartment window - a 6 second exposure taken without a tripod and converted to black and white in Lightroom. I actually quite like it which is rare for one of my competition entries.

that's mine hoyed in, it's a tougher one than you first think to take a picture for. :lol:

thats mine in too

I'm quite chuffed with mine there are some quite complex divisions and invisible lines within my picture, which I had not fully realised till I looked in more detail.

mind you i like yours baitbox very clever (ya git - lol)

hard subject methinks, it can be interpreted a few ways.

oh well fingers crossed

c&c welcome

There's mine in. Grabbed it on the way home from fishing today. Took me ages to lift them boulders into place. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back