Decent compact required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget = £250 roughly

My last 2 cameras have been Canons, the IXUS 860 and 960is. And to be honest I've not been that impressed with either. For all their anti-shake technology a lot of them have come out blurred. The other half seems to have a lot of problems with this as she has a tendency to look through the pane but hold it some distance from her face no matter how many times I tell her that will increase the shake.

Anyway we've decided to get a new one in time for Xmas and our holidays next year. There seem to be some decent deals popping up now and again. To be honest I know bits and pieces but not enough to know what is worth the joy so am looking for some advice. I'm not too fussed about size, weight, hand feel as it's more about the shots and not getting as much shake for the pair of us.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I've been looking at:

Sony DSC-HX9VB (probably the one I fancy the most)
Fuji x10
Canon S95 (yes I know)
Panasonic Tz20 (gets mixed reviews)
Olympus XZ-1

Or should I invest for better and get something like the Sony nex5-n?

I'll offer the same advice I always do.

Go to a store and hold one.

My Mrs has this camera and over it - except that the way she naturally holds it prevents the flash from popping up

I've been looking for a good compact for when its not feasible to lug about the SLR.

I'm a Nikonite in dsrl like but this has got some good reviews and a good feature set.

Particually the optical zoom and gps and a compact with manual controls is also a big + :lol:

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX230_HS/

Hasn't PTR just bought this?

Really fancy the Sony, just wish it would come back down in price again.
Might try the Canon on Saturday but I really don't want to buy it after my last two cameras, just don't have any faith in it. Especially judging by the example shots they give it on the Amazon website.

Well went to Jessops today.

Held the Sony DSCHX9V which I have to say felt lime a nice little camera. Flash is in an awkward place mind but I'm sure you'd get used to it.

Even though they have the camera as in stock on the website they had no S95s to show me as it is now discontinued. S100 at an extra £190 was the replacement. Erm no thanks. Shame really as I would have liked to have a soft play. Went over the road to another camera shop and that was the same, no S95 but they did have 12 of them in their London branch.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the V and the VB with regards to the Sony? Lass in the shop couldn't tell me and thoughth it may have been B for Black....

Bought an S95 a month or so ago and it is absolutely superb. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

if you look at Currys or pc world absolutely mint deal for the panasonic tz19 only £159.99 when you apply for cash back exclusive to them. Only difference between it and the tz20 is the gps tracking technology

if you look at Currys or pc world absolutely mint deal for the panasonic tz19 only £159.99 when you apply for cash back exclusive to them. Only difference between it and the tz20 is the gps tracking technology

its 179.99 on Pc world. just checked, and the t20 includes gps and 1080p video at amazon for £184

Must of changed was in there the other day and it showed 159.99 when you get the cashback

Yeah it will have been, just says they have extended the offer, musn't have sold all the stock or got extra in or something. Still a good deal like, but for the extra few quid i recon the TZ20 from amazon including the 1080p and GPS are worth it.

Reet, decided to bite the bullet and go with the majority.

Canon S95 ordered and has already been dispatched by Amazon. If it's not as good as I hope, I have 7 days to return.

Fingers crossed!

Reet, decided to bite the bullet and go with the majority.

Canon S95 ordered and has already been dispatched by Amazon. If it's not as good as I hope, I have 7 days to return.

Fingers crossed!

You won't regret it, it's an amazing little thing.

Well taken a few photos with it now and to be honest I am not enamoured with it.

Most of them at the moment are on automatic for quick xmas shots and a lot of them are coming out very bright. In addition normal portrait shots the faces are coming out slightly blurred. This whole image stablisation technology is a load of crap. My hands are hardly moving so it's not like extreme circumstances.

Doesn't feel any better than mu old IXUS 960IS and I hated that camera.

Bugger :neutral:

Well taken a few photos with it now and to be honest I am not enamoured with it.

Most of them at the moment are on automatic for quick xmas shots and a lot of them are coming out very bright. In addition normal portrait shots the faces are coming out slightly blurred. This whole image stablisation technology is a load of crap. My hands are hardly moving so it's not like extreme circumstances.

Doesn't feel any better than mu old IXUS 960IS and I hated that camera.

Bugger :neutral:
The S95 is the best compact on the market, IMO. That is of course apart from the s100 which I'm told is even better.

This is baring in mind i've also owned the 'best compact' of almost every brand of camera, including Panasonic, Nikon, Olympus, Sony etc etc

Are you shooting in low light? Is the focus locking before you take the shot?

If I were home I'd post some examples of photos I've taken that are pin sharp, and looking at reviews others have achieved this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back