Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I was on the mend too then about 2 month back slipped a disc in my back. Little did I know it was spinal cancer that slipped the disc and left me paralysed from the legs down. Because I'm paralysed they won't give me chemo as it can make you really poorly and in more pain. So there's nothing more they can do for me.
Getting transferred to St. Claire's Hospice in Jarra tomorrow for pain control before they find me somewhere to see out my days. I've accepted my fate but I'm just hoping to have one last Christmas with me kids and family. ;):?:
Surely god isn't that big of a kernt to have my kids and mother bury me.
Good luck to you mate. Low point in my chemo Cycle at the minute so can totally empathise although my odds are better the 50/50/ NO Point in wallowing as you say. Hope they find some good stuff for the pain.

Good luck to you mate. Low point in my chemo Cycle at the minute so can totally empathise although my odds are better the 50/50/ NO Point in wallowing as you say. Hope they find some good stuff for the pain.

Good luck mate I'm just happy for you that you can get chemo. Every little helps as they say and the more positive news the better for you :cool:

I thought I was on the mend too then about 2 month back slipped a disc in my back. Little did I know it was spinal cancer that slipped the disc and left me paralysed from the legs down. Because I'm paralysed they won't give me chemo as it can make you really poorly and in more pain. So there's nothing more they can do for me.
Getting transferred to St. Claire's Hospice in Jarra tomorrow for pain control before they find me somewhere to see out my days. I've accepted my fate but I'm just hoping to have one last Christmas with me kids and family. ;):?:

Sorry to hear this marra but your attitude towards this is phenomenal. We've lost too many lads on this here SMB already so I hope your time is à long way from up. Either way you might have a knacked back but obviously have balls of steel. Good luck lad. I hope the banter on here has kept you smiling during the tough times.

Terrible news FA. I like a good Shields v Seaburn argument, much better than Coronation St or Glee etc. All the best fella

With regard to the OP, is it worth discussing a light box/light therapy with your GP? Largely suggesting it because you've posted as the nights get shorter and it gets generally darker, suggesting there could be a seasonal element to things.
People think it sounds nuts, but the reality is that in the North East there is a massively high impact of the relative lack of sunshine in the year. Normally people store up the over the summer, but with relatively little sunshine and dark winters it often isn't as much as you should have.

Your body needs the vitamin D produced as a result of exposure to sunlight. The effects on melatonin and your sleep cycle has a massive impact on mood too. Some people laugh, thinking it's about happy bright days, but it's chemical and for many these light boxes make a difference. I suppose the OP said it isn't always cyclical to the Autumn, but maybe some years more Vitamin D is stored up than others. It may not be the only or main factor, but it can be important.

People think it sounds nuts, but the reality is that in the North East there is a massively high impact of the relative lack of sunshine in the year. Normally people store up the over the summer, but with relatively little sunshine and dark winters it often isn't as much as you should have.

Your body needs the vitamin D produced as a result of exposure to sunlight. The effects on melatonin and your sleep cycle has a massive impact on mood too. Some people laugh, thinking it's about happy bright days, but it's chemical and for many these light boxes make a difference. I suppose the OP said it isn't always cyclical to the Autumn, but maybe some years more Vitamin D is stored up than others. It may not be the only or main factor, but it can be important.

In a similar vein, my Dad aways reckoned the production output of the pit would shoot up after a Sunderland win. If the team were doing well, then the tonnage shot up.

And this is blokes working underground all day, well away from the effects of sunlight.

In a similar vein, my Dad aways reckoned the production output of the pit would shoot up after a Sunderland win. If the team were doing well, then the tonnage shot up.

And this is blokes working underground all day, well away from the effects of sunlight.
The mind is a powerful thing.

There's no way I could put up with the north east climate like, as soon as I'd experienced warm sunny weather most of the year there was no going back for me. I problies have that S.A.D. And when I come home to visit I'm acutely aware of how generally miserable and mingey so many of the people are. Look at how often the 'things that piss you off' threads pop up on here, and how many people respond. English people as a general rule love to complain but rarely do out about it.

I've been wanting to see my GP about it, but I'd feel like a f***ing dick telling him I've been miserable for x amount of time, can you give me pills to make me feel better?

I can't tell if I'm depressed or I'm just a really miserable, cynical, bitter and twisted arsehole.

for fucks sake. Talk about putting my petty shit into perspective. I hope you have a brilliant, amazing christmas. Best of British to you and yours.

I've been wanting to see my GP about it, but I'd feel like a f***ing dick telling him I've been miserable for x amount of time, can you give me pills to make me feel better?

I can't tell if I'm depressed or I'm just a really miserable, cynical, bitter and twisted arsehole.
Don't worry marra, it's probably the latter[DOUBLEPOST=1384239995][/DOUBLEPOST]
Macmillan are trying to organise a day out for me at a home match (saying as row 28 is a tad high for a raspberry like me nowadays :lol:) so if they do you can all raise one at that game ;)
The thought of Bardo smiling over my wheelchair shoulder is enough to bring a tear to any mans jap's eye :)

Glad to see you're maintaining the homo-erotic fantasies to the end ;).

Good luck marra, hope you get to see (at least) one more win before heading to the SoL in the sky

Last edited:
For me it was a case of tackling the problems that led to my depression, which I was diagnosed with in 2008. Sounds obvious I guess, but I went to my GP, had therapy and was on Fluoxetine for the year and sorted my shit out.

It was all about cause and effect for me. I had terrible OCD and one of my obsessions was exercise. I dropped around 5 stone over a few years (went down to 8 stone eventually, and I'm just shy of 6') and was borderline anorexic. I managed to sort this out, left my job which was also having a major effect and for the last few years I've been much, much better.

f***ing hell mate Ive nothing but admiration for you[DOUBLEPOST=1384241248][/DOUBLEPOST]

and you mate - all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back