Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is like a light switching on. I've suffered with stuff I can identify on this thread, but I've never been to go to the gp about it. I'm not really suffering with depression, more anxiety, which I can control 90% of the time. When it gets out of control, it's f***ing horrific.

This thread is like a light switching on. I've suffered with stuff I can identify on this thread, but I've never been to go to the gp about it. I'm not really suffering with depression, more anxiety, which I can control 90% of the time. When it gets out of control, it's f***ing horrific.
Try both at once matey. That flappy butterflies like feeling is crippling. OP sorry i cant be more help this morning as im struggling like fuck meself again.

Know this is a pretty frequently discussed topic on here and a lot of good advice is given so here goes.

Been suffering from depression for years and I'm currently going through one of those stages where I'm just constantly feeling shit no matter what I do and am really struggling to get up in the morning to go to work and can barely go an hour without having a suicidal thought, took an overdose of pills last year but that didn't work and in all honesty I feel like I did around that time, but don't really have the bottle to try owt like that again. Know fine well that I don't help myself in some aspects but just want to get to the point where I can live a relatively normal life.

I'm not especially close to my family and whilst I do love them I can't really bring myself to confide in them, been fucked about and fobbed off at every opportunity by the doctors whenever I go to see them about it, I do know that I can always tell my best friend but I don't want to bother them again with this shit, especially after a little drunken heart-to-heart we had last night, so just thought I'd give this a go.
[DOUBLEPOST=1384178967][/DOUBLEPOST]Your not alone believe me.I know it is a cliché but take one day at a time.Things are never as bad as they sometimes feel.Write down all the plus points in your life and look at it everyday while you have these thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you researched any self-help measures? There's a hell of a lot on the internet that is worth trying. Nothing clears this stuff up immediately, but if you can take the edge off that 10% then you might be able to break the cycle.

Obviously this isn't a substitute for a GPs appointment. ;)

With regard to the OP, is it worth discussing a light box/light therapy with your GP? Largely suggesting it because you've posted as the nights get shorter and it gets generally darker, suggesting there could be a seasonal element to things.

With regard to the OP, is it worth discussing a light box/light therapy with your GP? Largely suggesting it because you've posted as the nights get shorter and it gets generally darker, suggesting there could be a seasonal element to things.

SAD syndrome?

Chin up maravilla....and for fucks sake remember not to watch duran v hearns...it wont exactly cheer you up;)...put duran v leonard 1 on instead.

Go back to your GP, marra, and get him to change your medication. My wife suffers from depression as well, and over the years we have discovered that some meds work better than others. All the best, marra.

when I was on meds the GP prescribed Prozac, which is supposed to give you a lift, problem was I was as high as a kite and very volatile. this made me worse, I could have killed at the time, the anger was so intense.

I have a friend who is a Doctor and called to see him at his home. he obviously couldn't intervene but suggested I immediately stop taking Prozac and get back to my GP and point out the error.

My GP then prescribed Citalopran, took 3 weeks or so but found that they worked for me. After I retired I stopped taking them, and only then realised how good they were.

been retired now for 4 yrs and never been better. living alone wasn't helping, but and 8 week old Labrador called Ben was a lifesaver. someone to look after.;)

when I was on meds the GP prescribed Prozac, which is supposed to give you a lift, problem was I was as high as a kite and very volatile. this made me worse, I could have killed at the time, the anger was so intense.

I have a friend who is a Doctor and called to see him at his home. he obviously couldn't intervene but suggested I immediately stop taking Prozac and get back to my GP and point out the error.

My GP then prescribed Citalopran, took 3 weeks or so but found that they worked for me. After I retired I stopped taking them, and only then realised how good they were.

been retired now for 4 yrs and never been better. living alone wasn't helping, but and 8 week old Labrador called Ben was a lifesaver. someone to look after.;)

It's strange how the meds affect people differently, the ones my wife 's on now are really good (venlafaxine), the downside of them is really bad withdrawal symptoms. Some of the pills she's been on in the past have been horrific!
Glad you're doing well, marra, take care.

So you exercise much mate? If you don't then I'd start, you'd be amazed at how much it helps.

THIS.

get your self a kettle bell & do some long walks (ok you don't have to do 80 mile a week like me :eek:) plenty of xmas albums coming out that you can listen to when out on walk. when you exercise your body release's endorphins and you feel GOOD. but don't get addicted to endorphins like I did, ended up doing 30 hours exercise a week.

don't do exercise as much but the walking I love as

a ) get fit
b ) listen to music/ dab / footy
c ) get away from xbox/ipad/smb :evil:/net
d ) feel good
e ) fly tip :p (fish bag for foxes) other post
f ) download ALL me dodgy stuff while walking

etc etc

Have you researched any self-help measures? There's a hell of a lot on the internet that is worth trying. Nothing clears this stuff up immediately, but if you can take the edge off that 10% then you might be able to break the cycle.

Obviously this isn't a substitute for a GPs appointment. ;)
Aye, the self help stuff is decent, and I can keep it in check 90% or so of the time. Christmas time is usually when it gets worse, worries about job security, money etc etc then it spirals out of control. It helps by knowing what kind of worrier/anxiety you have. I overthink things, and have a tendency for 'catastrophic thinking'. Good combo for a sunlun fan ;)

Meditation and St. John's Wort helped me out during my 'black dog' episode.

It was frustrating that I knew what my problems were and I had radical solutions for them, but it's really difficult to act on the solutions and not appear to be a selfish hippie kn0b.

Been reading about that, to be honest mate when I look back on the times where I 'faze out', there doesn't appear to be any specific time of year where I'm more likely to do so than another.

Will be taking the dog for a slightly longer walk than I normally would on a work night tonight, a very small step but it's a start

Been reading about that, to be honest mate when I look back on the times where I 'faze out', there doesn't appear to be any specific time of year where I'm more likely to do so than another.

Will be taking the dog for a slightly longer walk than I normally would on a work night tonight, a very small step but it's a start

Small steps are fine, just keep on taking 'em! ;)

Know this is a pretty frequently discussed topic on here and a lot of good advice is given so here goes.

Been suffering from depression for years and I'm currently going through one of those stages where I'm just constantly feeling shit no matter what I do and am really struggling to get up in the morning to go to work and can barely go an hour without having a suicidal thought, took an overdose of pills last year but that didn't work and in all honesty I feel like I did around that time, but don't really have the bottle to try owt like that again. Know fine well that I don't help myself in some aspects but just want to get to the point where I can live a relatively normal life.

I'm not especially close to my family and whilst I do love them I can't really bring myself to confide in them, been fucked about and fobbed off at every opportunity by the doctors whenever I go to see them about it, I do know that I can always tell my best friend but I don't want to bother them again with this shit, especially after a little drunken heart-to-heart we had last night, so just thought I'd give this a go.
its a shitter mate, I have known family go through it and would say that it would have effected most people on this board.

all the best mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back