Did the mags screw Gateshead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's often claimed, but I've never seen it listed which clubs voted for who. In any case, one vote would have made little or no difference.

Team Votes
Oldham Athletic 39 Re-elected to League
Peterborough United 35 Elected to League
Hartlepools United 34 Re-elected to League
Southport 29 Re-elected to League
Gateshead 18 Not re-elected
Headington United 10
Chelmsford City 3
Bedford Town 2
Cambridge City 2
Guildford City 2
New Brighton 2
Romford 2
Scarborough 2
Worcester City 2
Ellesmere Port Town 1
Kettering Town 1
Morecambe 1
South Shields 1

Yeovil Town, Hereford United and King's Lynn failed to gain any votes

Peterborough were always going to get voted in due to their performances in the FA Cup. It was just a case of who was going to make way. Generally, clubs disliked the long trip north for what was generally a poorly attended game, and it's also claimed that the league disapproved of the running track around the ground.

Agree with most of that. The actual clubs who voted for who, was never published and from memory, the situation re Newcastle's votes arose through the local press in the days afterwards. First Division clubs had 4 votes, Second Division clubs 2 and 3rd and 4th division only 1 each as they were associate members only and not full league members (hence the Full and Associate members cups!!).

Newcastle therefore had 4 votes but as you say it would have made no difference that season. The remarkable thing is that Hartlepool survived comfortably. They had applied for re-election numerous times and were so used to it they used to wine and dine other clubs chairman and send out gifts every year to curry favour and get back in. This was Gatesheads first ever time and they had finished 2 places and 6 points higher than bottom placed Hartlepool.

There was an unwritten agreement in the north east that the clubs would always vote for each other and the rumours that Newcastle abandoned this the first time Gateshead were up for election when they had previously backed Hartlepool and Darlington, left a bitter taste south of the Tyne. There was a dilemna on this occasion with two NE clubs in the mix, but Newcastle had been known to make comment re Gateshead effectively taking support which would in other circumstances go across the river.

I suspect Newcastle's votes went to the Monkey Hangers and so do many other Heed fans I know, but we will probably never know for certain. One thing I do know is that Sunderland gained a fair few fans in Gateshead at that point, many of whom are still around today.

The bit in the previous post about not liking a gift from Gateshead is rubbish.

Last edited:

There was an unwritten agreement in the north east that the clubs would always vote for each other and the rumours that Newcastle abandoned this the first time Gateshead were up for election when they had previously backed Hartlepool and Darlington, left a bitter taste south of the Tyne. There was a dilemna on this occasion with two NE clubs in the mix, but Newcastle had been known to make comment re Gateshead effectively taking support which would in other circumstances go across the river.

I suspect Newcastle's votes went to the Monkey Hangers and so do many other Heed fans I know, but we will probably never know for certain. One thing I do know is that Sunderland gained a fair few fans in Gateshead at that point, many of whom are still around today.

Very true and the other factor is the fact that until they started to fanny about with county names and boundaries both Sunderland and Gateshead were part of County Durham.

It's often claimed, but I've never seen it listed which clubs voted for who. In any case, one vote would have made little or no difference.

Team Votes
Oldham Athletic 39 Re-elected to League
Peterborough United 35 Elected to League
Hartlepools United 34 Re-elected to League
Southport 29 Re-elected to League
Gateshead 18 Not re-elected
Headington United 10
Chelmsford City 3
Bedford Town 2
Cambridge City 2
Guildford City 2
New Brighton 2
Romford 2
Scarborough 2
Worcester City 2
Ellesmere Port Town 1
Kettering Town 1
Morecambe 1
South Shields 1

Yeovil Town, Hereford United and King's Lynn failed to gain any votes

Peterborough were always going to get voted in due to their performances in the FA Cup. It was just a case of who was going to make way. Generally, clubs disliked the long trip north for what was generally a poorly attended game, and it's also claimed that the league disapproved of the running track around the ground.

lets not let facts get in the way of an opportunity to hate the mags :mad:

Agree with most of that. The actual clubs who voted for who, was never published and from memory, the situation re Newcastle's votes arose through the local press in the days afterwards. First Division clubs had 4 votes, Second Division clubs 2 and 3rd and 4th division only 1 each as they were associate members only and not full league members (hence the Full and Associate members cups!!).

Newcastle therefore had 4 votes but as you say it would have made no difference that season. The remarkable thing is that Hartlepool survived comfortably. They had applied for re-election numerous times and were so used to it they used to wine and dine other clubs chairman and send out gifts every year to curry favour and get back in. This was Gatesheads first ever time and they had finished 2 places and 6 points higher than bottom placed Hartlepool.

The bit in the previous post about not liking a gift from Gateshead is rubbish.

At least some justice was done then.

NewcastleGateshead have always screwed Gateshead. They've co-opted their name, The Sage, the Millenium Bridge and the Angel most recently. NewcastleGateshead tourist board ran city tours including the 'iconic' carpark from which Jack Carter hoyed Alf Roberts.

NewcastleGateshead would be nothing without Gateshead.

:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back