Did the mags screw Gateshead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just read this comment on the Echo's website:

sdg - re your post at 3 Any dyed-in-the-wool Heed fan would tell you that the Toon set out to snaffle support from Gateshead as long ago as 1960 when they effectively voted Gateshead FC out of the Football League . In the old days of re-election Gateshead were up against Peterborough and went out of the League because they received one vote less than Posh. Guess who the Toon cast their vote for

Is this true? And if it is why is Gateshead today a hotbed of black and whiteness surely they should hate the mags?

The situation in division four used to be that the bottom four clubs had to apply for re-election to the Football League. This was decided by the 'full members' (teams from division one and two). In order to obtain votes the clubs applying for re-election used to send gifts to the chairman/directors of clubs that held their fate in their hands. Obviously the Newcastle board were not well pleased with their gift as they did not vote for Gateshead to stay in the league.

they could have franchised 15000 of the 80000 waiting list to the International stadium and used them as a feeder club

Doesn't matter anyhow now that Gateshead has become nothing but a suburb of Newcastle.

The situation in division four used to be that the bottom four clubs had to apply for re-election to the Football League. This was decided by the 'full members' (teams from division one and two). In order to obtain votes the clubs applying for re-election used to send gifts to the chairman/directors of clubs that held their fate in their hands. Obviously the Newcastle board were not well pleased with their gift as they did not vote for Gateshead to stay in the league.

Cheers - if I was a mag I'd be embarassed by that regardless of how crap the gift was. So much for the wider North East community...heartless bastards.

It's often claimed, but I've never seen it listed which clubs voted for who. In any case, one vote would have made little or no difference.

Team Votes
Oldham Athletic 39 Re-elected to League
Peterborough United 35 Elected to League
Hartlepools United 34 Re-elected to League
Southport 29 Re-elected to League
Gateshead 18 Not re-elected
Headington United 10
Chelmsford City 3
Bedford Town 2
Cambridge City 2
Guildford City 2
New Brighton 2
Romford 2
Scarborough 2
Worcester City 2
Ellesmere Port Town 1
Kettering Town 1
Morecambe 1
South Shields 1

Yeovil Town, Hereford United and King's Lynn failed to gain any votes

Peterborough were always going to get voted in due to their performances in the FA Cup. It was just a case of who was going to make way. Generally, clubs disliked the long trip north for what was generally a poorly attended game, and it's also claimed that the league disapproved of the running track around the ground.

The year Gateshead were up for re-election so were Hartlepool, Oldham and Southport. It was the done thing to vote for your neighbours and Hartlepool also owed Newcastle what was then a rather substantial sum of money which they wouldn't get had they voted them out. Unsurprisingly Newcastle voted for Hartlepool.

Had Newcastle voted for Gateshead it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference as they'd still have been relegated as they received much fewer votes than anyone else. I've been to a few games and never met a Heed fan who is upset at Newcastle because we apparently "screwed" them.

It's often claimed, but I've never seen it listed which clubs voted for who. In any case, one vote would have made little or no difference.

Team Votes
Oldham Athletic 39 Re-elected to League
Peterborough United 35 Elected to League
Hartlepools United 34 Re-elected to League
Southport 29 Re-elected to League
Gateshead 18 Not re-elected
Headington United 10
Chelmsford City 3
Bedford Town 2
Cambridge City 2
Guildford City 2
New Brighton 2
Romford 2
Scarborough 2
Worcester City 2
Ellesmere Port Town 1
Kettering Town 1
Morecambe 1
South Shields 1

Yeovil Town, Hereford United and King's Lynn failed to gain any votes

Peterborough were always going to get voted in due to their performances in the FA Cup. It was just a case of who was going to make way. Generally, clubs disliked the long trip north for what was generally a poorly attended game, and it's also claimed that the league disapproved of the running track around the ground.

maybe so still not very loyal to your fellow geordies though, wonder how widely known it is by the younger generations in G'Head. Maybe we should start an educational history campaign to get some of them to come over to the light :)

The year Gateshead were up for re-election so were Hartlepool, Oldham and Southport. It was the done thing to vote for your neighbours and Hartlepool also owed Newcastle what was then a rather substantial sum of money which they wouldn't get had they voted them out. Unsurprisingly Newcastle voted for Hartlepool.

Had Newcastle voted for Gateshead it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference as they'd still have been relegated as they received much fewer votes than anyone else. I've been to a few games and never met a Heed fan who is upset at Newcastle because we apparently "screwed" them.

how neighbourly of you ;)

Cheers - if I was a mag I'd be embarassed by that regardless of how crap the gift was. So much for the wider North East community...heartless bastards.

always f***ing the NE off are the mags, just look back through history.

NewcastleGateshead have always screwed Gateshead. They've co-opted their name, The Sage, the Millenium Bridge and the Angel most recently. NewcastleGateshead tourist board ran city tours including the 'iconic' carpark from which Jack Carter hoyed Alf Roberts.

NewcastleGateshead would be nothing without Gateshead.

NewcastleGateshead have always screwed Gateshead. They've co-opted their name, The Sage, the Millenium Bridge and the Angel most recently. NewcastleGateshead tourist board ran city tours including the 'iconic' carpark from which Jack Carter hoyed Alf Roberts.

NewcastleGateshead would be nothing without Gateshead.

and The Hilton, The Metrocentre and going back, The Boat :lol:

Gatesheed rules :cool:

Despite the past of the clubs as mentioned, Geordies still claim that every good thing in Gateshead is actually a good thing about Newcastle, tossers

An earlier attempt:
wiki said:
Under Edward VI, John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, sponsored an act allowing Newcastle to annex Gateshead as its suburb. The main reason for this was to allow the Newcastle Hostmen, who controlled the export of Tyne coal, to get their hands on the Gateshead coal mines, previously controlled by the Bishop of Durham. However, when Mary I came to power, Dudley met his downfall and the decision was reversed.

He who is without sin & all that tosh.

Look no further than Sunderland Albion. Know our own history before digging at others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back