Deptford Bank…

problem was that the last lad didn't care for real ale or know how to keep it. he had white rat on usually but it was completely hitty missy whether it was in decent condition. was cloudy as hell and going off half the time. thats the nature of having a real ale bar that barely sells enough beer before the barrel goes off

i completely agree with you regarding the new selections, but i've never been a massive fan of the real ale choice in the Isis either. big difference is is that the new lads know how to keep real ale, how to serve it, how it should taste etc.. and know when to take it off when its on the turn. but they sell enough of it to do that. i just don't think the selection has ever been great (for me).. too many boring amber ales and weird and wonderful beers.

however, the Jarl that is on in the kings at the moment is as good as any real ale you could hope to get. i like white rat, dizzy blonde, durham magus.. those types of session beers, great tasting, light, clear, easy to drink. hopefully the people running the kings will realise if they are focused on real ale, not craft ale, then the beers like white rat and jarl will attract people in. and landlord and theakstons bitter will turn some people off
Jarl a cracking pint

problem was that the last lad didn't care for real ale or know how to keep it. he had white rat on usually but it was completely hitty missy whether it was in decent condition. was cloudy as hell and going off half the time. thats the nature of having a real ale bar that barely sells enough beer before the barrel goes off

i completely agree with you regarding the new selections, but i've never been a massive fan of the real ale choice in the Isis either. big difference is is that the new lads know how to keep real ale, how to serve it, how it should taste etc.. and know when to take it off when its on the turn. but they sell enough of it to do that. i just don't think the selection has ever been great (for me).. too many boring amber ales and weird and wonderful beers.

however, the Jarl that is on in the kings at the moment is as good as any real ale you could hope to get. i like white rat, dizzy blonde, durham magus.. those types of session beers, great tasting, light, clear, easy to drink. hopefully the people running the kings will realise if they are focused on real ale, not craft ale, then the beers like white rat and jarl will attract people in. and landlord and theakstons bitter will turn some people off

Isis cask offering is very rarely anything but very good IMO. Superb in fact for a stout lover. Gets some superb breweries and their offerings in.

Jarl is nice but there's plenty better IMO. Suppose its particularly good if you want relatively low abvs that fly down and are still tasty enough.

Also, I think keg and cask is what people really understand better.

Last edited:
Kings Arms nearly always had White Rat on previously. Why take it off for chain pub, big brewery shite? Appreciate it's early doors, but I expected something more interesting from this takeover.

They're getting it back, it takes time to get things set up. The are required through a former agreement to carry one of the "big brewery shite" beers.
Don't know how these things work but even under new ownership could they still be tied into some deal the previous owners had?
Don't be coming on here talking sense
Front bar of the Salty is comfy and warm the DM looking after it knows exactly what she is doing and will make the right choices I'm sure. Still a lot of work to be done and this will be handled on an ongoing basis without causing any discomfort for the customers

Last edited:

Back