Debenhams first major retail victim.

2nd admin in a year and they missed a payment to their pension n'all
Arcadia group also facing a winding up order and WHSmiths going cap in hand to investors

Bridges will be absolutely fucked if they go mind

The city centre itself is already fucked. If Debenhams goes, its looking very bleak for the city. I went for my permitted walk yesterday and because of the lack of people around it was even more noticeable how many buildings are without occupiers. Some of the buildings with occupiers may find it difficult to reopen once the current crisis is over. I really fear for the city and its future.

Bridges will be absolutely fucked if they go mind

The whole of the top end of the bridges could be gone - Debenhams, topman/topshop, select and there is already the USC shop which has been temporary use for some time and the sensory room. Only leaves pandora and Starbucks doesn’t it?

The city centre itself is already fucked. If Debenhams goes, its looking very bleak for the city. I went for my permitted walk yesterday and because of the lack of people around it was even more noticeable how many buildings are without occupiers. Some of the buildings with occupiers may find it difficult to reopen once the current crisis is over. I really fear for the city and its future.

Suppose one option is that the stronger ones could be consolidated somewhat to try and create a more concentrated area of shops.

Could be seen as an opportunity to try and get new independent companies into the right areas or in the bridges however any of that will have a massive impact on the bridges as presumably their borrowing and projections based on a certain income level which will be unachievable now.

They’ve been poor for years and I’m not talking just financially either. They used to have some decent men’s gear around the early 2000s, now it’s just over priced shit. Why would I pay £130 for a Hammond blazer when I can get a ted baker one on sale for £20 less? Rocha John Rocha t shirts for £28 when you can get Tommy Hilfiguer ones for £25.

They’ve been poor for years and I’m not talking just financially either. They used to have some decent men’s gear around the early 2000s, now it’s just over priced shit. Why would I pay £130 for a Hammond blazer when I can get a ted baker one on sale for £20 less? Rocha John Rocha t shirts for £28 when you can get Tommy Hilfiguer ones for £25.
Yup. And why would anyone pay the price in the shop when you could buy online for half.

Suppose one option is that the stronger ones could be consolidated somewhat to try and create a more concentrated area of shops.

Could be seen as an opportunity to try and get new independent companies into the right areas or in the bridges however any of that will have a massive impact on the bridges as presumably their borrowing and projections based on a certain income level which will be unachievable now.
A small, bespoke company I was involved with in the early 2000s tried to get into the bridges, nigh on impossible.

It's been poor for a while. I'm in Sunderland, Newcastle and the Metrocentre ones regularly. They're always really quiet with hardly any customers in.

Back