Did anyone else think peaky blinders was rubbish?

I thought it was good.

Went downhill after a few seasons but then so do most TV series that get past 2 or 3.

For reference see the likes of Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Peep Show…

I thought it was good.

Went downhill after a few seasons but then so do most TV series that get past 2 or 3.

Agree with you except perp show which peaks I reckon series 4-6. The latter ones aren’t so good but it’s still imho one of the best sitcoms ever made
It was nee Boardwalk Empire.

Boardwalk empire is class . Very underrated. Buscemi is the man but it’s a standout cast

Agree with this, thought it was good, excellent first series second and third not as good but still watchable, even thought Tom Hardy's turn in it was good.
Scene stealer for me. Thought he was great. Enjoyed the show if you suspended disbelief (yes, agreed, a lot of the plot development was nonsense). Also agree about it starting poorly - we watched an episode or two and didn’t get into it. Tried again a year or two later and stuck with it.

I thought it was good.

I was talking to our lass about this, it winds me up. It seems that so many good ideas for shows completely lose sight of what made them good after roughly 3 seasons.

One exception being Always Sunny in Philadelphia which retained it’s standards for years.

Watched the whole lot. Got a bit pissed off with the portrayal of Darby Sabini, who still has a good name in the Italian community in London.
Also the character who played the Italian mob boss was poor as well.
Series one and 2 OK, by series 3 it just went into daftness

First couple of series were just okay, then went downhill rapidly.

I can remember reading the reviews beforehand and most were very positive, one person said it was better than Breaking Bad. God there are some idiots in the world.

I was talking to our lass about this, it winds me up. It seems that so many good ideas for shows completely lose sight of what made them good after roughly 3 seasons.

One exception being Always Sunny in Philadelphia which retained it’s standards for years.

DeVito was a great addition to Always Sunny, carried it forward.
First couple of series were just okay, then went downhill rapidly.

I can remember reading the reviews beforehand and most were very positive, one person said it was better than Breaking Bad. God there are some idiots in the world.

Probably controversial but I still can’t get through Breaking Bad. Starts off really slow, then gets good, then descends into a point I’m just watching for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Agree with you except perp show which peaks I reckon series 4-6. The latter ones aren’t so good but it’s still imho one of the best sitcoms ever made

Boardwalk empire is class . Very underrated. Buscemi is the man but it’s a standout cast
I mean it was basically a complete rip of Boardwalk but without the prohibition. Boardwalk was much better IMO

I thought the producers had simply decided to cash in on the populality of Boardwalk Empire. They thereofore invented a ridiculous fiction of criminality in the UK based on what was happening in the USA at the time as a result of Prohibition. It glamourised the real "Peaky Blinders" who were an Edwardian gang & little more than a bunch of violent spivs.

Unfortunately painting such a nonsensical picture helps to create a false image of how awful the economic and social conditions actually were for the great majority of people in the UK after WWI and how those people struggled with those conditions without turning to crime.

Back