Deltics

I would like to know where the bloody money is coming from for all these replica locos. I cannot see what future there is in a failed diesel locomotive. What will future generations make of these nondescript relics?

It is individuals raising money for their. I'm not involved myself but I admire their hard work and ambition. The Titanic continues to fascinate people but it was the ultimate "failed ship".

It must have been noisy and full of smoke?
:lol: nah as its pulling out of Dewsbury if you look over to the right of the screen is Crackenedge lane, i`m up there far enough away from the lines...well about a couple of roadwidths anyway at the closest point. A lad i worked with lived in Sprinkwell Mill, the big mill on the left next to the tracks, now its all flashy apartments and he said it was horrific when they go past literally not much more than 10 - 15 feet away

40,English Electric type 4 was the pick of the early diesels for reliability, but underpowered for their size and weight 133 tons, 2000hp.
Had loads of them for haulage inc the Leeds Carslise over the S&C with D200 and the Edinburgh- Carlisle via newcastle with many class members , those were the days.

So the loco itself regulated the two engines' separate power settings? Pretty advanced for around 1958 I would say!
Yes. Also they could easily run on one power unit , and still reach 100mph with one too. Most of the time nowadays on the heritage railways they will be running on one unit.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, certain. Orders for classes of trains were used in different parts of the U.K. even after rail nationalisation?
The prototype Deltic (now at Shildon) was built in 1955 at the Vulcan foundry. It was the most powerful single unit diesel in the world. It was first trialed on the West Coast Main Line, succesful but proposed electrification scuppered any orders. It was sent to the East Coast Main Line was proved very suitable, orders for 22 production locos went in and were deliveredfrom 1961. They slashed journey times between Edinburgh and Kings Cross, the fastest in 1961 was six and a half hours. The full Deltic timetable, introduced in 1964 cut that time to six hours with Newcastle - Kings Cross cut from a fastest time of four and a half hours to three hours fifty five minutes.
The whole dieselisation scheme was experimental, Deltics were allocated to the Eact Cost main line abd tge ex Great Western was given diesel hydraulics. Classes such as 40,45, 47 fir instance could be found almost anywhere. Diesels were never considered as anything more than a stop gap until electrification.

My favourite. Listen to the sound of her :cool:

Tornado was funded mainly through donations and sponsorship.

Sir Nigel Gresley is undergoing an overhaul and donations have paid towards that. I bought my Dad a part to go on her instead of a birthday present and he was chuffed :D
I know that, some people not paying enough tax. Some of the proposed new build projects are a bit eccentric to me. The tears still being shed by people about the loss of steam engines borders on the insane.

There’s s
Some were a disaster, Metro Vicks, looked bad and were bad, quite a few new diesels were money down the drain.
D5705 still exists , wont be long before there is a working Co-Bo again!

On the beach?
Tune that mind.

:cool::confused:

Tornado was funded mainly through donations and sponsorship.

Sir Nigel Gresley is undergoing an overhaul and donations have paid towards that. I bought my Dad a part to go on her instead of a birthday present and he was chuffed :D
My favourite “kettle” the A4 - I have a pic of my Uncle hanging out the cab of one in LNER days at Tweedmouth loco sheds , he was a fireman then driver for LNER then BR until retirement in 1985 , he was also a MLF :cool:

Last edited:
I know that, some people not paying enough tax. Some of the proposed new build projects are a bit eccentric to me. The tears still being shed by people about the loss of steam engines borders on the insane.
Does preserving old buildings and any study of history also class as insane? If not, why not? I.e should Penshaw Monument, York Minster and St Pauls have been pulled down years ago?

I was about to look up which one was 60007, you are a step ahead.

I remember my dad talking about an A4 being in Philly sheds for years. Especially when I was at Shiney Row college. If you walked up to Philly you could get on the bus easilly, rather than wait in the long queue by the nearest bus stop. If I ever said Philly, I got the A4 story!

Any one know if there are plans to get the Mallard operational? That has to be one of the most iconic steam trains along with the Flying Scotsman. I’d love to see the pair of them pulling into a station side by side.

Last edited:
Does preserving old buildings and any study of history also class as insane? If not, why not? I.e should Penshaw Monument, York Minster and St Pauls have been pulled down years ago?

I was about to look up which one was 60007, you are a step ahead.

I remember my dad talking about an A4 being in Philly sheds for years. Especially when I was at Shiney Row college. If you walked up to Philly you could get on the bus easilly, rather than wait in the long queue by the nearest bus stop. If I ever said Philly, I got the A4 story!

Any one know if there are plans to get the Mallard operational? That has to be one of the most iconic steam trains along with the Flying Scotsman. I’d love to see the pair of them pulling into a station side by side.

I remember going to the Philly NCB works with my Dad and watching 60007 in steam, running up and down a short length of track, giving anyone who could climb onto the footplate a ride. All free and no sign of Health and Safety. I must have been about six or seven so it was mid 60's. I also remember putting the obligatory 1d on the track for the engine to run over and flatten.

Few years later returned to Philly to visit the SDO bus depot when it was there.

They weren’t Deltics though. No other compares with the sound level of a Deltic at full power.

Was at Kings Cross early evening (trainspotting) and there was a Deltic sitting at the buffers "dead". The driver decided to start her up just as a city type was walking past - I've never seen someone sh*t a brick so much as the 2 engines fired up and 2 huge plumes of smoke belched out the roof. Music!

There’s s
D5705 still exists , wont be long before there is a working Co-Bo again!

Tune that mind.

:cool::confused:
My favourite “kettle” the A4 - I have a pic of my Uncle hanging out the cab of one in LNER days at Tweedmouth loco sheds , he was a fireman then driver for LNER then BR until retirement in 1985 , he was also a MLF :cool:
They were ugly and not vety good, made in Stockton, I think.

Back