Deep Purple & Blue Öyster Cult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was meant to see Deep Purple back in ‘70 when they headlined with Free at the Rink.
Would have liked to have seen them back then with the original line up, just after Deep Purple in Rock was released.
In Rock wasn't recorded with the original line up

I saw Deep Purple at the Roundhouse a few years ago. They were great. As I am too young to have seen them in the 1970s in the classic line up, this is as much as I can expect, so enjoyed it.
As I am going to see Aerosmith later next year, I’ll have to give this one a miss.

Best known, but I'm not sure it was the best.

Machine Head is a classic, no doubt, but with the passage of time I'd put Burn & Stormbringer above anything else they did.
Naaaaa, no way.
I saw Deep Purple at the Roundhouse a few years ago. They were great. As I am too young to have seen them in the 1970s in the classic line up, this is as much as I can expect, so enjoyed it.
As I am going to see Aerosmith later next year, I’ll have to give this one a miss.
Been giving that one a little thought anarl.

Last edited:
Why?

In Rock hasn't stood the test of time. Fireball was poor & WDYTWA was very much hit & miss, with the best track not even on the UK version.
And Burn and Stormbringer have? Give over.

In Rock and Machine Head especially have better songs. The title track and Soldier of Fortune aside Stormbringer's pretty poor. Mk.II released four studio albums first time round, six in total, to Mk.III's two. Woman From Tokyo is on the UK pressing of WDWTWA? (you might have been confused there with Strange Kind of Woman which isn't on the UK pressing of Fireball). MkII also released Made In Japan which is vastly superior to MkIII's Made In Europe.

And Burn and Stormbringer have? Give over.

In Rock and Machine Head especially have better songs. The title track and Soldier of Fortune aside Stormbringer's pretty poor. Mk.II released four studio albums first time round, six in total, to Mk.III's two. Woman From Tokyo is on the UK pressing of WDWTWA? (you might have been confused there with Strange Kind of Woman which isn't on the UK pressing of Fireball). MkII also released Made In Japan which is vastly superior to MkIII's Made In Europe.
Sorry you're right, it was Strange Kind of Woman, but in all honesty I would say that the two albums from MkIII stand up better than those mentioned. I like the funk/soul approach of Stormbringer it was a real change & still sounds good today. Burn is an absolute classic.

In Rock was a classic of its day
Machine Head is one of the greatest albums of any era
Fireball - even at the time the band didn't like it
WDYTWA - some highlight, but more of a contractual obligation from a band going through it's death throws

Made in Japan, if it wasn't for The Mule & Space Truckin' would go down as one of my all time favorite live albums, so no argument there. Made in Europe was just shoved out while they tried to find a replacement for Blackmore

Sorry you're right, it was Strange Kind of Woman, but in all honesty I would say that the two albums from MkIII stand up better than those mentioned. I like the funk/soul approach of Stormbringer it was a real change & still sounds good today. Burn is an absolute classic.

In Rock was a classic of its day
Machine Head is one of the greatest albums of any era
Fireball - even at the time the band didn't like it
WDYTWA - some highlight, but more of a contractual obligation from a band going through it's death throws

Made in Japan, if it wasn't for The Mule & Space Truckin' would go down as one of my all time favorite live albums, so no argument there. Made in Europe was just shoved out while they tried to find a replacement for Blackmore
Hmm think we might have to agree to disagree to an extent - I think you at least acknowledge that Machine Head's still the Deep Purple album. Still take In Rock over the MkIII albums and I don't really see how it has aged any more than Burn. It's worth it just for Child In Time alone and it doesn't close with the awful A-800. I get there was a change in direction with Stormbringer but I don't think it was that well executed as the songs were a bit naff much like the filler on WDWTWA and to a lesser extent Fireball (wish I could stick it on for a reappraisal now but we've been telt not to stream at work for a bit and I forgot me iPod :lol:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back