Deltics

Any one know if there are plans to get the Mallard operational? That has to be one of the most iconic steam trains along with the Flying Scotsman. I’d love to see the pair of them pulling into a station side by side.

It would cost way too much money. She needs a new firebox and a new boiler amongst other parts both of which are expensive. To run on mainlines, she needs fitting with a train protection and warning system and and OTMR recorder. Again these are expensive too.

She's the flagship exhibit at York as people like to go and see the Mallard. There's a worry numbers would drop off if people don't see an iconic train while they are there and therefore a drop in income from visitors.

Used to love the Deltics as a kid. My dad was a railway man so we got free rail travel and did quite a few trips in the late 70's / early 80's . The sound of the Deltics is quite unique....2 X 2 stroke diesel engines with all the burning oil and blue haze. The Inter City 125's were really boring in comparison .

It would cost way too much money. She needs a new firebox and a new boiler amongst other parts both of which are expensive. To run on mainlines, she needs fitting with a train protection and warning system and and OTMR recorder. Again these are expensive too.

She's the flagship exhibit at York as people like to go and see the Mallard. There's a worry numbers would drop off if people don't see an iconic train while they are there and therefore a drop in income from visitors.
Seen it in Selby in I think 1984 or 5 , last time I ever seen her in steam. Union of South Africa will soon be a static exhibit as well as her owner is taking her off the mainline and heritage railway circuit after the current boiler ticket expires , which I think is next year.

Partial to a big logo class 50 meself like. Didn’t get many up here though
Logon or register to see this image
Only ever saw them at Donny after overhaul and a couple of times in Paddington. I’ve seen the survivors on a few preserved lines over the last 2 decades or so though.

Seen it in Selby in I think 1984 or 5 , last time I ever seen her in steam. Union of South Africa will soon be a static exhibit as well as her owner is taking her off the mainline and heritage railway circuit after the current boiler ticket expires , which I think is next year.

Union of South Africa stopped at Stanhope once on some heritage railway trip. My parents had a caravan up there. I saw the post about it on Facebook, so I rang them and told my Dad to get himself up the station. They let him on the footplate and talked to him for ages while they got her ready for the next leg of the journey. He was in his element playing and Mam just about had to drag him away :D

Union of South Africa stopped at Stanhope once on some heritage railway trip. My parents had a caravan up there. I saw the post about it on Facebook, so I rang them and told my Dad to get himself up the station. They let him on the footplate and talked to him for ages while they got her ready for the next leg of the journey. He was in his element playing and Mam just about had to drag him away :D

Haha excellent :)

It isn't the money. Their argument is that if you reboiler her she will not be the same loco which broke the speed record so they keep her as she is , a stuffed dummy.
BTW , A3 locomotives ( same as the Flying Scotsman ) which had newly been repaired could apparently be seen on Sunderland - Penshaw - Durham trains on "running in turns".

Used to love the Deltics as a kid. My dad was a railway man so we got free rail travel and did quite a few trips in the late 70's / early 80's . The sound of the Deltics is quite unique....2 X 2 stroke diesel engines with all the burning oil and blue haze. The Inter City 125's were really boring in comparison .

I thought the HSTs (AKA Trams or Bananas) were pretty cool when first introduced. The brakes produced a smell like sweaty testicles when they were applied and the smell wafted through the train. It took some nerd at British Rail to figure out they had to wire the air con intake so it switched off when the brakes were applied then we could all unplug our noses.
Plus the HSTs had cool advertising.

Last edited:
Up till the 1980s normally Class 37.

They were pretty noisy buggere anarl. I lived in Hendon for a short while in late 80s in Salem Hill, which was just a couple of streets away from the tunnel exit leading down the line towards Hartlepool. If you were awake, you'd hear the rumble as it was coming through the tunnel from Wearmouth, with a blast of noise as it emerged. Asleep, however, and you didn't know anything about it until the bloody thing emerged, waking you up and frightening the shite out of you at the same time.

They were pretty noisy buggere anarl. I lived in Hendon for a short while in late 80s in Salem Hill, which was just a couple of streets away from the tunnel exit leading down the line towards Hartlepool. If you were awake, you'd hear the rumble as it was coming through the tunnel from Wearmouth, with a blast of noise as it emerged. Asleep, however, and you didn't know anything about it until the bloody thing emerged, waking you up and frightening the shite out of you at the same time.

They are nicknamed Tractors due to their gruff sounding engines.

This watch turned up in an auction recently and was used by Sir Nigel Gresley to time Mallard on her record breaking run. Note the price it sold for.

Lot 186, GCR Auction, Sale 241

Back