Did the yards work night shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Tyne yards (me dad never worked on the Wear) he reckons it was mainly job a knock on night shift so they would all graft to fuck to finish all the work they had to do within a couple hours, then they'd just get their head down for the rest of the night.
Aye great incentive to get the job done.
The welding gaffers would chalk-up all the jobs on a section that needed to be welded up.
They knew what was feasible to be done in the time frame of the shift, and then it was up to the lads to either go on as per normal or go down the job and knock route -work like fuck, missing breaks/dinner etc then get your head-down.
Everyone was happy.

What sticks in my mind about the yards is the Goverment bending over backwards to get a contract to build a ship for the navy at swan hunters .It took years of negotiation etc and eventually it came to the tyne rather than I think at the time it was the Clyde.After what seemed like years shipbuilding was back at Swan Hunters.

what did the daft bastards working there do more or less straight away,go on f***ing strike.I remember saying to the TV at the time “just shut the kernt down “

Aye great incentive to get the job done.
The welding gaffers would chalk-up all the jobs on a section that needed to be welded up.
They knew what was feasible to be done in the time frame of the shift, and then it was up to the lads to either go on as per normal or go down the job and knock route -work like fuck, missing breaks/dinner etc then get your head-down.
Everyone was happy.

That was the top and bottom of it like..as long as a certain amount got done then no complaints.

When I worked at AMEC on the Tyne between 92-94 they went on strike for the following.
1.Welders from Sunderland starting.
2.Not enough microwave ovens in the bait cabins.
3.Some of the bait cabins were too far from the barges and they wanted mini buses to take them from cabin to barge if it was raining.

These were one day strikes mind not git weeks or owt.

When I worked at AMEC on the Tyne between 92-94 they went on strike for the following.
1.Welders from Sunderland starting.
2.Not enough microwave ovens in the bait cabins.
3.Some of the bait cabins were too far from the barges and they wanted mini buses to take them from cabin to barge if it was raining.

These were one day strikes mind not git weeks or owt.
f***ing disgrace and no wonder they shut .The Workers on the tyne apparently had 1/2 a day when Elvis died,I’m not kidding either.

Every joiner I’ve started or worked with over the years who’s been a shipyard gadgie has came with an attitude Like that .
In more recent times it’s sparkies that have worked offshore,stinking work ethic.

f***ing disgrace and no wonder they shut .The Workers on the tyne apparently had 1/2 a day when Elvis died,I’m not kidding either.

Every joiner I’ve started or worked with over the years who’s been a shipyard gadgie has came with an attitude Like that .
In more recent times it’s sparkies that have worked offshore,stinking work ethic.

The day I started I’d only been there about an hour and they started streaming out the gates..two welders had started from Sunderland..they couldn’t get two with the coding through there so they spread the net..two Sunderland lads passed the test and went through to work..even now I find that fkn despicable trying to deny a man the right to work.

Loads of Sunderlan
The day I started I’d only been there about an hour and they started streaming out the gates..two welders had started from Sunderland..they couldn’t get two with the coding through there so they spread the net..two Sunderland lads passed the test and went through to work..even now I find that fkn despicable trying to deny a man the right to work.
Loads of Sunderland lads working there when i was there, 94,95,96 ish

Loads of Sunderlan

Loads of Sunderland lads working there when i was there, 94,95,96 ish

There was quite a few when this happened (June 1992 time)..it was more pipe fitters than welders and platers.like..a mate of mine a plater got put to work with a bloke through there and when the bloke found out he was from Sunderland he refused to work with him..the bulk of the Tyneside lads were ok but there was a minority of bellends who hated all things Sunderland.

They gave Sky News the Sunday newspaper reviews idea when Sunday overtime was on.
In Biffos by 11:45 for few pints and watch the strippers

There was bother at OGN (was Amec, now Smulders) a few years back over some unwritten rule that if someone died everyone got the day off? Pretty sure it led to a strike.

Nee hiding over there now like. The Belgium's have them riding around on bicycles lol.

There was bother at OGN (was Amec, now Smulders) a few years back over some unwritten rule that if someone died everyone got the day off? Pretty sure it led to a strike.

Nee hiding over there now like. The Belgium's have them riding around on bicycles lol.
I know a lad who worked at OGN a few years back and it is definitely true about the death thing. If someone died over the weekend, they’d find out Monday morning, put £20 each in for the widow, then go on the piss for the day. Didn’t hear anything about a strike about it though.

A pie warmer also caused a scene ay A&P a few years ago. The management wanted rid of them.

Can understand that one mind- don't mess with the lads bait.

Deptford worked n/s as did Pallion and Northsands. I worked a few fittings out at Northsands at the quayside. The fab sheds worked on sections to ready for the beth/slipway. Some great times, warm nights and freezing alike in fact one year in the early 80's ,winter time, I recall the side shell of the ship berthed at Manor Quay froze up as did the river, the only time I have seen ice floes in the Wear. At Deptford they used to send a lad up, on a Friday night, to the Earl Percy where I used to drink , with Billy fans to fill with beer as did the lads who worked at Pyrex on N/S. Grand days and loads of memories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back