Debenhams first major retail victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whsmiths is so relient on airports and transport hubs so well fucked at present

The airport ones are a pain, as soon as you are at the till the staff are onto you to show your boarding card so Smiths can claim the VAT, try my utmost not to use them.

Martin Lewis had a big campaign to force them to hand over the VAT savings but then only over £6 iirc. Hope they don't go cap in hand to the govt after making plenty of money on VAT at airports.

Now we have Brexit the VAT thing might stop so this stupid boarding pass carry on will end.

It’s apparent the physical retail sector is on its arse both before and after corona.
What’s the alternative for Debenhams? Chuck all the employees on the dole or save what jobs and sites they can even under fat mikes stewardship.
I don’t see any others coming forward to take these companies on?

So which would you prefer, save some of the jobs or stick all 20k shop employees on the dole in what will be a massive recession coming our way?

They only went into a ‘light’ administration today. But aye, they should take the very first offer that appears from a complete parasite.

They only went into a ‘light’ administration today. But aye, they should take the very first offer that appears from a complete parasite.
It could end up that he may be the only offer, or he might just say fuck it, let them go down in flames, less competition for his other outlets, it’ll keep bitter mags happy

2nd admin in a year and they missed a payment to their pension n'all
Arcadia group also facing a winding up order and WHSmiths going cap in hand to investors

I did my MBA 20 years ago.

"Why are WH Smiths still going" was a favourite question even back then. I still can't for the life of me work out why they are still on the high street. I get stations and airports, but the rest? Baffling

I did my MBA 20 years ago.

"Why are WH Smiths still going" was a favourite question even back then. I still can't for the life of me work out why they are still on the high street. I get stations and airports, but the rest? Baffling
Their high st shops are a disgrace whether its investment neglect, mismanagement or a combination I dont know. Mind I guess a lot of them would be on 20/25 yr leases but they are nothing but a drain on the travel arm of the business. Some have managed to remain relevant by sticking a post office in them but thats about it

Their high st shops are a disgrace whether its investment neglect, mismanagement or a combination I dont know. Mind I guess a lot of them would be on 20/25 yr leases but they are nothing but a drain on the travel arm of the business. Some have managed to remain relevant by sticking a post office in them but thats about it
The post office will always attract the Ada Brady type, who'll be happy to buy a few stamps, pick their pension up and change their £'s into € at 1 for 1.

The city centre itself is already fucked. If Debenhams goes, its looking very bleak for the city. I went for my permitted walk yesterday and because of the lack of people around it was even more noticeable how many buildings are without occupiers. Some of the buildings with occupiers may find it difficult to reopen once the current crisis is over. I really fear for the city and its future.

Interestingly on this point, when Ashley went before the common select committee, (i think) he stated that the gov needed to give some protection to high street retailers. His point being that online shopping was killing the high st. Now this on top. Lots of retailers and associated businesses and football clubs will die. Surprised some clubs have not already gone, re this CV.

WH Smiths + Post Office = the 2 shittiest customer service experiences in one place

Debenhams in the town is shite like. Tries to do lots of things but does them all pretty badly. I presume there is a demographic of people who are happy to just rock up and buy whatever tat is on offer at the asking price but unfortunately for Debenhams it’s a rapidly decreasing group of people.

I think department stores only have mass appeal now if they are high end or bargain orientated, like restaurants. The middle space just isn’t working, generally speaking.

The EU wanted to start taxing Amazon etc. The British public decided they didn’t want that and preferred to have their high streets slowly shut down instead. Of course the Conservative governed U.K. may start taxing all these offshore companies and/or their non Dom owners at the same rate they tax local businesses. We shall see.

The EU wanted to start taxing Amazon etc. The British public decided they didn’t want that and preferred to have their high streets slowly shut down instead. Of course the Conservative governed U.K. may start taxing all these offshore companies and/or their non Dom owners at the same rate they tax local businesses. We shall see.

That sounds a bit political...Amazons Europe headquarters are in Luxembourg. How are the EU getting on with that tax project?

First thing Amazon would threaten to do if they were hit with a big tax bill would be to move their logistics operations abroad.

'Tax us and we'll put tens of thousands out of work'. It's the same with all of the non-taxpayers.

The whole of the top end of the bridges could be gone - Debenhams, topman/topshop, select and there is already the USC shop which has been temporary use for some time and the sensory room. Only leaves pandora and Starbucks doesn’t it?

No there’s H & M, Footasylum, Schuh and the jewellers opposite Pandora as well.

It’s apparent the physical retail sector is on its arse both before and after corona.
What’s the alternative for Debenhams? Chuck all the employees on the dole or save what jobs and sites they can even under fat mikes stewardship.
I don’t see any others coming forward to take these companies on?

So which would you prefer, save some of the jobs or stick all 20k shop employees on the dole in what will be a massive recession coming our way?
This. The fact they employ 20,000 is a giveaway to their demise. Mental staff figures. Every time I pass thru the place they are standing about doing fuck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back