Did the yards work night shift?

When I was working at AMEC through the Tyne..it was just before the 1994 World Cup Finals..i went in one morning to find out a lad had been killed during the night on one of the barges..a mooring rope had given way and the recoil killed him..all the workers had gone home by the time I got there..the way I've been taught is if someone dies then you go home..a mark of respect..plus the HSE and an investigation will be going on..our gaffer and manager told us it was up to us if we went home but we wouldn't be getting paid..out of about 20 of us about 15 went home..we came in the next morning to find out we'd been sacked..we went to see the manager and he said we were in violation of our contracts.
Was it not still WILLIAM PRESS then?

They did. My dad said when he did it for the first time everyone couldn't believe he hadn't brought his sleeping bag in. He said until then he had thought the night shift had built all the ships because nowt was done on day shift either.
now that I know is bullshit...dayshift done most of the work placing and erecting the sections. Nightshift done nearly all of the prep work, the work that needed a good run at it without interuption..Sections were also erected on the night shift but more soduring the day.

now that I know is bullshit...dayshift done most of the work placing and erecting the sections. Nightshift done nearly all of the prep work, the work that needed a good run at it without interuption..Sections were also erected on the night shift but more soduring the day.
My dad was a plumber and said he spent most of his time doing fuck all. Call him a bullshitter if you want but unfortunately I can't get him to confirm this. He said he did around 2 hours work on night shift and couldn't believe it when I told him I couldn't get my head down at Nissan.

My dad was a plumber and said he spent most of his time doing fuck all. Call him a bullshitter if you want but unfortunately I can't get him to confirm this. He said he did around 2 hours work on night shift and couldn't believe it when I told him I couldn't get my head down at Nissan.
Most of the lads who did work permie nights grafted like feck for a good four hours(I'd say more so than days shift) because you had no one holding you up... Yes, there were some fecking idlers as you get in all walks of life but in the main ,all of the work tasked was completed.

Most of the lads who did work permie nights grafted like feck for a good four hours(I'd say more so than days shift) because you had no one holding you up... Yes, there were some fecking idlers as you get in all walks of life but in the main ,all of the work tasked was completed.
A good 4 hours? Fuck me that's like one of the shifts my lass does :lol:.

A good 4 hours? Fuck me that's like one of the shifts my lass does :lol:.
I've seen smogmonsters (welders bashing away) melting stick like nee tomorrow for hours on end to get jobs finished...I've also seen one or two melt away themselves without doing a thing..they didn't last on N/S. Not that I was on Permie N/S, just lumpers...get the job done then your away.

I've seen smogmonsters (welders bashing away) melting stick like nee tomorrow for hours on end to get jobs finished...I've also seen one or two melt away themselves without doing a thing..they didn't last on N/S. Not that I was on Permie N/S, just lumpers...get the job done then your away.
I'm not knocking the lads. I'm knocking the system.

Then wonder why it couldn’t sustain it. Oh aye thatcher.
Not being able to further subsidise it due to European law. However, Germany continued to subsidise the car industry. And a little matter of new technology and low wages in Asia and Turkey enabling them to knock out superb ships at a fraction of the price in a fraction of the time.

No one's mentioned up to now when the hoard of sweatys came down from Govan to "help" out on the ferry contract.
There was an early shift, a day shift and a back shift. All without an increase in equipment so you had lads standing around waiting for gear. Iirc it took the cleaners a while to get shot of the empties at the start and end of every shift.

Not being able to further subsidise it due to European law. However, Germany continued to subsidise the car industry. And a little matter of new technology and low wages in Asia and Turkey enabling them to knock out superb ships at a fraction of the price in a fraction of the time.
Everything that was available to us. Including the German car industry.

Explain? The productivity was the best in the world rolling out SD14/18's
If you're sure I will bow to your superior knowledge. I'm no expert on the subject and just going off what I'd been told. Like I'd said before I'm not knocking the workers who were probably as good as any in the world. I can help but think if they had better working practices and working full shifts it might have survived, but then again maybe we were always going to be sacrificed being an easy target.

My dad worked there, said they'd work flat out for 4 hours and then get some kip, and they still did more than the day shift.

Back