Derek Pringle and Simon Hughes

A Lot Of Hard Yakka? Or has he got a new one out?
No that one. I’ve wanted it for years but it dropped to my price range

sadly the book people have went out of business so getting Wisdens for a tenner appears gone.

im waiting for the new bob Willis book to drop a bit. I got the Pringle one through amazon prime day so that was in my price range.

still at university when pringle made his debut for England. Dont think that will happen again in the current era

No that one. I’ve wanted it for years but it dropped to my price range

sadly the book people have went out of business so getting Wisdens for a tenner appears gone.

im waiting for the new bob Willis book to drop a bit. I got the Pringle one through amazon prime day so that was in my price range.

still at university when pringle made his debut for England. Dont think that will happen again in the current era

The Pringle one is decent, lots of drinking stories.

Read it last summer alongside Paul Ferris’ ‘Boy on the Shed’ (Ed Mag physio). I know I’m drifting to football and NUFC here but it’s in the top three sports books I’ve ever read I reckon. Look out for it.

Just finished 'Original Spin' - the autobiography of Vic Marks which is a good read with plenty on the making and the decline of the legendary Somerset team of the late 70s/early 80s.

On the strength of some of the anecdotes in the book I have since purchased 'Chasing Shadows -The Life And Death Of Peter Roebuck' which I imagine will be a rather more challenging read.

If you enjoy a lot of hard Yakka then Aggers book 8 days a week the diary of a county cricketer is a good read. All done and dusted before he became more better known as a broadcaster.
Like a lot of people never particularly liked Pringle but his book is a decent read.

Pringle was the worst player I ever saw at Test level. Peter May was Chairman of Selectors at the time and was going to select Pringle the game before but didn't The reason being that it was the Varsity match and Pringle had to play for Cam bridge other wise he would not gained his "Blue" - bloody disgraceful. Ignoring for a second he was crap there is no way that England should be second choice. If Pringle had come from Bradford or Easington he would never have been picked for England.

Just finished 'Original Spin' - the autobiography of Vic Marks which is a good read with plenty on the making and the decline of the legendary Somerset team of the late 70s/early 80s.

On the strength of some of the anecdotes in the book I have since purchased 'Chasing Shadows -The Life And Death Of Peter Roebuck' which I imagine will be a rather more challenging read.
That’s on my target list. I’m not sure if I want to go down the roebuck one though

Not a fan of Simon Hughes

very much the Alan partridge of cricket

you see when he introduced Sean Abbott on commentary in the big bash, was outrage over there

i really like him on commentary

I've just ordered the Pringle & Vic Mark's books on thanks to this thread. I haven't read a cricket book in ages but as it could be a tough winter given current circumstances it might be wise to get back to some proper reading. My son bought me the Ben Stokes book as well which I'm hoping to start reading shortly.

Just want to say goodbye folks. A poster has hit me with a slur I simply can’t accept. I reported it but the mod said I was to blame

i can’t find that acceptable so that’s me finished for a while.

stay safe all and good luck

Just want to say goodbye folks. A poster has hit me with a slur I simply can’t accept. I reported it but the mod said I was to blame

i can’t find that acceptable so that’s me finished for a while.

stay safe all and good luck
Come back soon mate, you make good contributions across a huge range of sports threads.

Finished both of these and I thoroughly enjoyed both and now realise that Pringle is not really a posh boy who got lucky.

I found him very amusing and enlightening.

hughes was an excellent read as well but the cheeky scamp lifted direct from his book into this months cricketer magazine Editors note page.

I noticed Simon if you read this, copy and paste job. Must do better

I’ve moved onto another favourite subject of mine, criminal psychology for my next book by Kerry Daynes.

Back